Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

How to have a 2020 season

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Number3

Number3

Ft Myers Miracle

• 486 posts

Posted 13 April 2020 - 08:57 AM

There is absolutely no way to have anything close to a sensible 2020 season under the current format that includes a heavy schedule against teams from other divisions and the other league. If MLB is actually able to "play ball" this year, I believe a completely new schedule should be drawn up that scraps all inter league games and most inter division games. No wild card. Only division champs in playoffs. Trying to salvage any part of the current schedule would clearly stack the odds in someones favor and would reward some teams and penalize others. If/when a start date is determined, get the computers out and come up with a schedule that makes sense based on the num,ber of games that could reasonably be played. Of course, this idea will quickly be relegated to the nearest file 13 I am sure. Any other ideas?

I realize it is still just April 13 but any soon start date seems a very remote possibility.

• nclahammer likes this

#2 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,156 posts

Posted 13 April 2020 - 09:21 AM

It's gonna be challenging but yes, I would think they'd need to completely reshape the schedule for a condensed season. The imbalance of trying to just pick up after lopping a chunk from the start is too much.

• Doctor Gast likes this

#3 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,585 posts

Posted 13 April 2020 - 09:37 AM

I would say remaking the schedule is a foregone conclusion.

#4 Rosterman

Rosterman

• 3,554 posts

Posted 13 April 2020 - 09:43 AM

It will have to be all about revenue vs. expenditures. Where do teams save money (travel) and where do they lose money (fans in the stands and monies from concessions et al). They have to renegotiate advertising contracts, many from businesses that will have more limited advertising budgets. Back of the house staff will suffer...no gameday employees, ticketing cut to pieces, sales etc.)

I still haven't heard how the players will be paid. Full salaries and such/ How does that work, with the contracts and all. Like the Twins, you gotta come up $130 million to pay just the players. How will they do that.

The ones who suffer are the minor league teams. How do these guys keep up their skill set. Do many consider it a lost season. The investment is still there by the majors in many many prospects. But the farm teams have bigger challenges for schedules and playing without fans in the stands and the cost to just run daily operations. But there is a need to keep at least 100 of your prospects in the fold.

The minor league free agent, the guy on the cusp, will really suffer in the shortened season. You keep internal prospects in tow rather than random AAAA guys, especially if rosters are expanded and the season (yes) is shorter. 

Also, what is the incentive to do anything but play ball. We maight see more fun in the game, in some ways, as you either have a winning team (or super win team) or just part of the game, glad you have a job, and your stats are going to be dismal and worthless in the sense of bragging (his stats, if he played 162 games, would be....instead of....). 

Sports as a whole will be dismal until testing and a vaccine happens. How do ALL sports adapt to this new world of playing mainly for TV. It can be done. But still not sure when people will tire of watching everything from home, six-feet apart...be it sports, concerts, fairs and festivals.

We read the results of the aircraft carrrier. Young healthy guys will survive. Many will get sick, only a few compromised. Someone may die. But we still don't know about total transmission, will it come back, and we do know it puts emotional strains on interacting with family and friends in general. Can ballplayers stay a closeknit group for a short season, shunning the public and family for the sake of employment? How much need do you need for front office employees and stadium support staff and their interaction with each other, going home and coming back.

And where does the revenue come from to pay the bills. Who takes cuts. Who can and cannot survive financially. 

• thuuuuney likes this
Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#5 sftwinsfan

sftwinsfan

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 213 posts

Posted 13 April 2020 - 03:58 PM

Depends how bad they want to play. Its something they should be talking about now, if they can figure it out with both the owners and players willing to do it then why not. Some my get hysterical about that, but of course I'm not suggesting they take away resources from doctors/nurses, etc. This would be planned with the assumption that the supply chain by say a 4th of July start would be much stronger and ramped up by that time. Maybe they could work something out like a team take over an entire hotel (assuming most aren't getting much use now anyways) and if willing family could stay there as well. Things appear to have peaked and hopefully by July things will be looking better-not back to normal but better. Maybe plan on a mid-June 2-week spring training and July start. Could always cancel or postpone as it approaches if things don't look like they're going well. 

#6 Number3

Number3

Ft Myers Miracle

• 486 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 11:59 AM

I am bringing this up again because it sounds like MLB is considering doing something like this and even to the extent of re aligning the leagues and divisions in order to limit travel as much as possible. If they go to this extent, who ever ends up winning the "World Series" will have about 50 asterisks next to it. I almost wish they would scrap the entire season as any kind of official season that counts in the record book including individual player stats. Go ahead and track wins and losses,have some kind of playoff and eventual champion and hope it never happens again.

#7 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 15,018 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 04 May 2020 - 01:51 PM

I am bringing this up again because it sounds like MLB is considering doing something like this and even to the extent of re aligning the leagues and divisions in order to limit travel as much as possible. If they go to this extent, who ever ends up winning the "World Series" will have about 50 asterisks next to it. I almost wish they would scrap the entire season as any kind of official season that counts in the record book including individual player stats. Go ahead and track wins and losses,have some kind of playoff and eventual champion and hope it never happens again.

Nah... we need baseball... even if it's a 100 game season with mostly regional games. Personally, I'm fine with the realignment so long as it's not permanent. 

There's not going to be much for records being broken in a shortened season, perhaps some individual game type records, but I don't see how that would need an astrisk… Maybe someone goes 2009 Joe Mauer and finishes at .400 b/c he only played half the season, but I doubt it.

I suspect the big asterisks are going to be around the players that retire just short of major milestones who played in 2020. 

#8 Number3

Number3

Ft Myers Miracle

• 486 posts

Posted 05 May 2020 - 07:36 AM

Ok, well at least Byron Buxton had better not get anywhere close to a wall in 2020. It will be a great season for players to do nothing but work on personal improvement and not worry so much about wins and losses. If the Twins go 40-60 in your 100 game season so what? At least Rocco won't have to worry about getting fired after his MOY season and anyone close to an injury of any kind sits especially pitchers. Great year for platoon pitching and glorified Grapefruit games.

#9 Tomj14

Tomj14

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,081 posts

Posted 05 May 2020 - 08:08 AM

Will the players get paid their whole contract salary or would it be prorated? Not sure how they justify paying Strasburg 35 million (and others) to start 15 - 17 with no fans in the stands, that is if they played 81 games or about half a season.

#10 akmanak

akmanak

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 542 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 08:42 PM

How will Pineda suspension work? Is he toast for the season?
  • bighat likes this

#11 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,229 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 12 May 2020 - 08:45 AM

How will Pineda suspension work? Is he toast for the season?

Great question. Lots of brutal hits for the Twins:

Odorizzi and his 1-year deal....what are we really going to get from him? 12 starts?

Pineda and his suspension....we get nothing from this guy in 2020.

Donaldson and his 4-year deal....the Twins essentially lose the first year of that deal. Ooof.

Then there are teams like the Orioles, Royals, Tigers, or Mariners might be kinda shrugging their shoulders. It's not a big blow for those guys. Similarly, for big market teams like the Dodgers or Yankees, they can spend money and get the players they want all the time....they can reload.

It's mid-market teams like the Twins who don't see these windows open up too often that are really getting jobbed in 2020.

Can anyone else think of a team that's getting screwed worse than MN this year?

#12 mnfireman

mnfireman

• 298 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 10:14 AM

Starting on June 28 and ending on October 3 is 14 weeks. 6 games a week is 84 games, I would think it would be pretty easy to get to 90-92 games. Because of the odd number of teams in each league, inter-league games will be necessary; 2 home games and 2 road games vs the NL Central is 20 games. 18 games against each divisional foe is 72 games, total 92 games. Ideal, no, but they seem pretty set on restricting travel and I don't see another way of doing it. If you try to also get in 20 games against the AL East and 20 games against the AL West you will only get 32 divisional games, which is not enough in my opinion.

#13 strumdatjaguar

strumdatjaguar

Ft Myers Miracle

• 403 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 02:44 PM

Start with the All-Star Game Start the regular season 2 days later.

#14 Sconnie

Sconnie

Wooo!

• 6,007 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 12 May 2020 - 05:48 PM

Donaldson and his 4-year deal....the Twins essentially lose the first year of that deal.

maybe with some time off in ‘20 he’ll hold up better on the backside of the contract?
  • bighat likes this

#15 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,229 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 13 May 2020 - 05:17 AM

maybe with some time off in ‘20 he’ll hold up better on the backside of the contract?

Good way to look at it.

Also, if Cruz plays this year he might also play 90% of the games.

• Sconnie likes this

#16 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,585 posts

Posted 13 May 2020 - 06:43 AM

I wasn’t really sure if I should post this here or in a minors thread. It’s relevant to the 2020 MLB season, but most of my post deals with the minors. I have repeatedly said that I see no way of having a MLB season without MiLB. Teams will need replacements in game shape. I have heard of plans of up to a 20 man taxi squad. While that would likely be a sufficient number of players, I’m not sure it would keep them in game shape. Practice is practice. Games are games.

Anyway, I think the best way to involve the minors is intrasquad games at the spring training complexes. AAA would play AA and the two A level teams would square off. Most complexes have more than enough field space, if MLB teams end up using their MLB parks. Also, the ST complexes have sufficient housing in place for all the people that would need to be there: 4 teams, coaches, support staff, umpires, cooks, janitorial, etc.

Teams have too much invested in their prospects to simply blow a development year.

On a related note (and a question I will likely pose in the minors forum as well): how would not having a MiLB season at all affect player retention rules? If this was going to be a players’ first year on “optional” assignment, will next year be his second? Things like this matter, especially to teams like the Twins that have such a dependence on their minor league development.

#17 obtusebanter

obtusebanter

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 161 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 13 May 2020 - 10:35 PM

Me and my Ma was trying to predict what the three divisions would look like should this short season happen. And we nailed it. Except ... the Pirates are to be in the East and the Braves are to be in the Central? WTF? If they gonna mix things up why prevent Pittsburgh and Cleveland from having a nice little one year rivalry in baseball?

I used to live in Pittsburgh. I know for a fact that Pirates fans would revel in the opportunity to derail a good year for the Tribe. Those games at PNC Park would be electric.

Ain't no one in the Midwest clamoring for shots at the Braves in the regular season.  

https://blogs.fangra...division-monte/

• ashbury likes this

#18 Tomj14

Tomj14

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,081 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 11:02 AM

Remember when Milwaukee basically abused Sabathia? That is what I would expect to happen to a bunch of players on 1 year contracts or if this is their last year prior to FA.

Also in a 82 game season, there is no time to be restingplayers to just rest them. Basically every game is very important.