Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Game Thread: Minnesota Twins (10-7) @ Toronto Blue Jays (10-7) 7:07pmCT

commentary garver polanco
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 thuuuuney

thuuuuney

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 124 posts

Posted 14 April 2020 - 12:04 PM

Catch-up
Sometimes baseball is a tough customer. The Twins have 9 hits, a walk, and score no runs in a 3-0 win by Toronto. The Twins would ground into FOUR double plays and take themselves out of rallies all game and get shutout for the first time this year.
The game wasn't all bad as Odorizzi gets his #1000 career strikeout, but in a season lacking consistent efforts, the Twins are again handed a tough loss. After going on a five game winning streak from March 28th- April 1st, the Twins have gone 4-6 since April Fools day.

Pre-game
6:45pmCT

Where to watch.

https://www.twitch.tv/thuuuuney/

Starting Pitchers

Toronto: Tanner Roark 3-0. 1.59 ERA, 22.2IP, 14 K's
Minnesota: Homer Bailey 0-1, 1.62 ERA, 16.2IP, 12 K's

Minnesota Batting Order

1. RF Max Kepler .190 BA, 3 HR, 6 RBI
  2. SS Jorge Polanco .293 BA, 2 HR, 11 RBI
  3. 3B Josh Donaldson .308 BA, 2 HR, 5 RBI
  4. C Mitch Garver .315 BA, 4 HR, 9 RBI
  5. DH Nelson Cruz .269 BA, 2 HR, 10 RBI
  6. LF Eddie Rosario .311 BA, 3 HR, 10 RBI
  7. 1B Miguel Sano .212 BA, 3 HR, 6RBI
  8. 2B Luis Arraez .260 BA, 1 HR, 3 RBI
  9. CF Byron Buxton .232 BA, 3 HR, 4 RBI

Broadcaster Prediction: The Bomba squad has been off to a rough start and I think the tide shifts today. Josh Donaldson after a rough game yesterday will look to have a comeback game against his former club.

Toronto Batting Order

1. SS Bo Bichette .284 BA, 1 HR, 6 RBI
  2. 2B Cavan Biggio .167 BA, 1 HR, 2 RBI
  3. DH Lourdes Gurriel Jr..281 BA, 4 HR, 7 RBI
  4. 3B Vladimir Guerrero Jr. .344 BA, 1 HR, 10 RBI
  5. 1B Travis Shaw .261 BA, 2 HR, 6 RBI
  6. RF Teoscar Hernandez .364 BA, 3 HR, 14 RBI
  7. LF Billy McKinney .282 BA, 4 HR, 7 RBI
  8. CF Derek Fisher .148 BA, 2 HR, 3 RBI
  9. C Danny Jensen .211 BA, 0 HR, 0 RBI

**= Teoscar HernandezT-2th in AL RBI, (16).

Bomba Tracker
- 2020: 24
- 2019 through 16 games: 26

Storylines
1. After being shutout for the first time this year, Rocco is bringing all hands on deck. Miguel Sano and Mitch Garver are back in the lineup as the Twins look to even the series in the battle for the north.
2. With Jose Berrios and Jake Odorizzi off to uncharacteristic starts, the Twins have gotten very good pitching from the back half of the rotation. Namely the newly acquired Jhouyls Chacin, (3 starts, all have been Quality Starts) and Homer Bailey, tooting the teams lowest qualified ERA, have been superb here in April. The Twins will lean on Homer Bailey today to try and give this depleted bullpen a day off.
3. With the bullpen being heavily taxed, the Twins have made their first roster move of the year. Willians Astudillo is being sent down to AAA to bring up the starter Fernando Romero (3.21 ERA in 18IP)in the hopes he can help spell one of the highest used bullpens in baseball early in April.

• Sconnie and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

#2 thuuuuney

thuuuuney

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 124 posts

Posted 14 April 2020 - 10:30 PM

So, how do we begin.

Heading into the ballgame the Twins are shut out for the first time this year yesterday and need a big day from the bats to try and even the series. But despite that early on we had a pitcher's duel on both sides of the diamond. Homer Bailey and Tanner Roark through four innings combined, 8.0IP, 1H, 0R, 12 K's.

We went from a back and forth pitchers duel to a back and forth game of battleship in the later part of the game as the score would go 1-0, 1-1, 2-1, 2-2 and headed into the 9th the Twins were looking to send it to extras. With Fernado Romero making his first appearance the Twins needed some innings out of him to spell the pen and he went 3.2IP but would leave in the bottom of the 9th with the bases loaded and turn things over to Tyler Duffey.

Duffey would deal to Bichette, who was 0-4 prior to the at-bat, and Bo knows ballgame as he sent a screamer to Donaldson who knocked it down, but didn't have time to retire him so an infield RBI single is how the Twins are walked off.

The only saving grace is that could have filled a bubble on your "Walkoff Bingo Card." The Twins turn to Kenta Maeda tomorrow to try and salvage the final game of the series and get some momentum before the longest homestand of the year begins on Friday.

• Bailey: 5.2IP, 3H, 1 ER, 9 K's
  • Nelson Cruz: 1-3 HR, RBI, R
  • Sconnie likes this

#3 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,368 posts

Posted 15 April 2020 - 08:29 AM

This was my first game, and I really enjoyed it.. it was fantastic and I totally invested myself. It was a tough way to lose too. But the pitching was a huge bright spot. I will be checking in regularly and I hope the season keeps going!

I forgot, is there box scores or play by play logs?
  • Sconnie and thuuuuney like this
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#4 thuuuuney

thuuuuney

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 124 posts

Posted 15 April 2020 - 04:00 PM

This was my first game, and I really enjoyed it.. it was fantastic and I totally invested myself. It was a tough way to lose too. But the pitching was a huge bright spot. I will be checking in regularly and I hope the season keeps going!

I forgot, is there box scores or play by play logs?

I clip the highlights when the Twins win and I try and do box scores I've been swamped the past couple days with college and my job so my passion project here has had to take an unfortunate back-seat. Tonight's post game will have box scores and highlights! 

Also hope you have a chance to tune around 7pm I have something special planned for Jackie Robinson Day!

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

#5 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,368 posts

Posted 15 April 2020 - 04:05 PM

I clip the highlights when the Twins win and I try and do box scores I've been swamped the past couple days with college and my job so my passion project here has had to take an unfortunate back-seat. Tonight's post game will have box scores and highlights! 

Also hope you have a chance to tune around 7pm I have something special planned for Jackie Robinson Day!

No worries whatsoever and thanks for the reminder!
  • Sconnie and thuuuuney like this
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: commentary, garver, polanco