Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Wade and Poppen Optioned

lamonte wade jr. sean poppen
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 10,115 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 27 March 2020 - 08:22 AM

From mlbtraderumors.com, the Twins have optioned Lamonte Wade Jr. and Sean Poppen, both of whom saw time last year with the Twins. The option of Wade tells me that the health of Buxton and Gonzalez is assured so that Wade had no chance to make the club. I expect Poppen will get more chances with the Twins at some point this year. 

• nclahammer likes this

#2 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

odometer is stuck...

• 10,001 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 09:40 AM

I haven't paid attention... Does that put us down to a 26 person roster? Or have rostering constraints gone out the window with spring training?

#3 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,568 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 09:50 AM

I haven't paid attention... Does that put us down to a 26 person roster? Or have rostering constraints gone out the window with spring training?

No, there are like 55 guys on the spring training roster.

There are 29 players on the 40-man roster still on the spring roster. 

There are 14 hitters. They could go with 12 pitchers and keep both Cave and Astudillo?

There are 15 pitchers. 

All the minor league signing guys are still on the roster, but obviously under minor league deals. 

• MN_ExPat likes this

#4 AceWrigley

AceWrigley

Ft Myers Miracle

• 399 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 11:13 AM

New MLB proposed guidelines will allow 29 players on the roster for the 1st month of the season per Bob Nightengale (twitter).

• h2oface likes this

#5 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

odometer is stuck...

• 10,001 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 01:00 PM

Thanks for clarifyin'

#6 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,586 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 02:33 PM

I imagine all the minor league signings will stick on the roster until it's determined if there is a Spring Training 2.0.

#7 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,568 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 05:39 PM

I imagine all the minor league signings will stick on the roster until it's determined if there is a Spring Training 2.0.

They were all officially assigned to minor league camp today because of the roster freeze tomorrow. 

#8 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 7,002 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 05:46 PM

Kind of weird making roster moves like this with so many unknowns. At some point, there will be that ST 2.0. Won't you need additional bodies at that time? Assume this is mostly about $ and options and service time and the such.
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#9 Rosterman

Rosterman

• 3,647 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 06:07 PM

If the roster is 26, still a battle between Astulido and Cave. Wisler is still a choice, and a pitcher might have to be removed. I feel sorry for all the minor league free agents hoping to get a shot. With short seasons for the minor leagues, a lot of AAAA players will be out of work this season. The Twins also have Hill and Pineda, one disabled and one suspended...which is why they are at 29.

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com

#10 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 10,115 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 27 March 2020 - 08:45 PM

The reports are that all teams will go with 29 players for the first month of the season whenever it starts. From what I've read, the number of pitchers isn't capped. The current roster has 29 player (15 pitchers) including Rich Hill. If the season were to start June 1, I presume Hill would be on the injured list and a non-roster pitcher will be added (could be one of the lefties or it could be ChacĂ­n).

Both Cave and Astudillo would make the roster to start the season.

• NoCryingInBaseball and DocBauer like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lamonte wade jr., sean poppen