Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Astros Sink Even Lower? Deny Charity Auction.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 6,520 posts

Posted 30 April 2020 - 05:26 PM

According to a report I just read on CBS Sports...(I don't have the link handy)...former Astros scout David Brito was intending to auction off his 2017 Astros World Championship ring for charities in New Jersey suffering from the covid-19 virus. Proceeds were to go to a hospital and to purchase personal protective equipment for additional care facilities.

Apparently, there is an agreement that any ring to be auctioned off must first be offered back to the Astros for $1. That's right, a single GW bill. Needless to say, the charity auctioning of the ring is now cancelled.

To be fair, it was also reported a former Cubs employee attempted to auction off a similar 2016 ring, but there is no reporting to exactly when, and whether that cancelled auction was for charity, or which one, or for personal funds. The same $1 buyback option also existed. So again just being fair.

But in the time of this world wide pandemic, and for an organization already embattled and embarrassed, isn't this sinking to an even worse low? To deny the raising of funds for a hospital and care works during this pandemic seems reprehensible to me. I can't even imagine anything other than stupid pride is involved here.

Any thoughts or reactions?
  • nclahammer likes this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#2 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,724 posts

Posted 30 April 2020 - 06:55 PM

I don't like the Astros.

But to be fair, a 2017 WS ring is probably only worth a buck anyway.

• LimestoneBaggy, woolywoolhouse, Circus Boy and 5 others like this

#3 Sconnie

Sconnie

Wooo!

• 6,080 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 30 April 2020 - 07:14 PM

I don't like the Astros.

But to be fair, a 2017 WS ring is probably only worth a buck anyway.

https://www.google.c...ampionship/amp/

There’s roughly 90 grams of gold at $55 per gram and 10 carats of gem stones, mostly diamonds at $1000/carat. You could sell it at one of those gold shops for around $12k-15k at retail, so maybe $6-8k at scrap rates.
  • SQUIRREL, DocBauer and Nine of twelve like this

#4 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,724 posts

Posted 30 April 2020 - 10:52 PM

Ugh, tough crowd! I was only trying to denigrate the Astros' fraudulent championship. 

• DocBauer, tarheeltwinsfan, David HK and 2 others like this

#5 David HK

David HK

Minnesota Twins

• 3,526 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 30 April 2020 - 11:31 PM

An organization that wasn't tone-deaf or just didn't care whatsoever would find a way around this. 

So, even if it's a rule, it's a buyback "option" they don't have to take. Or they could take it, and then turn around and donate it again. You'd think that someone, anyone who gets paid to be a PR person, or heck, OWNS THE CLUB would figure this out.

I hate them even more now.

• gunnarthor and DocBauer like this

#6 TFRazor

TFRazor

Who's on first?

• 788 posts

Posted 01 May 2020 - 11:49 AM

I mean it's either give it away for charity or throw it in the trash can...

• tarheeltwinsfan likes this

#7 dex8425

dex8425

Ft Myers Miracle

• 250 posts

Posted 01 May 2020 - 02:26 PM

Ugh, tough crowd! I was only trying to denigrate the Astros' fraudulent championship. 

I thought it was good.

• DocBauer likes this

#8 Sconnie

Sconnie

Wooo!

• 6,080 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 01 May 2020 - 05:30 PM

B75AF251-01EA-46D3-B2AE-69BE3E1A645A.gif
  • Mike Sixel and TFRazor like this