Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Lawsuit filed against MLB regarding ticket refunds

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 2,890 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 21 April 2020 - 10:38 AM

This is the AP article on the matter, copied from the Strib website.

https://www.startrib...tion/569808942/

• glunn likes this

#2 puckstopper1

puckstopper1

• 546 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 11:41 AM

For those who do not subscribe to the Strib online, ESPN also has the story.

https://www.espn.com...sk-class-action

Hard not to side with the teams on this one - for now. They are likely not interested in providing refunds for games that still might be played. I don't believe the NHL or NBA has yet to provide refunds as both of those leagues still hope to resume play.

Once the games are officially cancelled, then the teams/leagues should honor all refund requests.

That Twins 2nd baseman - #29 - he doesn't run, he "ca-rew-zes" - Earl Weaver

#3 Trov

Trov

Ft Myers Miracle

• 414 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 12:09 PM

Without getting too deep into the weeds on this one, I find the fans suit to be a bad idea and most likely premature.Must of the suit will be based on what current refund policy is for postponed games, and then cancelled games.As the games are yet to be cancelled, and the suit is more of an anticipatory damages suit.The bigger issue is if they truly are seeking refunds, hiring an attorney and filing suit will not get it done quickly or get you full refund.Most likely the attorney is hoping for a class action to be certified and then they will get some where between 30 to 40 percent of the pay out, which could be a lot, but the fans will then be out 30 to 40 percent of their refund, that will most likely happen anyways if the season is cancelled or played without fans.  

Suits will take years to resolve, where waiting out to see where you are later in the season will get you and answer quicker, and then you could sue.I can get some of the fans that spent money on these games and now could use the money would want it, and the teams who are owned by billionaires, so they could take a little bit of hit, should do the good will and just grant them, but at same time they need to all work as one. 

Really, this will come down to a breach of contract claim, and I am sure the MLB lawyers have done a great job of covering the teams butt in crazy situations like this. 

• puckstopper1 likes this

#4 shimrod

shimrod

• 114 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 04:32 PM

Teams should be honoring refund requests, then this wouldn't be an issue.