Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Reusse: Can Catchers be kept Safe during the outbreak?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,558 posts

Posted 13 May 2020 - 11:08 PM

https://www.startrib...reak/570451492/

Patrick Reusse asks a legit question during this time... The key to any return of baseball is being able to keep the players safe. 

He talked to catchers such as Dan and Eli Wilson, Mike Redmond and others, including Joe Mauer who said,

“You can’t avoid close proximity as a catcher,” Mauer said. “You’re touching everything — figuratively, as far as being in on every pitch, and literally … baseballs coming from pitchers, fielders and umpires.

“I don’t think catchers are going to want to have a bottle of hand sanitizer taped on them so they take a splash every time they handle a baseball.

#2 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 3,453 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 14 May 2020 - 07:16 AM

Just the latest example of the many obstacles MLB needs to overcome in order to play games this summer. It all comes down to keeping everyone (EVERY ONE!) separated from the virus. Can it be done? Well, in theory, yes. But, as my son once said: In theory, in theory and in practice are always the same. However, in practice, in theory and in practice are rarely the same.

• woolywoolhouse likes this

#3 Tomj14

Tomj14

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,165 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 08:17 AM

So having 30 people in a the partially enclosed dugout is fine, but 3 people next to home plate isn't?

• DocBauer likes this

#4 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,558 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 09:11 AM

Just the latest example of the many obstacles MLB needs to overcome in order to play games this summer. It all comes down to keeping everyone (EVERY ONE!) separated from the virus. Can it be done? Well, in theory, yes. But, as my son once said: In theory, in theory and in practice are always the same. However, in practice, in theory and in practice are rarely the same.

Can you repeat the part about the stuff? Ha!!

But yes, there will be a lot of risks involved.

• MN_ExPat likes this

#5 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 625 posts
  • LocationBelo Horizonte, Brazil

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:02 AM

The electronic strike zone will help. One great thing about catchers is that they will tackle this as they do w/ all challenges w/ grit. Pray that they won`t get the virus & if so it`d be mild.

• operation mindcrime likes this

#6 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 26,553 posts
  • LocationFrostbite Falls, MN

Posted 14 May 2020 - 11:29 AM

So having 30 people in a the partially enclosed dugout is fine, but 3 people next to home plate isn't?

I think the point might be, if it's not safe for 3 people at home plate, how is it safe for 30 people in a dugout?

• KGB, DocBauer, Tomj14 and 1 other like this
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

#7 SomeGuy

SomeGuy

Ft Myers Miracle

• 474 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 03:51 PM

I think the point might be, if it's not safe for 3 people at home plate, how is it safe for 30 people in a dugout?

The entire stadium will be empty, I think they can find room for each team to spread out.

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

#8 SomeGuy

SomeGuy

Ft Myers Miracle

• 474 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 04:07 PM

The odds of catching the virus have to be so much higher doing ordinary daily essential activity than catching it from the surface of a briefly held baseball where everyone is being constantly tested.They will never get to zero risk, it comes down to do you want to go to work and make money with a small chance of catching/spreading it or sit this season out and possibly next season.Even if an outbreak does occur, there are no fans so each game exposes what, a hundred people at most?Ask the local cashier making $10 per hour how much they care that you have to throw and catch a baseball.

“I don’t think catchers are going to want to have a bottle of hand sanitizer taped on them so they take a splash every time they handle a baseball."

Don't touch your face between every pitch!

• flpmagikat likes this

#9 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan for life!

• 26,039 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 14 May 2020 - 04:54 PM

The entire stadium will be empty, I think they can find room for each team to spread out.

At least the beer vendors won't have to make the long climb up to my usual seat in the upper, upper deck. Oh wait, they never come up there anyway.

• SQUIRREL and Nine of twelve like this

Build tunnels. Nobody burns their tunnels behind them.

#10 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 3,453 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 15 May 2020 - 09:23 AM

The odds of catching the virus have to be so much higher doing ordinary daily essential activity than catching it from the surface of a briefly held baseball where everyone is being constantly tested.They will never get to zero risk, it comes down to do you want to go to work and make money with a small chance of catching/spreading it or sit this season out and possibly next season.Even if an outbreak does occur, there are no fans so each game exposes what, a hundred people at most?Ask the local cashier making $10 per hour how much they care that you have to throw and catch a baseball.

“I don’t think catchers are going to want to have a bottle of hand sanitizer taped on them so they take a splash every time they handle a baseball."

Touching the baseball is only a small part of the problem. I think what's more problematic is being in close proximity to every player from the other team and the home plate umpire. 

#11 OldTimeTwinkie

OldTimeTwinkie

• 199 posts

Posted 17 May 2020 - 08:40 AM

What are the first baseman going to do when they have to keep social distancing when they have a man on first they can't visit with them anymore

#12 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan for life!

• 26,039 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 17 May 2020 - 09:05 AM

What are the first baseman going to do when they have to keep social distancing when they have a man on first they can't visit with them anymore

"Go ahead, take your lead, then we'll talk. Nah, nah, you could go farther than that. Just a little farther."

• Nine of twelve likes this

Build tunnels. Nobody burns their tunnels behind them.

#13 4twinsJA

4twinsJA

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 158 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 10:36 AM

Everyone will be tested multiple times a week, so chance to be exposed to someone positive on the field is very small. I agree with "some guy", there is more chance to get exposed to virus going to get your groceries than likelihood of a MLB player getting exposed playing baseball. I am fine with if some players opt to not play, but let the others play. There will already be an asterisk on this season.

#14 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,585 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 02:11 PM

Queue the "Mauer is fragile" comments...

#15 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,585 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 02:14 PM

Then how will third base coaches relay signals!

https://youtu.be/p0UxTe76Vmk

#16 Tomj14

Tomj14

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,165 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 02:37 PM

they could try banging on garbage cans in the dugout or may some sort of technology that would give them a little shock?

#17 Trov

Trov

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 642 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 10:29 AM

The key to keeping players 100% safe is to keep COVID out.The only way you do that is have screen in testing then isolate.Since players are not willing to fully isolate, which I do not blame them, then you take next best step and to screen as much as possible.However, it is still very likely it will get into someone and spread to rest.The odds are none of the players will have any major issues other than having to step away for two weeks.Most people that have major issues have underlying medical conditions.However, where the real risk comes in is the spread to family who may have those conditions, or the spread to others.  

We cannot live life without risk.When Blake Snell says he is risking his life, that is a bit over the top, as he would most likely not have sever reaction to it, but he could.However, the risk of spreading to others that may not be an in shape athlete.  

#18 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,705 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 01:27 PM

https://www.startrib...reak/570451492/

Patrick Reusse asks a legit question during this time... The key to any return of baseball is being able to keep the players safe.

He talked to catchers such as Dan and Eli Wilson, Mike Redmond and others, including Joe Mauer who said,

Not to mention that sanitizer on a baseball is likely considered a foreign substance that would result in unexpected movement of the ball.

#19 SomeGuy

SomeGuy

Ft Myers Miracle

• 474 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 01:46 PM

The 3rd base coach shouldn't be touching the ball anyway.He can touch his face all he wants IMO.

#20 SomeGuy

SomeGuy

Ft Myers Miracle

• 474 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 01:52 PM

The virus has really taken the wind out of my baseball sails. A half season with new divisions just doesn't sound that appealing. I will always have to look at this season as a special case where the World Series doesn't hold as much clout or even count. At this point I hope they totally blow it up with a once in a lifetime season.Do like a short season then an all 30 team playoff or something ridiculous.