Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Good Baseball (or Twins) Books

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 Preston Schutt

Preston Schutt

Elizabethton Twins

• 1 posts

Posted 14 March 2020 - 01:50 PM

I'll add:

Prophet of the Sandlots: Journeys with a Baseball Scout by Mark Winegardner

One Shot at Forever by Chris Ballard

Ball Four Plus Ball Five: An Update 1970-80 by Jim Bouton

#22 mickeymental

mickeymental

• 1,389 posts

Posted 15 March 2020 - 12:58 PM

The Kid Who Batted 1.000 (1951), by Bob Allison and Frank Ernest Hill with illustrations by Paul Galdone. The Chicks, a last place team in the American League, discover Dave Smith, a teenage hick and aspiring chicken farmer in back-country Oklahoma, who is found to have the ability to hit any ball delivered by any major-league pitcher in the strike zone – but always foul. Eventually he receives four pitches out of the strike zone and draws a walk, every time at bat, thus leading the Chicks to the league championship.

Underworld (1997), by Don DeLillo. A best seller that was nominated for the National Book Award and shortlisted for the Pulitzer Prize, it is often regarded as DeLillo's supreme achievement. In 2006, a survey of eminent authors and critics conducted by The New York Times found Underworld the runner-up for the best work of American fiction of the past 25 years; the novel finished behind only Toni Morrison's Beloved.The novel opens on October 3, 1951, when a boy named Cotter Martin sneaks in to watch the New York Giants play the Brooklyn Dodgers at the Giants' home field Polo Grounds. In the ninth inning, Ralph Branca pitches to Bobby Thomson, who hits the ball into the stands for a three-run homer, beating the Dodgers 5-4 and capturing the National League pennant. The fate of that ball is unknown, but in DeLillo's novel, Cotter Martin wrests this valuable ball away from another fan who has just befriended him, and runs home. Cotter's father, Manx, steals the ball and later sells it for $32.45.

#23 TwinsFan268

TwinsFan268

Elizabethton Twins

• 34 posts

Posted 15 March 2020 - 01:24 PM

One great Twins-specific book is 100 Things Twins Fans Should Know And Do Before They Die by Alex Halsted. Fun, lighthearted, and very educational for Twins fans. 

• mhanson93 likes this

i like rally squirrels and bombas, nothing more

#24 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• 1,444 posts

Posted 15 March 2020 - 02:48 PM

For a light easy read try Calico Joe by John Grisham. I hate the Yankees, but I respect Mariano Rivera. Read his autobiography entitled: Closer. The Soul of Baseball by Joe Posnanski is a road trip with Buck O'Neill. A sweet book about a really nice man. Thank you to all who have posted here. These books will help us all get through these uncertain times

• jkcarew likes this

#25 24fan-MackPlouffeDonaldson

24fan-MackPlouffeDonaldson

Elizabethton Twins

• 12 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 08:31 AM

Great topic!
Here are my all-time starting 9 baseball books:

Where Nobody Knows Your Name - John Feinstein

The Grind - Barry Svrluga

They Played For the Love of the Game - Frank White

Try Not to Suck (Joe Maddon) - Jesse Rogers and Bill Chastain

Ninety Percent Mental - Bob Tewksbury (former Twins P)

I'm Fascinated By Sacrifice Flies - Tim Kurkjian

Is This A Great Game or What?! - Tim Kurkjian

The Big Chair - Ned Colletti

The Culture Code - Daniel Coyle [amazing book in general that applies to and references baseball]

---The back-up starting 9:

Ahead of the Curve - Brian Kenny

Dropping the Ball - Dave Winfield

Smart Baseball - Keith Law

Baseball in San Diego - Bill Swank

Lou - Bill Madden

The Arm - Jeff Passan

Power Ball - Rob Neyer

Love Me, Hate Me: Barry Bonds and the Making of an Antihero - Jeff Pearlman

Hardball: A Season in the Projects - Daniel Coyle

---there are many bad baseball books out there too....

#26 Ex-Iowegian

Ex-Iowegian

• 65 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 11:02 AM

"Fathers Playing Catch with Sons" by Donald Hall.

Skip the facts, just gimme the details.

#27 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Twins Daily Staff
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 03:01 PM

As a Minor League guy, I'd be remiss if I didn't second "Where Nobody Knows Your Name" by John Feinstein.

• 24fan-MackPlouffeDonaldson likes this

Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 45, Speed: 45. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but will sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

#28 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,811 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 07:26 PM

The Glory of Their Times - Laurence Ritter
The Boys of Summer - Roger Kahn

Start with the classics.
  • Hosken Bombo Disco and Patrick Wozniak like this

#29 kenbuddha

kenbuddha

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 52 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 03:50 PM

A really interesting book is David Helyar's "The Lords of the Realm". Yes, it's about player/owner relations over the years, but I found it to give great insight into how things got to where they are. The edition I read went through 1995(?) or so. There's lots of fun stories in it illustrating how the owners don't even trust each other let alone the players. For Twins fans, there's a great story in there about how Cal Griffith was involved in the Dodgers moving west (hint: he was outmaneuvered).

Good stuff.

#30 Diesel

Diesel

Ft Myers Miracle

• 423 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 09:24 PM

I’m just starting to read Moneyball currently, and it’s really good so far!

#31 jctwins

jctwins

• 429 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 04:14 PM

I can't believe no one has mentioned "As They See 'Em", a book about the life of being an umpire. It's a great baseball read about a subject few people learn much about.

#32 Jeff_M

Jeff_M

Elizabethton Twins

• 13 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 12:50 AM

Anyone have a look at Dick Bremer's book My Life in Stitches?I just saw it advertised on the recent broadcast of Twins Classics (this time, Braves vs. Twins, Aug. 5 2019).

#33 Sconnie

Sconnie

Wooo!

• 5,864 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 22 March 2020 - 12:18 PM

Anyone have a look at Dick Bremer's book My Life in Stitches? I just saw it advertised on the recent broadcast of Twins Classics (this time, Braves vs. Twins, Aug. 5 2019).

Seth has a really good Pod w/ Bremer on the book

http://twinsdaily.co...or/#entry960993

#34 Heinie Manush

Heinie Manush

• 22 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 02:25 PM

A newly released novel by Emily Nemens, Cactus League, is, in my opinion, a gem.