Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Braves interested in Josh Willingham

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:34 PM

David O' Brian, Braves beat writer for the Atlanta Constitution Journal, says its so. Also adds that the Twins are concerned about replacing that right-handed bat.

What say you? Trade Willingham?

#2 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

Old Geezer

• Members
  • 1,374 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:58 PM

Sure, Delgado and Minor?

May all our prospects be All Stars and the beer be free.

#3 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,954 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:03 PM

First, I'm a little disturbed that getting right-handed power power back would be a deal-breaker, so I'm going to gloss over that.

OK, let's break this down.....

In the Handbook, the pitchers Braves could offer are in this order... "Jair Jurrjens, Tommy Hanson, Paul Maholm, Randall Delgado, Mike Minor, Julio Teheran, Tim Hudson, and Kris Medlen."

No on Jurrjens (obviously) or Hanson or Maholm, or at least not straight up.
- Delgado....I'd think about that one a lot, though I might be a little worried that he would be another Frankie - just shaky enough control to doom him in this organization. But I'd be tempted.
- Minor - I think I would trade him for Minor straight up. I think he's figured it out. Not a #1 buy, but a solid #3 that they can ride for years.
- Teheran - I know he's more highly regarded, but I wouldn't trade for him right now. I'm worried about him.
- Hudson - I think it's a moot point
- Medlen - Well, sure, duh.

#4 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:07 PM

hanson , juan jaime, and carbrea, then give up a pair of non factor prospects to the angels for wells and 38 million

#5 Steve J

Steve J

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:08 PM

I say yes. Don't see his return getting higher, and we're looking at a logjam in the OF.

#6 jwestbrock

jwestbrock

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:10 PM

So, only really knowing who is on the Braves 40-man roster and not looking into their farm system since it said "replacement bat," implying someone who can take a roster spot next year, that would leave the options of Martin Prado, Dan Uggla, Andrelton Simmons, Tyler Pastornicky, Ernesto Meija and Paul Janish.

Now assuming a pitcher would come back as well we can eliminate Prado and Simmons from consideration because the only pitchers that the Twins are getting with them are AAAA, 5th starter types. Uggla is in pretty steady decline with the bat and his UZR/150 for his career is -4.5 so he has never been good at 2nd base, now a declining Uggla for one year is better than what is currently on the roster, but he has 3 more years at $13.2 million. So he should be a pass unless as a throw in with a Minor/Medlen/Delgado type pitcher. Pastornicky is Florimon but shakier defensively. Janish is a RH bat in name only and Meija is a 27 year old AAA first baseman. So I don't really know if they are aiming for a RH replacement bat and a pitcher, they may be hard up with the Braves.

#7 ericchri

ericchri

Generally Clueless

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:13 PM

I think that tweet only suggested the Twins would be worried about replacing the RH bat if they made that move, not that it had to be part of the deal. Seems doubtful they'd get ML ready starting pitching and a ML ready hitter back in return for just him. Willingham seems more likely to be a deadline trade if Plouffe is hitting well and the Twins are out of it, for that reason, due to the uncertainty of having any legit RH in the lineup.

#8 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:15 PM

I brought this up a couple months ago & I stick to it.....Dan Uggla (as well as an obvious pitcher back) takes care of the RH hitter.
I am NOT scared off by his 3yr/39m left...esp with Morneau's deal coming off. This team has MLB's weakest middle infield and has for the past decade & refuses to address it.
Uggla was an all star last yr but had his worst statistical year.....86runs(2nd worse) 29doubles, 48XBH (worst ever) 19HR 78RBI(both worst ever) 94BB.....these numbers would make him the best hitting middle infielder since Knoblauch. He had an .803OPS on the road as his struggles were in ATL (.656OPS) & mostly June/July. Strong other 4 months.
He's been criticized for his defense (rightly so) but was excellent last season as ATL had the best team defense in baseball.
We've seen with Willy what can happen when hitters vary from the 'Twins Way' & let them swing for the fences
I am available for criticism on this but absolutely would personally love to get him

#9 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,034 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:16 PM

If they offer one of their guys - you do this and run to the bank. This should be music to any Twins' fans ears.

#10 jianfu

jianfu

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:19 PM

David O' Brian, Braves beat writer for the Atlanta Constitution Journal, says its so. Also adds that the Twins are looking for a RH replacement bat in return.

What say you? Trade Willingham?

If doing so nets them a young, cheap starter to upgrade the rotation now? Absolutely.

Although the "get a replacement RH bat" brings back uncomfortable memories of the logic that led to the Delmon (currently a FA!) trade. Maybe they could strike a deal and then bring back Torii for one last hurrah... Nah.

I get the sense sometimes Ryan just doesn't/won't think two or three moves down the road. They need pitching; they don't have many avenues to get it; if an opportunity comes, I'd prefer they just do so and deal with untied ends later.

Yes, Willingham was fantastic (and healthy) this past year. He probably will be less so next year.

Edited by jianfu, 07 November 2012 - 04:22 PM.

#11 Jim Crikket

Jim Crikket

• Members
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:19 PM

First, I'm a little disturbed that getting right-handed power power back would be a deal-breaker, so I'm going to gloss over that.

- Teheran - I know he's more highly regarded, but I wouldn't trade for him right now. I'm worried about him.

Yeah it's a big leap to assume from that little tweet that it means the Twins would need a replacement for Willingham in the Braves deal. It's just stating the obvious, if they trade him, they'll need to replace his bat somehow.

John, what worries you about Teheran? I haven't looked at these guys in depth, but just glancing over them last week I thought he looked like he might be someone worth trying to acquire. What am I missing?
[COLOR=#0000cd]I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at[/COLOR][COLOR=#800000] Knuckleballsblog.com[/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd] while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for [/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd][COLOR=#800000]MetroSportsReport.com[/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd].[/COLOR] [COLOR=#0000cd]
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#b22222]~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~[/COLOR]

#12 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Low Life with Upside

• Members
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:23 PM

- Minor - I think I would trade him for Minor straight up. I think he's figured it out. Not a #1 buy, but a solid #3 that they can ride for years.

Totally agree with Mr. Bonnes. If the Twins were able to acquire one of these 2 guys for Willingham straight up... forget "Hammer Time", it's party time for Twins Nation!

#13 jjswol

jjswol

• Members
  • 60 posts
  • LocationMinnesota or Florida

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:37 PM

I would take Hanson, or Delgado, or Minor along with Teheran for Willingham and either Span or Revere. I would pass on Uggla because he makes Plouffe look like Roberto Alomar. I know that means 2 outfielders leaving but getting an opportunity to get two young pitchers like this doesn't happen too often.
[FONT=arial black]jjswol
[/FONT]

#14 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:44 PM

I cannot see at all that Delgado/Minor/Medlen would go for anything short of a CF replacement.

DOB has been jonesing for Willingham for a long time, and he is a HORRIBLE writer at inserting his views as team views, so unless someone other than DOB put this out with a direct Wren quote, I'd not believe it if I were a Twins fan. Wren seems much, much more concerned about CF right now and will fill that first going by all his interviews this offseason.
Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

#15 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:46 PM

I would take Hanson, or Delgado, or Minor along with Teheran for Willingham and either Span or Revere. I would pass on Uggla because he makes Plouffe look like Roberto Alomar. I know that means 2 outfielders leaving but getting an opportunity to get two young pitchers like this doesn't happen too often.

IF you do the Uggla deal for Willy....you could theoretically keep Revere/Span since you will improve your offense/power enough @ 2B to warrant havin a second base hitting type in Revere in LF. Not that you would, but you could.

#16 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:47 PM

John, what worries you about Teheran? I haven't looked at these guys in depth, but just glancing over them last week I thought he looked like he might be someone worth trying to acquire. What am I missing?

Not John, but as the resident Braves fan, I'll comment that Teheran stalemated at AAA this year after dominating as a 20 year old last year at the same level. He's still got the same upside, but he's shown some personality/attitude stuff that could be concerning. Prospecting types that focus more on stats than scouting have dropped Teheran off the face of the earth. Types that focus more on scouting still have dropped him significantly.

#17 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:49 PM

I would take Hanson, or Delgado, or Minor along with Teheran for Willingham and either Span or Revere

Hanson and Teheran, possibly, maybe on Delgado/Teheran, and no on Minor/Teheran on likelihood of those happening. And it'd certainly be Span over Revere.

#18 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:50 PM

Totally agree with Mr. Bonnes. If the Twins were able to acquire one of these 2 guys for Willingham straight up... forget "Hammer Time", it's party time for Twins Nation!

Can't see either one being available for Willingham alone, however.

#19 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:54 PM

I would be for trading Willingham if we can get a couple pitchers back in return. One ready now, one in the future.

I would then go out and sign Torii Hunter to a one year contract to bring in a RH bat, take Willinghams spot. A potential OF of Hunter/Span/Revere could be pretty damn amazing defensive wise.

#20 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:05 PM

I would be for trading Willingham if we can get a couple pitchers back in return. One ready now, one in the future.

I would then go out and sign Torii Hunter to a one year contract to bring in a RH bat, take Willinghams spot. A potential OF of Hunter/Span/Revere could be pretty damn amazing defensive wise.

Unless it's Hanson and someone like Aaron Northcraft, Gary Moran, Gus Schlosser, or David Hale, two pitchers just for Willingham isn't happening.

#21 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:35 PM

Unless it's Hanson and someone like Aaron Northcraft, Gary Moran, Gus Schlosser, or David Hale, two pitchers just for Willingham isn't happening.

I'd do that in a heartbeat. I think Hanson has some great potential and the 2nd guy doesn't have to be a can't miss prospect, just a guy who has a good shot to make a major league rotation in the future.

#22 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,049 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:57 PM

Yes, 100% I'd deal him for the guys John said. Yes, 100%. One pitcher is enough, frankly.
Lighten up Francis....

#23 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Low Life with Upside

• Members
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:02 PM

[quote name='biggentleben'][QUOTE=Bark's Lounge;61676][quote name='John Bonnes']
- Medlen - Well, sure, duh.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree with Mr. Bonnes. If the Twins were able to acquire one of these 2 guys for Willingham straight up... forget "Hammer Time", it's party time for Twins Nation![/QUOTE]

Can't see either one being available for Willingham alone, however.[/QUOTE]

I cannot disagree - but it would be nice... for the Twins that is.

#24 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:05 PM

[QUOTE=Bark's Lounge;61711][quote name='biggentleben'][QUOTE=Bark's Lounge;61676][quote name='John Bonnes']
- Medlen - Well, sure, duh.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree with Mr. Bonnes. If the Twins were able to acquire one of these 2 guys for Willingham straight up... forget "Hammer Time", it's party time for Twins Nation![/QUOTE]

Can't see either one being available for Willingham alone, however.[/QUOTE]

I cannot disagree - but it would be nice... for the Twins that is.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, just that Medlen has replaced Vizcaino in the "Four Horsemen" of the Braves that will take an incredible deal to pry away - Medlen, Minor, Delgado, and Teheran.

#25 JP3700

JP3700

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:13 PM

I would take Hanson, or Delgado, or Minor along with Teheran for Willingham and either Span or Revere

Hanson and Teheran, possibly, maybe on Delgado/Teheran, and no on Minor/Teheran on likelihood of those happening. And it'd certainly be Span over Revere.

If we can get two pitchers back, I would definitely approve trading Span and Willingham. It would make a lot of sense financially for the Braves.

I like Hanson but he has horrible mechanics and has lost close to 4 MPH from his fastball in the last 2 years. I think he's worth the gamble but there's a lot of risk there. Braves fans are worried about him being the next Jurrjens. I'd prefer Teheran over Delgado because of the higher ceiling but I would take either one as the other pitcher.

To replace Willingham's power you can sign Jonny Gomes .262/.377/.491 this past season in Oakland. He has severe splits but you can have Gomes, Parmelee, Morneau and Doumit for 1B/LF/DH/Bench bat. Move Revere to CF and sign a 1 year RF: Melky Cabrera or Grady Sizemore, Nate McLouth, Nate Schierholtz platooned with Mastroianni.

Good core of young pitchers: Teheran, Gibson, Diamond, Hanson, Hendriks

#26 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,954 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:17 PM

I cannot see at all that Delgado/Minor/Medlen would go for anything short of a CF replacement.

DOB has been jonesing for Willingham for a long time, and he is a HORRIBLE writer at inserting his views as team views, so unless someone other than DOB put this out with a direct Wren quote, I'd not believe it if I were a Twins fan. Wren seems much, much more concerned about CF right now and will fill that first going by all his interviews this offseason.

Really good insight on David O'Brien, Ben. Thanks. And it's great that you are able to respond to some of these questions.

It's worth noting on similar threads. It might pay when there is a thread involving another team that we reach out to any fans/writers of that team with a link to give their thoughts.

#27 Fire Dan Gladden

Fire Dan Gladden

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:24 PM

Ummm.. who wouldn't be interested in Willingham at this point. High production that comes cheap over the next 2 years.

#28 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,286 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:25 PM

I think that the Twins should buy low and sell high:

see if they can pry Delgado and one of Andrelton Simmons or Tyler Pastornicky (the latter probably more likely at this point), even if they have to throw someone like Carroll or one of the AAAA middle infielders they have. They got to think intermediate term at this point (2014-2015)

Edited by Thrylos, 07 November 2012 - 06:27 PM.

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#29 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 3,748 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:39 PM

Now's the time to move Willingham, not sure why the Braves would want to give away what's being suggested here but if's even close, TR should do it.

If they want a CF, we have one of those too.

#30 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:53 PM

I think that the Twins should buy low and sell high:

see if they can pry Delgado and one of Andrelton Simmons or Tyler Pastornicky (the latter probably more likely at this point), even if they have to throw someone like Carroll or one of the AAAA middle infielders they have. They got to think intermediate term at this point (2014-2015)

I really hope you're kidding. Simmons is probably the 2nd or 3rd most unmovable player on the Braves. Behind Heyward and maybe Freeman. No way would Simmons move for anyone short of a superstar. The only trade rumor where he's been mentioned without it being laughable is for Justin Upton.