Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Helfand: “early June start appears out of picture”

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#1 Sconnie

Sconnie

Wooo!

• 5,950 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 31 March 2020 - 12:15 PM

https://www.twinciti...florida-orders/
  • Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

#2 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,239 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 12:28 PM

Like but dislike! I am wondering what the internal discussions are. Maybe they could do another two-week modified training camp at their local sites and then a couple weeks of spring training, using the games already on the calendar, and start a shortened season after the All Star break. 

If the players want to play, I think MLB should try to make it work. However, the players might refuse, might need to remain separated from their families even during homestands, and games in empty parks seems downright depressing. Lots of moving parts to consider. Seems like they could sterilize their environments and make it work. I am an optimist. It would be a sad looking season, but better than nothing. The alternative in my opinion is worse. 

• Sconnie, Doctor Gast and thuuuuney like this
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#3 adjacent

adjacent

• 258 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 05:17 PM

The curves of new infections are still going up. Until the new infections start to go down, it is anybody's guess

• Danchat, LA VIkes Fan, Sconnie and 1 other like this

#4 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 6,391 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 06:20 PM

IMO, no All Star game this year and we're looking at July and a WS in late November. Possibly at a neutral site with decent weather or domed.
  • TopGunn#22 and LA VIkes Fan like this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#5 Rosterman

Rosterman

• 3,554 posts

Posted 01 April 2020 - 05:51 AM

Games without fans sounds the only way to save. Do television. No All-Star game. Have to be able to test more consistently to isolate players who catch it. Everyone needs to take a paycut if they want the game to survuve.

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#6 Puckett34

Puckett34

• 1,585 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, SD

Posted 01 April 2020 - 10:37 AM

Games without fans sounds the only way to save. Do television. No All-Star game. Have to be able to test more consistently to isolate players who catch it. Everyone needs to take a paycut if they want the game to survuve.

If I have to choose, I'd rather have baseball with no fans to start with vs no baseball at all.

I'd target July 1st as a optimistic start date. July 4th if you want to be patriotic

• TopGunn#22 and DocBauer like this
Hit dingers. Never bunt.

#7 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Getting Ready to Show Up to ST in the Best Shape of My Life!

• 13,442 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 01 April 2020 - 10:51 AM

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer but I don’t think we will see any baseball or other sports the rest of 2020. Not when the CDC predicts there will be a second wave of COVID-19 in the fall.
  • Twins33, Craig Arko, USNMCPO and 5 others like this

#8 Tomj14

Tomj14

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,081 posts

Posted 01 April 2020 - 12:19 PM

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer but I don’t think we will see any baseball or other sports the rest of 2020. Not when the CDC predicts there will be a second wave of COVID-19 in the fall.

Everybody involved would have to quarantine for 14 daysand they could never be around anybody that hadn't quarantined or it would spread quickly. (I mean the players and everybody would have to stay away from family friends and everybody else until there is a vaccine or until the majority of americans had the virus.)

#9 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 2,819 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 01 April 2020 - 12:22 PM

I think this is very likely. We know too little at this point to even guess at a date for resumption of MLB but I will not be surprised if the entire 2020 season is cancelled.

• PDX Twin likes this

#10 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,239 posts

Posted 01 April 2020 - 12:41 PM

Well, right. I would want baseball to resume safely and responsibly above all. The good news is that the sports leagues have the resources to figure out how to do that. I wish to remain optimistic that it is possible to do so.  

God save us if we have to cancel football season in the fall. Might as well try starting baseball up to see how it goes. 

He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#11 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Getting Ready to Show Up to ST in the Best Shape of My Life!

• 13,442 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 01 April 2020 - 01:39 PM

Everybody involved would have to quarantine for 14 days and they could never be around anybody that hadn't quarantined or it would spread quickly. (I mean the players and everybody would have to stay away from family friends and everybody else until there is a vaccine or until the majority of americans had the virus.)

Right, there’s too many layers on this onion to peel. How are they going to travel to different cities to play games? Are the players expected to stay away from their families while they play baseball? What if a member on the team tests positive? Will they have to forfeit their future games for 2 weeks?

Too many unanswered questions and I don’t think there’s enough time to overcome the issues.

#12 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• 3,135 posts

Posted 01 April 2020 - 04:51 PM

Honestly, I'm enjoying watching the classic games MLBN has been showing far more than what baseball 2019 became.

#13 ashbury

ashbury

Visalia Oaks

• 25,299 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 01 April 2020 - 06:47 PM

Too many ways that a season, after a late start, could come to an abrupt end due to a renewed virus outbreak. Wait and see, but I'm not optimistic.

• jud6312 likes this

The most important thing in communication is to hear what isn't being said.

#14 akmanak

akmanak

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 537 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 10:05 PM

Judging from how they just closed the beaches for the summer and also how they canceled all rec sports I don't think there will be a season.

#15 Bickle19

Bickle19

Elizabethton Twins

• 25 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 01:31 PM

Honestly, I'm enjoying watching the classic games MLBN has been showing far more than what baseball 2019 became.

Something something get off my lawn.

• Brock Beauchamp and Dantes929 like this

#16 Twodogs

Twodogs

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,204 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 06:14 PM

https://nypost.com/2...us-vaccine/amp/

Hopefully this helps. They still have to do clinical trials, but looks like they are on the right track.

You cannot succeed without hate for your enemy

#17 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 2,819 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 03 April 2020 - 06:46 PM

Hopefully this helps. They still have to do clinical trials, but looks like they are on the right track.

If it's in the New York Post it's suspect until proven otherwise.

• Sconnie likes this

#18 Sconnie

Sconnie

Wooo!

• 5,950 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 03 April 2020 - 10:30 PM

agreed w/ 3/4 and also human trials are typically 14 months minimum

#19 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,816 posts

Posted 04 April 2020 - 12:29 PM

agreed w/ 3/4 and also human trials are typically 14 months minimum

I think everything is going to be fasttracked, Sconnie.Saw one of the big drug CEO's on CNBC, think it was Abbott Labs on Friday...or maybe JNJ.Anyway, they had a vaccine they were confident will work.Was struck by his quote that they would begin trials by September at the latest which would be completed by the end of the year, at the latest.That would make the vaccine available by the end of Quarter 1, 2021.

Three things that struck me were his confidence that this vaccine would be successful, his use of the word latest for both the beginning and end of the test, and the comments made by Joe Kernan after he was finished.Kernan commented on the fact that this is not the type of Exec who would make a comment without being 99% certain what he was saying was factual...or something like that.

That would still be another year before the vaccine would be available to the masses.He also mentioned something along the # of doses that would be available, can't recall the exact number but it was in the tens of millions.The more I think about it, believe it was JNJ.

#20 Sconnie

Sconnie

Wooo!

• 5,950 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 04 April 2020 - 02:03 PM

I think everything is going to be fasttracked, Sconnie. Saw one of the big drug CEO's on CNBC, think it was Abbott Labs on Friday...or maybe JNJ. Anyway, they had a vaccine they were confident will work. Was struck by his quote that they would begin trials by September at the latest which would be completed by the end of the year, at the latest. That would make the vaccine available by the end of Quarter 1, 2021.

Three things that struck me were his confidence that this vaccine would be successful, his use of the word latest for both the beginning and end of the test, and the comments made by Joe Kernan after he was finished. Kernan commented on the fact that this is not the type of Exec who would make a comment without being 99% certain what he was saying was factual...or something like that.

That would still be another year before the vaccine would be available to the masses. He also mentioned something along the # of doses that would be available, can't recall the exact number but it was in the tens of millions. The more I think about it, believe it was JNJ.

Here it is, Alex Gorsky on CNBC. He’s calling for “a large and fast initial scale up” for Q2 2021 and up to a billion doses by end of 2021.

That’s very fast, but still ~12-15 months for the select few and 2 years for the rest of us, when in 4 months there are already approximately 5-6 strains.

https://www.cnbc.com...-box-today.html
  • Brock Beauchamp likes this