Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Scott Boras Wants a 162 Game Season - Playoffs in December

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 strumdatjaguar

strumdatjaguar

Ft Myers Miracle

• 410 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 08:11 AM

The Twins least favorite agent strikes again.Could be chilly at Target Field, since Twins look likely to make Scott's December playoffs.Or maybe the Twins and other northern teams don't make the playoffs, by intentionally tanking to avoid playing those miserable games.I would suggest starting the season, whenever that can be done, with the All-Star Game.Then schedule regular season games during the usual All-Star Break to balance the schedules of teams.  

#2 Dantes929

Dantes929

• 2,888 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 08:42 AM

But wait... Your proposal doesn't fit in with what Scott Boros wants. Stop being so narcissistic and start paying more attention to what Scott Boros wants.

• dcswede, Sconnie and Nine of twelve like this
If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#3 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,366 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 09:18 AM

I'm not a Boras fan, but he's just doing his job here. Which is to advocate for what gets his clients the biggest paycheck. He knows this won't happen. It's a starting point for negotiations.

• gunnarthor likes this

#4 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,366 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 09:19 AM

Personally, I'd love a 300 game season.

I'm well aware that the players wouldn't.

• Nine of twelve likes this

#5 SF Twins Fan

SF Twins Fan

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 663 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 25 March 2020 - 10:48 AM

It will be interesting to see if they do double headers to make up some of the games. The teams will already have 26 players on the active roster and they could increase that to 27 on days there are two games.

• gunnarthor likes this

#6 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 2,872 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 25 March 2020 - 11:16 AM

You may be onto something here. I've said that there are two seasons to each year, baseball season and waiting for baseball season. This problem has a solution. Let's have a season lasting 44 weeks with 5 weeks for the postseason.

Each season would be divided into four 11-week quarters. There would be about 60-64 games in each quarter for a total of 240-256 games a year.

Roster size would be 36 players. 9 players would be inactive for each of the four quarters, allowing for a 27-man active roster. Teams would have to designate before each quarter which 9 players would be inactive. No player would be allowed to play in all four quarters.

There would be a number of details to work out, like how to handle trades, minor league call-ups, things like that. There's also the pesky winter thing that would have to be dealt with. Maybe the teams could relocate to Argentina or Australia for a few months.

• Dantes929 and Shaitan like this

#7 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,895 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 12:16 PM

It will be interesting to see if they do double headers to make up some of the games. The teams will already have 26 players on the active roster and they could increase that to 27 on days there are two games.

Expect the roster will be a lot more than 26 when the season opens.There will be a spring training, but it ain't gonna be six weeks long.If it is say, three weeks, look for opening day rosters to be 28 or 30 to have extra pitchers for starters who are only going 5 innings at the max.  

Do they keep extra players all year?Will depend on how many games they try to pack into every month.In a normal season, it is 27 (162/6).What if they try to get that up to 29 or even 30 with only a couple days off which are offset by a double header or two?Got a feeling the players are going to balk at that.But when the owners are saying which would you rather have, 110/162 of your annual salary or 120/162?Obviously, if they push the season into or thru October, that can change.

• SF Twins Fan likes this

#8 Dantes929

Dantes929

• 2,888 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 01:02 PM

You may be onto something here. I've said that there are two seasons to each year, baseball season and waiting for baseball season. This problem has a solution. Let's have a season lasting 44 weeks with 5 weeks for the postseason.

Each season would be divided into four 11-week quarters. There would be about 60-64 games in each quarter for a total of 240-256 games a year.

Roster size would be 36 players. 9 players would be inactive for each of the four quarters, allowing for a 27-man active roster. Teams would have to designate before each quarter which 9 players would be inactive. No player would be allowed to play in all four quarters.

There would be a number of details to work out, like how to handle trades, minor league call-ups, things like that. There's also the pesky winter thing that would have to be dealt with. Maybe the teams could relocate to Argentina or Australia for a few months.

Keep brainstorming along those lines until you reach the scenario where I get to play and make a million dollars. :)

• Nine of twelve likes this
If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#9 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 2,872 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 02:51 PM

Keep brainstorming along those lines until you reach the scenario where I get to play and make a million dollars. :)

And whether we get to play is of secondary importance.

• Dantes929 likes this

#10 twinfan

twinfan

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 97 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 08:06 AM

Boras doesn't run baseball so listening to him makes no sense. Baseball will figure this out and play whatever they can play- be it a 162 game, 148 game or 56 game schedule. If play starts very late, maybe they should just only have teams play within their division and that's it then start playoffs.

#11 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 2,872 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 10:56 AM

Boras doesn't run baseball so listening to him makes no sense. Baseball will figure this out and play whatever they can play- be it a 162 game, 148 game or 56 game schedule. If play starts very late, maybe they should just only have teams play within their division and that's it then start playoffs.

I get the idea of what you are saying about a reduced schedule, but since each division has five teams there would always be 6 teams idle if play was only within a division.

#12 Rosterman

Rosterman

• 3,561 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 02:44 PM

I guess the question suddenly hits contracts. Are contrasts for a 162-game season? Baseball will be taking a big hit no matter the outcome, with a reduced schedule. I feel bad for the minor league teams, too. But far fromn alone as concerts, theaters and theatres, and pretty much any other Big Event will be taking a hit. 

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#13 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• 10,153 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 09:06 AM

I actually agree with him. I want a 162 games, too.

#14 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,267 posts

Posted 01 April 2020 - 03:53 PM

Boras needs to just go someplace far away, never return and see if anyone misses him.His thoughts have should have no more relevance than the ones posted by your ordinary poster here.  

#15 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,267 posts

Posted 01 April 2020 - 03:55 PM

I'm well aware that the players wouldn't.

And have it compacted into a 50 day schedule with lots of travel.  

See who is standing in the end

#16 darin617

darin617

• 1,553 posts

Posted 01 April 2020 - 04:35 PM

You would think Boras was living "check to check" and needs more money to feed his family.What people don't seem to think about are what the affects would be on the 2021 season. You push 2020 deeper than normal you could end up seeing more injuries in 2021.

Not worth it. As much as I want baseball back I don't want to see a poor product and please no double headers. Even if they can only get in like 70 games. Be happy that the whole season isn't lost.

#17 old nurse

old nurse

• 4,050 posts

Posted 01 April 2020 - 07:19 PM

An early May peak. If you consider it took months to get there, it will take months to subside. Good luck having a baseball season

#18 AceWrigley

AceWrigley

Ft Myers Miracle

• 294 posts

Posted 01 April 2020 - 07:55 PM

Scott Boras as agent = good.

Scott Boras as Commissioner = not so much.

#19 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,895 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 08:04 AM

This time Scott Boras ain't gonna get what he wants.

Maybe they will be ready to start playing games by July 1.Maybe not.Keep their second half schedule, add a week or two into October to get the games needed to play each divisional foe 12 or 15 games.Then on to the playoffs.By pushing the schedule/playoffs well into November, maybe the League championship and World Series get played at a neutral site.  

#20 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,833 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 08:29 AM

Baseball will need to tread lightly from a social and public relations/perceptions standpoint. Neither owners nor players will have 'leverage'...in that the public will have zero appetite for rhetoric from either side regarding what's best for them. The smart play for mlb is to play the resumption of games as a 'public service'...and go out of their way to defer (or at least appear to defer) to what health/government officials recommend. This could actually be a huge opportunity for baseball... we'll see.

• rdehring likes this