Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Proposal for the St. Paul Saints to be an affiliated MiLB team

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 2,890 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 21 April 2020 - 08:54 PM

This piece is from the Strib website. Source is Baseball America.

https://www.startrib...july/569821132/

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

#2 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 2,890 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 08:58 PM

If this ever did come to pass I would think the team would have to be a Twins affiliate. I don't see a team in St. Paul drawing enough to be viable at the AAA level, but I could envision a Midwest League team there.

#3 drbob524

drbob524

• 161 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 08:43 AM

I dont know enough about minor league stadiums and facilities, but what level is CHS FIeld at? A, AA, AAA?

#4 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• 2,428 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 09:15 AM

Looking at some numbers from 2019, the Saints averaged about 8,000 per game, which puts them in the top 10 for all affiliated minor league teams. 

https://ballparkdige...nce-by-average/

• Oldgoat_MN, mikelink45, DocBauer and 1 other like this

#5 MN_ExPat

MN_ExPat

I had fun once... It was awful.

• 534 posts
  • LocationSouth Georgia (the state, not the country)

Posted 22 April 2020 - 09:16 AM

"If both sides agree, it would mean as many as 42 current minor league teams would be lopped off by eliminating short-season and Rookie ball"

This is interesting in a "I don't think I like this way". We (I) clearly don't have all the info on the proposal, but if this is done, how will theyphase in draftees? 

By the end of their respective seasons, HS and College players have often played a ton of games by this point.Do they plan on just throwing them into A Ball?

College players could probably make the A ball transition more smoothly, but HS kids?Even the most advanced ones could conceivably have a much more difficult time.We shall see I guess. 

• mikelink45, DocBauer and Nine of twelve like this

#6 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 2,890 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 09:40 AM

"If both sides agree, it would mean as many as 42 current minor league teams would be lopped off by eliminating short-season and Rookie ball"

This is interesting in a "I don't think I like this way". We (I) clearly don't have all the info on the proposal, but if this is done, how will theyphase in draftees? 

By the end of their respective seasons, HS and College players have often played a ton of games by this point.Do they plan on just throwing them into A Ball?

College players could probably make the A ball transition more smoothly, but HS kids?Even the most advanced ones could conceivably have a much more difficult time.We shall see I guess. 

I probably don't like it either, but the real question is how this move would eventually affect the major league teams. Regarding HS players, I'm sure teams will continue to draft them. For development of such players it would make more sense to me to eliminate not the rookie teams but rather the low-A teams.

#7 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 2,890 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 02:20 PM

Looking at some numbers from 2019, the Saints averaged about 8,000 per game, which puts them in the top 10 for all affiliated minor league teams. 

https://ballparkdige...nce-by-average/

Hmm. Maybe we could have the Twins AAA affiliate there. That would hold more interest for me than an indy league team. I might even consider going to a game.

• rdehring likes this

#8 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,907 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 02:28 PM

Hmm. Maybe we could have the Twins AAA affiliate there. That would hold more interest for me than an indy league team. I might even consider going to a game.

If the Saints were a Twins AAA team, I would go to more games there than Target Field.Only problem is we are too far west for the International League and I really don't like PCL with so many of the teams out west.Perhaps if this comes to pass, they will rework all these leagues and there will be a third AAA league made up of teams from the central part of the country.

All the young high school kids would play for their GCL team.If I recall what was said when this was first made public, the Appy League will cease to exist, but the GCL would continue.

#9 Tomj14

Tomj14

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,157 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 02:43 PM

I haven't been following this closely, but is reducing the minor leagues teams from 160 - 120 because of Covid? or a solution to help help reduce the cost of minor league baseball or something else?

To have a Twins minor league team in the Cities would be great, seems like a bad idea for a mid market major league team, because if they aren't good baseball fans love the promise of prospects and the minor league team could see more fans.

If it has to do with covid, I don't see the logic or difference in having 160 teams or 120.

#10 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 2,890 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 03:40 PM

If the Saints were a Twins AAA team, I would go to more games there than Target Field.Only problem is we are too far west for the International League and I really don't like PCL with so many of the teams out west.Perhaps if this comes to pass, they will rework all these leagues and there will be a third AAA league made up of teams from the central part of the country.

I don't think St. Paul would be bad in terms of location, especially if we resurrect the American Association. Look how far Tacoma is from the other teams in the PCL. (And that includes Memphis and Nashville, for Pete's sake!) It would sure seem a lot better to me if there were three 10-team leagues, one east, one central and one west.

I'm starting to get on board with this idea. Of course that means one other city somewhere will be out a AAA team but oh well. Franchises come and franchises go.

• rdehring likes this

#11 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,907 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 07:30 AM

I haven't been following this closely, but is reducing the minor leagues teams from 160 - 120 because of Covid? or a solution to help help reduce the cost of minor league baseball or something else?

To have a Twins minor league team in the Cities would be great, seems like a bad idea for a mid market major league team, because if they aren't good baseball fans love the promise of prospects and the minor league team could see more fans.

If it has to do with covid, I don't see the logic or difference in having 160 teams or 120.

If I recall MLB was proposing this change before COVID had shut everything down.Don't know their reasons, but gotta believe it is partially cost.Realistically, with most teams having well over 200 players in the system, including the DSL, there are many merely filling slots with almost zero chance of ever making the major leagues or even AA. 

So a reduction probably makes sense.Unfortunately, towns like Elizabethton are going to take a real hit with their baseball fans facing a lifestyle change.

• Tomj14, bighat and Nine of twelve like this

#12 USNMCPO

USNMCPO

• 174 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 10:55 AM

I dont know enough about minor league stadiums and facilities, but what level is CHS FIeld at? A, AA, AAA?

I read that CHS Field is a "A" stadium and that to make it a AAA stadium would "ruin" the looks of the stadium. I think it was Pat Reusse that said that so take it for what it is worth.

#13 Trov

Trov

Ft Myers Miracle

• 414 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 12:28 PM

I doubt the Saints will want to to join the affiliated, as the article said they like being independent.Right now, they have one of the best stadiums if not the best in their league, part of why MLB would like to add them is my guess.If I recall, not that I follow much, but the last two all star games in the league were at CHS field. 

I bet if they did get a Twins team attached, natural to assume they would, it would increase attendance most likely, but it would take away much of what the saints like to do.One, their manager and coaching staff would be gone, along with all their players.No more open try outs.I would bet much of the in game things they like to do would be gone too. 

I personally would not want AAA affiliate, although I am sure Twins would want that, because then it would be a short drive to call guys up, if they are both home.The players would most likely enjoy that too, no need to live in a hotel room, but you could get a home even if you would expect to spend much time at AAA.Might even get more players willing to sign for that reason.There would be a ton of bonuses for the Twins, I would think, but the Saints would have to agree, and Mr. Veck likes to do things his way and I doubt he would want to answer to the Twins for things. 

I lived in a AA town for 3 years, went to a few games.I knew many of the players as I followed the Twins minor league and would go to games when, at the time, Rock Kats were in town.I saw many current MLB players and was fun.The stadium was lessor than CHS field in my opinion too.  

In terms of the cutting down the teams, this was in talks months ago as many teams have decided they do not need as many as they have.Some have as much as 8 teams.I personally do not see a need for short season ball.Specifically the non-gulf coast/cactus league short season.I doubt it would have much affect on who is drafted, it would most likely just cut down the amount of draft picks. 

• Nine of twelve likes this

#14 theBOMisthebomb

theBOMisthebomb

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 924 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 05:50 PM

This would ruin the Saints experience to go affiliated. The Saints would already be in the top 10 for all of affiliated MiLB attendance wise at 8,000+ per game. CHS is already a top notch stadium fit for AAA. If they become the Twins AAA affiliate they would have to probably double seating capacity to handle the Twins fans filtering over to the east. For me, having the Saints go affiliated has zero appeal. I already go to many Saints game and enjoy the zany atmosphere and not really caring if the Saints win (though they usually do win). Seeing a Twins lite AAA version does nothing for me. Why not just go to Target Field instead?

#15 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,907 posts

Posted 24 April 2020 - 07:06 AM

The initial take is that the Saints wouldn't be interested.But does the economics push cause them to give this a longer thought?Currently, the Saints pay all player salaries and those of the coaching staff.If they were affiliated, the big league club would pick up all that cost.Thinking that attendance would stay the same, that's a lot of additional profit for the Saints.

#16 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 2,890 posts

Posted 24 April 2020 - 08:23 AM

This would ruin the Saints experience to go affiliated. The Saints would already be in the top 10 for all of affiliated MiLB attendance wise at 8,000+ per game. CHS is already a top notch stadium fit for AAA. If they become the Twins AAA affiliate they would have to probably double seating capacity to handle the Twins fans filtering over to the east. For me, having the Saints go affiliated has zero appeal. I already go to many Saints game and enjoy the zany atmosphere and not really caring if the Saints win (though they usually do win). Seeing a Twins lite AAA version does nothing for me. Why not just go to Target Field instead?

I respect your opinion, but substituting the word "change" for "ruin" makes your statement more accurate. I think it's very feasible to continue most of the things that make for a "zany atmosphere" whether the team is affiliated or independent, but there's nothing to say that any changes would be for the worse. And if you feel an affiliated team would be so popular that "they would have to probably double the seating capacity" that seems like a good thing to me.

#17 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 2,890 posts

Posted 24 April 2020 - 08:30 AM

The initial take is that the Saints wouldn't be interested.But does the economics push cause them to give this a longer thought?Currently, the Saints pay all player salaries and those of the coaching staff.If they were affiliated, the big league club would pick up all that cost.Thinking that attendance would stay the same, that's a lot of additional profit for the Saints.

I don't know the ins and outs of the contracts between Major League franchises and their affiliates, but I'm sure the affiliates don't get all the profit. Even so I would think an agreement could be negotiated that would satisfy Saints ownership.

#18 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 2,890 posts

Posted 24 April 2020 - 08:36 AM

I personally would not want AAA affiliate, although I am sure Twins would want that, because then it would be a short drive to call guys up, if they are both home. 

My guess is that the teams would not be home at the same time very often. I would think both teams would want to minimize the number of times they played at home on the same day.

• Cap'n Piranha likes this

#19 Cap'n Piranha

Cap'n Piranha

• 2,445 posts

Posted 24 April 2020 - 10:30 AM

I assume as long as the Twins have complete control over anything that involves the players, they would not care at all what the Saints do otherwise.

As concerns eliminating MiLB teams, I also think part of why teams want to do this is to pivot to more academies in the Caribbean and Central America.You could have A, AA, AAA, and then a short season league designed mostly for new draftees.If the Twins had their short season and A team in Ft Myers, and their AAA team in St Paul, Pensacola is the only affiliate not very much in the MLB team's orbit--much better for aligning and directing player development and support.

#20 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• 2,428 posts

Posted 25 April 2020 - 09:16 AM

Unfortunately the PCL would be the only real fit. The Saints are too big for the Midwest League, AA doesn't come near the midwest, and the International League stops in Indianapolis.