Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

An interesting exercise

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,592 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 10:55 AM

Twitter has seen many of these recently, but one that caught my eye that could generate good conversation here is this...

Create a team - 26-man roster, DH or non-DH lineup/roster by your own choice (though we'll get into something with that later), full rotation

The team should consist of your personal favorite players that you have seen in your lifetime (TV or in-person is fine). They can play any position, but it must be a position that the player played for a majority of at least one season. Not required as part of this - but something that could be a fun addition - is to list your favorite season of that favorite player!

I'll start with mine

C - Ivan Rodriguez. No one has even come close to his combination of offense and defense. Defense that I've not seen matched behind the plate in my life along with athleticism offensively that was remarkable. While many will remember his monster 1999 season, I recall his 2004 when he moved to the Tigers on a free agent deal. He was 32 and the numbers didn't appreciate his defense as much, but he hit .334/.383/.510 with 19 HR and 7 SB. (I'll add more write-ups later)

1B - Albert Pujols, 2009

2B - Ryne Sandberg, 1984

3B - Chipper Jones, 2008

SS - Andrelton Simmons, 2017

LF - Rickey Henderson, 1990

CF - Andruw Jones, 2000

RF - Kirby Puckett, 1988

DH - Juan Gonzalez, 1993

Bench - Tony Phillips, 1992

Bench - Eddie Perez, 1996

Bench - Julio Franco, 2004

Bench - Bip Roberts, 1990

SP - Greg Maddux, 1995

SP - Randy Johnson, 1999

SP - Johan Santana, 2004

SP - Dave Stewart, 1990

SP - Nolan Ryan, 1989

Closer - Joe Nathan, 2006

RP - Kerry Ligtenberg, 1998

RP - Mike Fetters, 2000

RP - Dan Quisenberry, 1984

RP - Craig Kimbrell, 2012

RP - Billy Wagner, 2010

RP - Aroldis Chapman, 2012

RP - Juan Berenguer, 1991

Toughest cuts: Bob Horner, Mariano Rivera, Pedro Martinez, Jim Abbott

Purveyor of videobaseballscout.com to cover all kinds of baseball!!

#2 Sconnie

Sconnie

Wooo!

• 6,095 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 18 March 2020 - 01:26 PM

C - Joe Mauer 2009
1b - Frank Thomas 1997
2b - Jeff Kent 2000
3B - Josh Donaldson 2015
SS - Ozzie Smith 1987
RF - Ichiro Suzuki 2004
CF - Kirby Puckett 1988
LF - Barry Bonds 2001
DH - Edgar Martinez 1995
Bench - Nick Punto 2006
Bench - Jeff Reboulet 1995
Bench - Jarrod Dyson 2013
Bench - Pedro Munoz 1992
SP - Pedro Martinez 1999
SP - Roger Clemens 1997
SP - Nolan Ryan 1989
SP - Jim Abbott 1991
SP - Johan Santana 2005
RP - Willie Hernandez 1984
RP - Dan Quisenberry 1983
RP - Mark Eichhorn 1986
RP - Mariano Rivera 2008
RP - Josh Hader 2018
RP - Francisco Rodriguez 2004
RP - Joe Nathan 2006
RP - Billy Wagner 1999

• tvagle and bighat like this

#3 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 2,881 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 18 March 2020 - 08:46 PM

This is too hard so I'm not even going to try. bgb, I know you said favorite players rather than best players, but either way I find it hard to understand how anyone frequenting this board could choose anyone for catcher other than 2009 Joe Mauer.

• Sconnie likes this

#4 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,592 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 08:54 PM

This is too hard so I'm not even going to try. bgb, I know you said favorite players rather than best players, but either way I find it hard to understand how anyone frequenting this board could choose anyone for catcher other than 2009 Joe Mauer.

I’m a hardcore baseball fan first, Braves fan second, and distant third Twins. I’ve spent my life in Twins territory, though, and I’ve been chatting with folks here for 20 years going back to ESPN!

#5 scottyc35

scottyc35

• 10 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 07:25 PM

Can I just do this for fun? I'm off work indefinitely. I'm gonna play this game but only using Twins' players. I'm talking about my personal favorite players. Not an historic Twins' all star team, but the dudes who I loved to root for. I'm also gonna include an honorable mention, just for fun

C - Joe Mauer (2009).365 BA, 1.031 OPS... he was pretty good that year... 
honoroable mention: Tim Laudner (1987). 1988 was his best year at the plate, but '87 is when all those kids put it together. All those guys came up thru the minors together, and he got himself a ring. Still part of the family

1B - Kent Hrbek (1982) The Twins SUCKED at the time. Herbie was the first up out of that group. He was the light at the end of a dark tunnel. Everyone's favorite Twin, for a couple years... 
honorable mention: Justin Morneau (2006). Just imagine if he hadn't taken a knee to the head sliding into 2nd that day.... 

2B: Steve Lombardozzi (1987) A lot of '87 on this list. Lombo won a ring. As did Knoblauch, but despite his production, Knobs was just not a really likeable guy. Always kind of a jerk... 
honorable mention: John Castino. Castino shifted to 2nd to make room for the Rat. He was a star on one of the worst teams in franchise history. He makes my list 'cause when i became a Twins fan at age 9, he was one of the few decent players we had

3B: Gary Gaetti (1987). He and Herbie cornered that infield as long as took for them to get a ring. Sorry he wasn't around for the 2nd ring. One of the Greatest Twins of all time, the Rat! 
honorable mention: Corey Koskie (2001). No big deal, he had a good yearIf it weren't for the f*ckin' Yankees, this group might've won a couple rings.... 

SS: Jorge Polanco (2019). That was not his last appearance in an All-Star game. 
honorable mention: Ron Washington (1982). Scrappy little f*cker, he came up w/ the rest of that group, endured the hard times, but was gone before his buddies won a ring. I loved watching him play. Not much skill, but all hustle and attitude. 

LF: Randy Bush (1987). He did play some LF early in his career. We're talking about favorites, here. Not a lot of players won 2 rings w/ the Twins. Bushie did. 
honorable mention: Gary Ward (1982). Ward was the best player on a terrible team, but made his mark in Twins' history when he was traded to Texas for Mike Smithson and John Butcher. If you remember that, you remember how huge that trade was for the Twins

CF: Kirby Puckett (1984). Were you watching on TV the night Puck made his MLB debut? Overnight Superstar! We woke up the next morning and everyone knew we were on the right track
honorable mention: Torii Hunter (any year). I don't have to remind any of you. 

RF: Max Kepler (2019): 'Sup dude! Nice to see ya! 
honorable mention: Michael Cuddyer (2006). f***in' Yankees, man... this group should've won at least one

DH: Nelson Cruz (2019): And BOOM goes the dynamite.... ! 
honorable mention: Chili Davis (1991). Has the best season of his career and gets a ring. Thanks man! 

This was really hard, and fun! I'll do the pitchers next. I need a cigarette.

• Sconnie likes this

#6 Thegrin

Thegrin

• 1,098 posts
  • LocationRipon, CA

Posted 20 March 2020 - 12:24 AM

2B Rod Carew - I am lucky to have seen him play in person, many times. He was a wizard with the wand.

DH Harmon Killebrew (I know that last year Nelson Cruz was wonderful, but Harmon hit some fly balls that still haven't landed.)

1B Justin Morneau -MVP says it all

3B Gary Gaetti

SS Ernie Banks (No. He's not a Twin, but I loved him)

CF Kirby Pucket If I had had a child I would have named him/her Kirby.

CF Torey Hunter ... Its my list. I can have 2 CF :)

OF Steve Braun. because he always seemed to get a big base hit when I watched him at the Met.

SP Bert

SP Jim Perry

SP Jack Morris

SP Johan Santana

All these guys needed was 3 days rest.

Joe Nathan

Steve Bedrosian

Ron Peronoski

Everyday Eddie

Glen Perkins

The current crew could earn their way onto the list. but it will take a few years,

Miguel Sano

Nelson Cruz

Mitch Garver

Byron Buxton

Jose Berrios

I picked them because I think they will lead us to a World Series in 2020.

Byron Buxton

#7 AceWrigley

AceWrigley

Ft Myers Miracle

• 298 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 12:46 AM

C: Johnny Bench

1B: Harmon Killebrew

2B: Ryne Sandberg

SS: Ernie Banks

3B: Graig Nettles

LF: Rickey Henderson

CF: Cesar Tovar

RF: Tony Oliva

C: Frank Fernandez

C: Sal Fasano

IF: Tony Phillips

IF: John Castino

OF: Larry Hisle

OF: Devon White

1B: Willie McCovey

SP: Johan Santana

SP: Greg Maddux

SP: Fergie Jenkins

SP: Steve Carlton

SP: Luis Tiant

CL: Al Hrabosky

RP: Mike Marshall

RP: Sparky Lyle

RP: Rob Dibble

RP: Bruce Sutter

• jkcarew and Jack like this

#8 twinsfanstreif

twinsfanstreif

• 762 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 07:10 AM

C - Joe Mauer - 2009

1B - Jeff Bagwell - 1994

2B - Craig Biggio - 1997

3B - Cal Ripken Jr. - 1991

SS - Ozzie Smith - 1987

OF - Kirby Puckett - 1991

OF - Ken Griffey Jr. - 1997

OF - Tony Gwynn - 1997

DH - Nelson Cruz - 2019

SP - Johan Santana - 2004

SP - Pedro Martinez - 1999

SP - Randy Johnson - 1998

SP - Gregg Maddux - 1995

SP - Roy Halladay - 2003

RP - Billy Wagner - 1999

RP - Joe Nathan - 2004

RP - Francisco Rodriguez - 2008

RP - Pat Neshek - 2007

RP - Trevor May - 2019

RP - Jesse Crain - 2005

BN - Moises Alou - 1998

BN - Byron Buxton - 2017

BN - Buster Posey - 2012

BN - Jim Thome - 2010

BN - Nick Punto - 2006

It's pretty clear that I'm a Twins fan first but grew up going to a lot of Astros games in the late 90s and early 2000s. There are various reasons for the rest but a decent amount of them are shaped from Ken Griffey's Baseball 99 on N64

• Jack likes this

#9 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,592 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 08:24 AM

Can I just do this for fun? I'm off work indefinitely. I'm gonna play this game but only using Twins' players. I'm talking about my personal favorite players. Not an historic Twins' all star team, but the dudes who I loved to root for. I'm also gonna include an honorable mention, just for fun

It is intended to be fun. I had so much fun recalling watching games with my great-grandma and listening to them with my grandpa as I was writing this up. I've got a half-dozen of these types of things to help pass the time until season open.

#10 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,839 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 09:30 AM

I don't know why the specific season's are cited? FWIW, I'd never identify a player as my favorite (or the best, for that matter) based on one season. My list heavily Twins/Minnesota influenced with other 'all-time' favorites of mine sprinkled in...

C - Johnny Bench

1B- Hrbek

2B - Carew

3B - Killebrew (little-known fact: through 1971...which means through the entire part of his career where he remained a great player...Killebrew started more games at 3rd than at first; he was primarily a 3rd-baseman in 1969, his MVP season, which was one of the seasons I saw him play in person)

SS - Robin Yount

LF - Yastrzemski

CF - Trout

RF - Puckett (cheating here a little)

DH - Molitor

Inf -

A. J. Pierzynski, Gary Gaetti, Morneau, Miguel Cabrera

OF - Dan Gladden, Tony O, Dave Winfield

SP - Viola, Kaat, Johan Santana, Nolan Ryan, Brad Radke

RP - Aguilera, Reardon, Nathan, Mariano Rivera, Goose Gossage

#11 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,592 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 09:44 AM

I mention seasons because often there is one year that it was most fun to follow that player for one reason or another.

• jkcarew likes this

#12 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,592 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 10:37 AM

Twitter has seen many of these recently, but one that caught my eye that could generate good conversation here is this...

Create a team - 26-man roster, DH or non-DH lineup/roster by your own choice (though we'll get into something with that later), full rotation

The team should consist of your personal favorite players that you have seen in your lifetime (TV or in-person is fine). They can play any position, but it must be a position that the player played for a majority of at least one season. Not required as part of this - but something that could be a fun addition - is to list your favorite season of that favorite player!

I'll start with mine

C - Ivan Rodriguez. No one has even come close to his combination of offense and defense. Defense that I've not seen matched behind the plate in my life along with athleticism offensively that was remarkable. While many will remember his monster 1999 season, I recall his 2004 when he moved to the Tigers on a free agent deal. He was 32 and the numbers didn't appreciate his defense as much, but he hit .334/.383/.510 with 19 HR and 7 SB. (I'll add more write-ups later)

1B - Albert Pujols. Fielding Bible recently mentioned that Pujols graded as the best defensive first sacker in the last 25 years due to the distance he played off the bag. He was brilliant from day one, with a smooth swing and plenty of athleticism. His crowning season, IMO, was 2009, when he led the majors in home runs, runs, total bases, OPS, OPS+, and he still stole 16 bases with nearly twice as many walks as strikeouts.

2B - Ryne Sandberg: My great-grandma made me into a baseball fan, and she was a die-hard Cubs backer. Sandberg was the newest young star of the team as I was being introduced to the game, so 5-year old me really heard plenty about Sandberg's 1984 MVP season.

3B - Chipper Jones: Being a Braves fan, this is pretty easy. Chipper was a guy who was an ultimate team guy on the field, and while many would mention his 1999 season when he didn't even earn an All-Star nod but had an incredible second half to win the MVP, but I love looking back at 2008 as Jones was on his last legs after the outfield had ripped up his knees when he voluntarily changed positions (and of course, he delayed his debut a full season after a devastating knee injury that began to groan more in his mid-30s). In the 2008 season, Jones led all MLB in hitting and OBP, and he recorded his highest OPS+ of his HOF career.

SS - Andrelton Simmons: I've been lucky to see some excellent defenders in my lifetime, but on the dirt, none hold a candle to Simmons. His incredible arm adds to the ability to get to so many balls that only he can reach. While he's not known for his bat, 2017 showed what he can do with a contact-focused swing that has some natural gap power. Health has been a struggle in the past, and that's really the one thing that could hold him back from a Cooperstown role eventually as one of the elite defenders in the game's history.

LF - Rickey Henderson: Getting to see the remarkable blend of power and speed rolled into Rickey was always a display. I thought it was interesting that an old Negro League ballplayer that I talked with recalled the players of 1980s and 1990s, and he remembered before PEDs came around that only Bo Jackson was more impressive with his shirt off than was Rickey. I was too young to remember his brilliant 1982 season, but after some time in the Bronx, Rickey returned to Oakland in 1990 in the midst of the A's dynasty, and he led the majos in OPS and OPS+ while also stealing 65 bases.

CF - Andruw Jones: Bar none, the best defender I've ever seen in my life at any position. Jones doesn't get the credit he deserves with many who don't trust metrics because he made it look so easy, but as metrics have begun to review his positioning and realize how he was able to cover incredible amount of ground, his brilliance is finally being fully realized. Hopefully it gets there before he falls off the HOF ballot because he absolutely should be there. The 2000 season is the one I mentioned as he made his first All-Star game and was able to showcase nationally as he hit .300 for the only time in his career.

RF - Kirby Puckett: Growing up in Twins territory, I used to tell my local barber to give me a "Kirby Puckett haircut", but he was not given permission by my parents. Oddly enough, now I shave my head daily, so I got there anyway! Puckett's turn of the decade performance from 1986-1992 (avg. 207 hits, 20 HR, and a .329 BA) was incredible, but the 1988 season was definitely his best overall as he hit .356 with 24 home runs. A little trivia...did you know Kirby was leading the AL in RBI in 1994 when the strike hit?

DH - Juan Gonzalez: When he first came up, his birthday on his baseball card was listed as exactly 10 years earlier than mine, and that was a big deal to me at that age. His age was later corrected when he had to clear when returning the DR one winter rather than Puerto Rico, and his birthday was moved to four days later. By then I was already hooked as a fan, and he was already a full-time player, coming off a 100-RBI year and about to win his first home run title. I have two years that I loved with Gonzalez. The first was 1998, when he had 101 RBI at the All-Star break and went on to win the MVP, but in 1993 when he was still fairly unknown, I was one of few that knew of him and he went .310/.368/.632 with 46 HR, 105 R, and 118 RBI. Injuries really wore him down (and yeah, I know what the accusations are), but he finished just a couple seasons shy of 500 homers.

Bench - Tony Phillips, 1992

Bench - Eddie Perez, 1996

Bench - Julio Franco, 2004

Bench - Bip Roberts, 1990

SP - Greg Maddux, 1995

SP - Randy Johnson, 1999

SP - Johan Santana, 2004

SP - Dave Stewart, 1990

SP - Nolan Ryan, 1989

Closer - Joe Nathan, 2006

RP - Kerry Ligtenberg, 1998

RP - Mike Fetters, 2000

RP - Dan Quisenberry, 1984

RP - Craig Kimbrell, 2012

RP - Billy Wagner, 2010

RP - Aroldis Chapman, 2012

RP - Juan Berenguer, 1991

Added in some more notes!

#13 Sconnie

Sconnie

Wooo!

• 6,095 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 20 March 2020 - 11:28 AM

C - Joe Mauer (2009) .365 BA, 1.031 OPS... he was pretty good that year...
honoroable mention: Tim Laudner (1987). 1988 was his best year at the plate, but '87 is when all those kids put it together. All those guys came up thru the minors together, and he got himself a ring. Still part of the family

1B - Kent Hrbek (1982) The Twins SUCKED at the time. Herbie was the first up out of that group. He was the light at the end of a dark tunnel. Everyone's favorite Twin, for a couple years...
honorable mention: Justin Morneau (2006). Just imagine if he hadn't taken a knee to the head sliding into 2nd that day....

2B: Steve Lombardozzi (1987) A lot of '87 on this list. Lombo won a ring. As did Knoblauch, but despite his production, Knobs was just not a really likeable guy. Always kind of a jerk...
honorable mention: John Castino. Castino shifted to 2nd to make room for the Rat. He was a star on one of the worst teams in franchise history. He makes my list 'cause when i became a Twins fan at age 9, he was one of the few decent players we had

3B: Gary Gaetti (1987). He and Herbie cornered that infield as long as took for them to get a ring. Sorry he wasn't around for the 2nd ring. One of the Greatest Twins of all time, the Rat!
honorable mention: Corey Koskie (2001). No big deal, he had a good year If it weren't for the f*ckin' Yankees, this group might've won a couple rings....

SS: Jorge Polanco (2019). That was not his last appearance in an All-Star game.
honorable mention: Ron Washington (1982). Scrappy little f*cker, he came up w/ the rest of that group, endured the hard times, but was gone before his buddies won a ring. I loved watching him play. Not much skill, but all hustle and attitude.

LF: Randy Bush (1987). He did play some LF early in his career. We're talking about favorites, here. Not a lot of players won 2 rings w/ the Twins. Bushie did.
honorable mention: Gary Ward (1982). Ward was the best player on a terrible team, but made his mark in Twins' history when he was traded to Texas for Mike Smithson and John Butcher. If you remember that, you remember how huge that trade was for the Twins

CF: Kirby Puckett (1984). Were you watching on TV the night Puck made his MLB debut? Overnight Superstar! We woke up the next morning and everyone knew we were on the right track
honorable mention: Torii Hunter (any year). I don't have to remind any of you.

RF: Max Kepler (2019): 'Sup dude! Nice to see ya!
honorable mention: Michael Cuddyer (2006). f***in' Yankees, man... this group should've won at least one

DH: Nelson Cruz (2019): And BOOM goes the dynamite.... !
honorable mention: Chili Davis (1991). Has the best season of his career and gets a ring. Thanks man!

This was really hard, and fun! I'll do the pitchers next. I need a cigarette.

Great List!

I feel for you on the job front. Hopefully paid leave!

#14 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,592 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 02:49 PM

I'll start with mine

1B - Albert Pujols. Fielding Bible recently mentioned that Pujols graded as the best defensive first sacker in the last 25 years due to the distance he played off the bag. He was brilliant from day one, with a smooth swing and plenty of athleticism. His crowning season, IMO, was 2009, when he led the majors in home runs, runs, total bases, OPS, OPS+, and he still stole 16 bases with nearly twice as many walks as strikeouts.

2B - Ryne Sandberg: My great-grandma made me into a baseball fan, and she was a die-hard Cubs backer. Sandberg was the newest young star of the team as I was being introduced to the game, so 5-year old me really heard plenty about Sandberg's 1984 MVP season.

3B - Chipper Jones: Being a Braves fan, this is pretty easy. Chipper was a guy who was an ultimate team guy on the field, and while many would mention his 1999 season when he didn't even earn an All-Star nod but had an incredible second half to win the MVP, but I love looking back at 2008 as Jones was on his last legs after the outfield had ripped up his knees when he voluntarily changed positions (and of course, he delayed his debut a full season after a devastating knee injury that began to groan more in his mid-30s). In the 2008 season, Jones led all MLB in hitting and OBP, and he recorded his highest OPS+ of his HOF career.

SS - Andrelton Simmons: I've been lucky to see some excellent defenders in my lifetime, but on the dirt, none hold a candle to Simmons. His incredible arm adds to the ability to get to so many balls that only he can reach. While he's not known for his bat, 2017 showed what he can do with a contact-focused swing that has some natural gap power. Health has been a struggle in the past, and that's really the one thing that could hold him back from a Cooperstown role eventually as one of the elite defenders in the game's history.

LF - Rickey Henderson: Getting to see the remarkable blend of power and speed rolled into Rickey was always a display. I thought it was interesting that an old Negro League ballplayer that I talked with recalled the players of 1980s and 1990s, and he remembered before PEDs came around that only Bo Jackson was more impressive with his shirt off than was Rickey. I was too young to remember his brilliant 1982 season, but after some time in the Bronx, Rickey returned to Oakland in 1990 in the midst of the A's dynasty, and he led the majos in OPS and OPS+ while also stealing 65 bases.

CF - Andruw Jones: Bar none, the best defender I've ever seen in my life at any position. Jones doesn't get the credit he deserves with many who don't trust metrics because he made it look so easy, but as metrics have begun to review his positioning and realize how he was able to cover incredible amount of ground, his brilliance is finally being fully realized. Hopefully it gets there before he falls off the HOF ballot because he absolutely should be there. The 2000 season is the one I mentioned as he made his first All-Star game and was able to showcase nationally as he hit .300 for the only time in his career.

RF - Kirby Puckett: Growing up in Twins territory, I used to tell my local barber to give me a "Kirby Puckett haircut", but he was not given permission by my parents. Oddly enough, now I shave my head daily, so I got there anyway! Puckett's turn of the decade performance from 1986-1992 (avg. 207 hits, 20 HR, and a .329 BA) was incredible, but the 1988 season was definitely his best overall as he hit .356 with 24 home runs. A little trivia...did you know Kirby was leading the AL in RBI in 1994 when the strike hit?

DH - Juan Gonzalez: When he first came up, his birthday on his baseball card was listed as exactly 10 years earlier than mine, and that was a big deal to me at that age. His age was later corrected when he had to clear when returning the DR one winter rather than Puerto Rico, and his birthday was moved to four days later. By then I was already hooked as a fan, and he was already a full-time player, coming off a 100-RBI year and about to win his first home run title. I have two years that I loved with Gonzalez. The first was 1998, when he had 101 RBI at the All-Star break and went on to win the MVP, but in 1993 when he was still fairly unknown, I was one of few that knew of him and he went .310/.368/.632 with 46 HR, 105 R, and 118 RBI. Injuries really wore him down (and yeah, I know what the accusations are), but he finished just a couple seasons shy of 500 homers.

Bench - Tony Phillips: The ultimate jack-of-all-trades. Phillips had multiple years where he played significant time at three or more positions. The 1992 season was a crazy one as Phillips played at least 10 games at 5 positions and had a single game at every infield position but first base and all three outfield positions. He was no slouch with the bat, though, leading the majors that year in runs scored, hitting .276/.387/.388 with 10 homers and 12 steals to go with 32 doubles.

Bench - Eddie Perez: Growing up watching Perez as Greg Maddux's personal caddy, I had a huge appreciation for the backup catcher. Perez was/is an awesome dugout guy and really could handle a staff. While he hit fairly well throughout his career as a backup, 1996 was his pinnacle, as he hit .336/.404/.537 in 167 PA over 61 games.

Bench - Julio Franco: Interestingly, I was a fan of Franco back in his Indians days when he was a very talented middle infielder, but then he became a forever favorite when he became the modern version of Satchel Paige when he returned to the majors in 2001 with the Braves. He'd be exclusively my bench/pinch hit guy, but that batting stance is a favorite, and his best year after he returned was 2004 when he was 45 years old and hit .309/.378/.441 over 361 PA.

Bench - Bip Roberts: The National League's answer to Phillips, Roberts spent a dozen years in the majors with a .294 career batting average. His 1992 season was the best example of what I remember of Roberts, when he played double-digit games at four positions and slashed .323/.393/.432 with 44 stolen bases.

SP - Greg Maddux: Growing up a Braves fan in the 1980s and then the 1990s, the pitching of the 1990s was amazing. Maddux was the peak of it. Arguably the greatest right-hander of a generation, Maddux had two of his best years around the strike, with the 1995 season my favorite as Maddux would have had more wins than walks in a season when he made 28 starts and tossed 209 2/3 innings if not for a horrific August start against Cincinnati when he accumulated one quarter of his entire season's total of walks, allowing five free passes in the game of 23 that season.

SP - Randy Johnson: No one was more fun to watch in the 1990s and early 2000s than Johnson, from his long frame with endless arms and legs in his delivery that generated top velocity along with a killer slider. While he had elite years in the middle, my two favorite seasons for Johnson were his bookend seasons in Arizona, 1999 and 2004. While he didn't have great win-loss records in those two seasons, Johnson combined those two seasons to go 33-23 over 70 starts, completing 16 of them, 4 shutouts, tossing 517 1/3 innings. In that time, he struck out 654 while walking 114, giving him a 2.54 ERA and 0.96 WHIP.

SP - Johan Santana: No one on this board needs to be told how great Johan was. Of course, many believe that he should have won three CY awards in a row, but I would even argue that the year he didn't win, 2005, was actually his best season. He simply saw Bartolo rack up 22 wins that season and take the award. He had his lowest FIP and his best K/BB in 2005. It was also the season I got to watch him strike out double digits in a late-season start against the Indians that Casey Blake ended up ruining for him as Joe Nathan blew the save but the Twins won it in the bottom of the inning on a Punto bunt.

SP - Dave Stewart: The most intimidating starter growing up, I copied Stewart's stare over the top of his glove from the mound as a youth on the mound. He struggled to establish himself until Oakland signed him off waivers in 1986. He was a staff leader starting in 1987, but he often had plenty of walks along with a mediocre strikeout rate. The 1990 season was his exception, as he walked around 7.8% of hitters instead of exceeding 10%.

SP - Nolan Ryan: The Ryan Express was impressive to witness on the mound., Incredibly, Ryan holds 51 major league records. However, in his final tour with the Rangers, he struck out 300 just once, in 1989, his first year with the Rangers.

Closer - Joe Nathan: Part of the greatest trade in Twins history, Nathan was elite for six seasons in Minnesota before going through Tommy John surgery. He had seasons as good as or even better than Mariano during that time, but 2006, at age 31, was his best, as he posted the lowest FIP and WHIP while posting the highest strikeout rate of his career.

RP - Kerry Ligtenberg: South Dakota-born, Minnesota high school grad, and former Gopher, I was a huge fan of Ligtenberg, especially his back story, being acquired for balls and bats and other equipment. His first full season, 1998, he was the Braves' closer, saving 30 games for arguably the best Braves team in their 1990s run.

RP - Mike Fetters: One of my favorites on the mound, Fetters' head snap on the mound was amazing. Watching Fetters with the 2000 Dodgers was a great experience, especially when you could watch Fetters come in for Kevin Brown.

RP - Dan Quisenberry: He wasn't the first submariner, and he wouldn't be the last, but when you think of submariners, Quisenberry is naturally the first to come to mind. H was an elite reliever for a seven season period, but once he was hurt, he lost his feel quickly and was out of the game two seasons later. His peak was 1983, but I never saw him pitch then, catching him first in 1984, when he was barely a tick off that 1983 pace.

RP - Craig Kimbrell: His fastball was not the fastest; his curve was not the best, but when you added in his lean and his fast-paced delivery with an awkward low 3/4 delivery, Kimbrel was brilliant for the game. He exploded on the scene, but his second full season was his most incredible to watch as he posted a 1.01 ERA in 2012 with an unheard of 0.78 FIP while striking out 116 over 62 2/3 innings, walking just 14.

RP - Billy Wagner: The small lefty could dial up incredible velocity, reaching and exceeding triple digits. His career as a reliever was as worthy of the Hall of Fame as any reliever in there outside Rivera based on just how he performed as a reliever. After missing much of the 2008 and 2009 seasons, many figured Wagner was done, but he pitched 2010 with the Braves to a 1.43 ERA and 0.87 WHIP, saving 37 games and striking out 104 over 69 1/3 innings. He stated that he felt he'd shown all he needed to in the game after returning from injury, and he retired.

RP - Aroldis Chapman: Off-field stuff nearly completely took him off this list, but 104 is 104, and there are few things more exciting than his lanky lefty delivery resulting in the ball exploding from his hand, so when he took over as Reds closer in 2012, it was incredible to watch.

RP - Juan Berenguer: Senor Smoke was nearing the end of his career when he joined the Twins in 1987, his second year as a primary reliever. He was tremendously valuable for the 1987 Twins and then faced his former teammates in 1991 with the Braves when he had one of his best years, saving 17 games with a 2.24 ERA for Atlanta. He would be out of baseball after the next season.

Finished the write-ups...

#15 AceWrigley

AceWrigley

Ft Myers Miracle

• 298 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 11:08 PM

I'm not sure how I left Kirby Puckett off my team ... forgive my KP. I'll blame it on cabin fever and the wine.

#16 The Wise One

The Wise One

• 1,873 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 04:28 AM

For how I feel today I will just go with the'02 Pirates. Not that 02 Pirates team, the 1902 version. 

#17 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,592 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 11:20 AM

For how I feel today I will just go with the'02 Pirates. Not that 02 Pirates team, the 1902 version. 

You saw them live?

#18 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• 1,606 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 01:51 PM

You saw them live?

He's Chief's younger brother. 

• biggentleben, Ex-Iowegian, Sconnie and 2 others like this

#19 Jack

Jack

Elizabethton Twins

• 2 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 02:15 PM

C-Butch Wynegar

1st-Harmon Killebrew

2nd-Rod Carew

SS-Leo Cardenas

3rd-Gary Gaetti

LF-Steve Braun

CF-Cesar Tovar

RF-Tony Oliva

DH-Larry Hisle

Starting Pitchers

Jim Kaat 

Jim Perry

Dave Boswell

Johan Santana

Bert Blyleven

Relievers

Ron Perranoski

Stan Williams

Mike Marshall

Juan Berenguer

Jeff Reardon

Tom Hall

Joe Nathan

Bench

Brant Alyea

Steve Brye

John Roseboro

Ted Uhlaender

Rich Reese

DL List

John Castino, Justin Morneau, and Joe Mays

#20 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,267 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 05:43 AM

Mike Piazza had an insane 1997.He hit .362-40-124 with an OPS+ of 184

I could see him being picked over Mauer in a lot of places, just not on this board