Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

ESPN Ranking of all the World Series Played

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 puckstopper1

puckstopper1

• 536 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 04:13 PM

Pretty interesting read.

https://www.espn.com...-mlb-history#17

#2 - Twins over Braves (#1 was Reds over Red Sox in 1975)

#32 - Dodgers over Twins

#56 - Twins over Cardinals (I may have moved that up a few notches).

Thoughts?

• glunn, Oldgoat_MN, David HK and 1 other like this

That Twins 2nd baseman - #29 - he doesn't run, he "ca-rew-zes" - Earl Weaver

#2 ashbury

ashbury

Visalia Oaks

• 25,344 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 04 May 2020 - 05:47 PM

Thoughts?

I think the ad ESPN wanted me to watch, merely so that I could watch for the umpteenth time Carlton Fisk wave his arms a bit, was too lengthy.

If you judge people, you have no time to love them. -- Mother Teresa

#3 old nurse

old nurse

• 4,031 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 06:56 PM

The call was viewed as iconic, and the clip shows that the reasoning for number 1 ranking was not true.

• David HK likes this

#4 puckstopper1

puckstopper1

• 536 posts

Posted 05 May 2020 - 12:17 PM

The call was viewed as iconic, and the clip shows that the reasoning for number 1 ranking was not true.

Agree, Nurse. 

Arguably THE greatest Minnesota sports moment of all time...

• David HK likes this

That Twins 2nd baseman - #29 - he doesn't run, he "ca-rew-zes" - Earl Weaver

#5 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• 3,140 posts

Posted 05 May 2020 - 08:40 PM

This is really good.

A lot of interesting facts I never knew, which is all I can ask for out of an article.

This writer did a really good job.

• David HK likes this

#6 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• 1,583 posts

Posted 05 May 2020 - 09:04 PM

Agree, Nurse. 

Arguably THE greatest Minnesota sports moment of all time...

At least until the next night. 

• ashbury, mickeymental and David HK like this

#7 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

bomba stick

• 8,712 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 10:46 AM

And #3 was the Senators' win.

Should i be disappointed at the brevity of their commentary for #2?

I guess not. It's just a game.
  • ashbury, denarded, Oldgoat_MN and 1 other like this

#8 denarded

denarded

• 136 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 11:42 AM

1991 was the greatest. If it had involved the Sox or Yankees you would hear it mentioned every year. 4 games decided in last at bat, 3 extra inning games and a pitcher going 10 innings of shutout ball in the finale? What more do you need? (Not the markets of Atlanta and Minneapolis). DiMaggio's hit streak will be broken before a pitcher throws 10 innings of shutout baseball in game 7. Also, what a short write up about the #2 game. Give some credit espn. Done ranting. 

• glunn, diehardtwinsfan, mickeymental and 1 other like this
Wikipedia is for suckers

#9 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

Ft Myers Miracle

• 375 posts
  • LocationBelo Horizonte, Brazil

Posted 06 May 2020 - 12:37 PM

Agree the `87 Twins - Cardinals WS was better because Twins were under dogs & finally MN got the monkey off their backs was huge. Like the Twins winning the Yanks now in post season

• glunn and puckstopper1 like this

#10 rghrbek

rghrbek

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 696 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 12:59 PM

I would say the list is pretty good.  They try to use multiple items to measure it.  Fisk's walk off was iconic visually with the waving, more so than Pucks.  I'll take Kirby's though.  Hard for me since I was 6 when Fisk hit his and in college in 91

Twins/Cards, pretty small market WS, Cardinals missing their most potent bat, Twins kind of a one trick pony.  Games, some of them, were just not compelling enough for those people outside of MN and St. Louis.  I am fine where that is.

Fun to revisit.  Good effort.

#11 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• 1,583 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 08:01 PM

I'm biased and would put 1991 over 1975, but 1975 was more than Fisk. 

G1: 0-0 through 6 before Boston scores 6.

G2: Reds score two in T9 to win 3-2. 

G3: Reds win 6-5 in 10.

G4: Boston leads 5-4 after 4 and both teams go scoreless the rest of the way. Complete game for Tiant. Reds get 5+ innings of scoreless relief.

G5: 6-2 Reds. 

G6: Carbo 3 run PH HR to tie in the 8th, Foster throws out Doyle at home from foul territory in B9, Evans great catch to start 9-3-6 DP at 1B in 11th, and Fisk.

G7: Morgan plates winner with 2 outs in T9. 

First Red Sox series in a long time and Cincy in a streak of 4 appearances in 7 years. 

• ashbury and notoriousgod71 like this

#12 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• 3,140 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 08:55 PM

The three best I've seen are 91, 01, and 11 in that order.

#13 strumdatjaguar

strumdatjaguar

Ft Myers Miracle

• 403 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 11:21 AM

The Eastern Sports Promotion Network (ESPN) gives long descriptions of just about every lesser World Series (in their own ratings). Then when it comes to 1991 and their second rated WS, they write a measly sentence. 1991 should be #1 anyways. 

Notice the #3 rated World Series was also won by our favorite franchise, back in their days as the Washington Senators. Great silent-film newsreel of Game Seven of that series in the same ESPN article that gives ridiculously little ink to the 1991 series it ranks as #2. 

#14 Jimv

Jimv

Elizabethton Twins

• 18 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 11:20 PM

Not interested in debating #2 vs #3, etc.There are no right answers. But very gratified to see 1991 ranked very high.That was a spectacular, intense series with so many memorable moments.People with no rooting interest adored that series.I was having an early anniversary dinner with my wife during game 6 at the old Living Room restaurant. The game was on in the bar area and a few times I snuck into the bar "on the way to the bathroom" to see how it was going.I didn't have a good feeling. But I did hear a couple of roars from the bar, and then as we were wrapping up dinner, one of the guys from the bar came over to our table and with a big smile on his face, said "see you tomorrow night!"

1987 was a ton of fun if you're a Twins fan, but not as exciting for someone with no rooting interest.

• ashbury, Oldgoat_MN and Nine of twelve like this

#15 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• 1,583 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 10:41 AM

Not interested in debating #2 vs #3, etc.There are no right answers. But very gratified to see 1991 ranked very high.That was a spectacular, intense series with so many memorable moments.People with no rooting interest adored that series.I was having an early anniversary dinner with my wife during game 6 at the old Living Room restaurant. The game was on in the bar area and a few times I snuck into the bar "on the way to the bathroom" to see how it was going.I didn't have a good feeling. But I did hear a couple of roars from the bar, and then as we were wrapping up dinner, one of the guys from the bar came over to our table and with a big smile on his face, said "see you tomorrow night!"

1987 was a ton of fun if you're a Twins fan, but not as exciting for someone with no rooting interest.

Sneaking off to watch the game during the anniversary dinner, huh? Oh well, at least when you were stuck on the couch that night, you were able to watch the highlight shows.

• ashbury, Nine of twelve and Jimv like this

#16 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 2,828 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 11 May 2020 - 04:45 PM

Sneaking off to watch the game during the anniversary dinner, huh? Oh well, at least when you were stuck on the couch that night, you were able to watch the highlight shows.

That depends on how sneaky the sneaking was.

And BTW I didn't have to do any sneaking because my brand new wife and I were at the game.

• IndianaTwin likes this

#17 ashbury

ashbury

Visalia Oaks

• 25,344 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 11 May 2020 - 04:50 PM

And BTW I didn't have to do any sneaking because my brand new wife and I were at the game.

You married well. Promise me you still don't sneak. :)

If you judge people, you have no time to love them. -- Mother Teresa

#18 Jimv

Jimv

Elizabethton Twins

• 18 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 10:59 PM

That depends on how sneaky the sneaking was.

Right.There's sort of a line as to how much time you can be away from the table that I was careful not to cross--by too much. In truth, though, I suspect she knew exactly what I was doing.She's very understanding about balancing multiple priorities.

#19 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• 1,583 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 11:35 AM

Right.There's sort of a line as to how much time you can be away from the table that I was careful not to cross--by too much. In truth, though, I suspect she knew exactly what I was doing.She's very understanding about balancing multiple priorities.

And by that point in the relationship, I’d hope she realized what/who she was dealing with! :-)

• Jimv likes this

#20 Longdistancetwins

Longdistancetwins

• 197 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 15 May 2020 - 03:34 PM

Yeah, I'm the only person in the world who remembers hearing Fisk's home run on the RADIO!But I do remember telling my college roommate at the time that 1975 was a great series.Not necessarily better than '91, though.