Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Proposal for the St. Paul Saints to be an affiliated MiLB team

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 2,872 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 25 April 2020 - 10:41 AM

Unfortunately the PCL would be the only real fit. The Saints are too big for the Midwest League, AA doesn't come near the midwest, and the International League stops in Indianapolis. 

Not necessarily. If St. Paul gains a AAA franchise, some other city would lose one. If it were a current IL city that lost out St. Paul could just replace that team.

#22 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Owner
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 25 April 2020 - 01:13 PM

Back in August 2015, we did a bit at CHS Field where we tried to catch "home run balls" while holding a beer. 

Shameless plug...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

Afterward, we chatted with a Saints GM who has since moved on from the team. He told us that the field plans actually include expansion opportunities for the third base line (extending that suite/second deck down the left field line) and plans to add bleacher seating where the berm currently is. The Saints were 100% content with the product but they knew during the planning process that there could be a future where they jump into the Midwest League or even an AAA/PCL realignment (Des Moines, Omaha, Wichita, and St. Paul might be a plausible division grouping) and need more seating. 

• DocBauer, rdehring and Nine of twelve like this

"You spend a good piece of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time." -- Jim Bouton, "Ball Four"

#23 JosiahDeBoer

JosiahDeBoer

Elizabethton Twins

• 5 posts

Posted 25 April 2020 - 02:08 PM

Not necessarily. If St. Paul gains a AAA franchise, some other city would lose one. If it were a current IL city that lost out St. Paul could just replace that team.

That would still be quite the travel schedule though, with no road games closer than 3 states away, and some all the way out to the East coast. I'm not sure that that's feasible.

• Monkeypaws likes this

#24 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 2,872 posts

Posted 25 April 2020 - 03:49 PM

That would still be quite the travel schedule though, with no road games closer than 3 states away, and some all the way out to the East coast. I'm not sure that that's feasible.

If Memphis and Nashville teams can make a PCL schedule work then St. Paul can certainly do the same. And IL travel would be easier than PCL travel.

#25 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,584 posts

Posted 26 April 2020 - 10:59 PM

I don't know the ins and outs of the contracts between Major League franchises and their affiliates, but I'm sure the affiliates don't get all the profit. Even so I would think an agreement could be negotiated that would satisfy Saints ownership.

The costs would not be terribly far off from what was suggested in the post you're replying to, however, teams put the burden on the city/affiliate to keep the stadium at the MLB team's particular level of standard with technology and player/staff accommodations and such. All that, and there is no obligation for any one major league team to stay beyond 2-3 years with an affiliate, hence the affiliate shuffle every two years as teams get affiliates to offer profit sharing, new stadiums, etc. in order to attract a big league club.

In other words, the Saints could have a team in 2021 and not in 2024, and that'd be absolutely "normal" for affiliated ball. It'd make sense to stay away for a successful independent franchise.

• Nine of twelve likes this

Purveyor of videobaseballscout.com to cover all kinds of baseball!!

#26 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 2,872 posts

Posted 27 April 2020 - 08:06 AM

The costs would not be terribly far off from what was suggested in the post you're replying to, however, teams put the burden on the city/affiliate to keep the stadium at the MLB team's particular level of standard with technology and player/staff accommodations and such. All that, and there is no obligation for any one major league team to stay beyond 2-3 years with an affiliate, hence the affiliate shuffle every two years as teams get affiliates to offer profit sharing, new stadiums, etc. in order to attract a big league club.

In other words, the Saints could have a team in 2021 and not in 2024, and that'd be absolutely "normal" for affiliated ball. It'd make sense to stay away for a successful independent franchise.

This is good and interesting insight. Do you know if teams ever agree to longer-term contracts? Does anyone know if the Twins are engaging in any kind of pursuit of St. Paul as an affiliate?

#27 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,584 posts

Posted 27 April 2020 - 06:17 PM

This is good and interesting insight. Do you know if teams ever agree to longer-term contracts? Does anyone know if the Twins are engaging in any kind of pursuit of St. Paul as an affiliate?

Basically, your biggest shot of a long-term affiliation is if the big league club decides to buy the affiliate. Then the affiliate is no longer community-owned, though. It's now the big league club's team. The only thing the town offers at that point is a stadium to host games.

There can be longer contracts of 3-5 years instead of 2-3 years, but that's about as crazy as it typically gets.

• Nine of twelve likes this

Purveyor of videobaseballscout.com to cover all kinds of baseball!!

#28 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 6,520 posts

Posted 27 April 2020 - 08:37 PM

"If both sides agree, it would mean as many as 42 current minor league teams would be lopped off by eliminating short-season and Rookie ball"

This is interesting in a "I don't think I like this way". We (I) clearly don't have all the info on the proposal, but if this is done, how will theyphase in draftees? 

By the end of their respective seasons, HS and College players have often played a ton of games by this point.Do they plan on just throwing them into A Ball?

College players could probably make the A ball transition more smoothly, but HS kids?Even the most advanced ones could conceivably have a much more difficult time.We shall see I guess.

Great post!

Kind of went over this in another thread, but still, the Twins and about half the ML teams have 6 affiliates from low rookie, high rookie, low A, high A, AA and then AAA. Short season, as I understand it, is sort of an "extra" quasi rookie low A level. There can't be more than 10-12 of them. Fine, get rid of them. But eliminating 42 makes ZERO SENSE!

No rookie ball? Where do your HS, DR and later round college players go for introduction? "Sink or swim guys, you're going straight to low A ball. Wish you the best! What were you thinking of doing the rest of your life when baseball didn't turn out?"

At that point, you are telling every single HS prospect who isn't s top 1-5 round pick to either go to college or hang it up. You're saying the same thing to a majority of Latin players of the same age who aren't the cream of the crop bonus babies. And even then, what ML team wants to give $100K up to a $1M+ to sink or swim for any player at A ball the first time they hit the states?

Can you imagine the Twins signing Kepler, Rosario and Sano as teenagers and then sending them straight to Cedar Rapids and "wishing them luck?" I can just about guarantee you Arraez wouldn't be a Twin right now unless he was a 21yo playing in the Mexican league and signed to a contract.

This is just stupid. Might as well make the ML draft 10 rounds of college players, a few choice HS players, and then scour the independent leagues and Mexican leagues for guys to bring up for A ball.

No, the product on the field won't suffer at all will it? Might as well start looking at softball league players as options.
  • rdehring likes this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#29 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• 2,426 posts

Posted 28 April 2020 - 09:02 AM

My prime beef with this whole plan, correct me if I'm wrong, was it seemed to be MLB's reaction/solution after they had egg on their faces when the news broke about how poorly many minor league baseball players were paid. 

#30 USNMCPO

USNMCPO

• 174 posts

Posted 28 April 2020 - 10:09 AM

Unfortunately the PCL would be the only real fit. The Saints are too big for the Midwest League, AA doesn't come near the midwest, and the International League stops in Indianapolis. 

I wonder if there wouldn't be a major realignment of leagues, perhaps even creating a whole new league. MLB is going so far, I would not be surprised to see them create the exact environment that they want.

#31 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 2,872 posts

Posted 30 April 2020 - 06:55 PM

For those who have not already read it, LEN III wrote this piece.

https://www.startrib...come/570097672/