Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

GAME (of life) THREAD 3/13: MIN (and the world) vs. COVID-19.

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#41 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 9,440 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 15 March 2020 - 09:38 AM

BTW, the most recent death from COVID-19 in Florida was a 77 y.o. from Lee County (Fort Myers).

#42 ashbury

ashbury

Elizabethton Twins

• 25,155 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 15 March 2020 - 10:21 AM

I have decided for sure to leave ASAP. Medical professionals in my family think that even if I'm asymptomatic, that I've probably been exposed. They think I should get home right away and I concur. I have an automotive issue to take care of, hopefully tomorrow, and then I'll be on the freeways heading north and west.

Safe travels, my friend, and good luck on arrival.

• Craig Arko, Sconnie, DocBauer and 1 other like this

You should attempt to re-express your opponent’s position so clearly, vividly, and fairly that your opponent says, 'Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.'

#43 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

bomba stick

• 8,696 posts

Posted 15 March 2020 - 12:32 PM

My cheap American Airlines ticket for next Tuesday is non-refundable, since apparently their offer to waive change fees is moot if they aren't relaxing the restriction that I can't change. So, I could fly down, have dinner, then use my changeable Delta return flight to go back the same night on a red-eye with a connection. Sound like fun?

/ no it does not

Yes, that does sound like fun!

#44 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

bomba stick

• 8,696 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 01:50 PM

When all our responsibilities can be fulfilled remotely, does that mean it is a time for a road trip?

But everything human related is like... cancelled. So that makes it time to hunker down in that cabin in the woods, and get back to nature.

Anyone spot a flaw in this logic?

(It just seems mighty quiet... everyone is still alive, right?)

#45 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,910 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 16 March 2020 - 01:59 PM

I boarded a plane this morning... but my flights were empty... Airlines are going to be in a world of hurt in the not so distant future... going to start watching trips to Hawaii this fall, that's for sure.

The good news is I've been told this is my last trip for a bit. 

#46 ashbury

ashbury

Elizabethton Twins

• 25,155 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 16 March 2020 - 02:11 PM

I saw that American Airlines is offering a variety of short- and long-term leave options to members of their pilots union, including one option that amounts to early retirement at reduced salary until 65. So this sounds like they're not seeing this as a brief blip.

You should attempt to re-express your opponent’s position so clearly, vividly, and fairly that your opponent says, 'Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.'

#47 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,910 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 16 March 2020 - 04:21 PM

I saw that American Airlines is offering a variety of short- and long-term leave options to members of their pilots union, including one option that amounts to early retirement at reduced salary until 65. So this sounds like they're not seeing this as a brief blip.

Judging by how empty my plane was today, the airline industry is going to be in trouble.

Flip side is that you should see some good sales in the not so distant future

#48 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,169 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 05:29 PM

When all our responsibilities can be fulfilled remotely, does that mean it is a time for a road trip?

But everything human related is like... cancelled. So that makes it time to hunker down in that cabin in the woods, and get back to nature.

Anyone spot a flaw in this logic?

(It just seems mighty quiet... everyone is still alive, right?)

(dead on the inside only)

He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#49 VATwinsFan

VATwinsFan

• 1,971 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 17 March 2020 - 09:05 AM

This weekend a high school buddy of mine made the final flight of his commercial pilot career (finished up flying between the States and China/Japan) and posted a video from the cockpit of his last landing.

Talk about good timing.

#50 Sconnie

Sconnie

Wooo!

• 5,864 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 17 March 2020 - 11:28 AM

I work in a giant corporate office and we’re all waiting for “we’re closing the office, you need to work from home for the next month”... but going into the office every day.

I suggest watching the 87 series, it was awesome!

I really like running, it allows me to keep my social distance from everyone and no one tells me I’m antisocial. I am currently training for the 10 mile Hot Dash, but I’m thinking of not going...

Update: working from home now, things change quickly

#51 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Baseball and thought

• 8,794 posts
  • LocationThe ballpark of the mind

Posted 17 March 2020 - 11:33 AM

Update: working from home now, things change quickly

Exponentially, one might say.

• Sconnie and Nine of twelve like this
"Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars." - Old Serbian proverb

#52 MN_ExPat

MN_ExPat

I had fun once... It was awful.

• 520 posts
  • LocationSouth Georgia (the state, not the country)

Posted 17 March 2020 - 11:59 AM

I'm stuck going to work regardless... don't have a choice on that one :).

But my son... the State Athletic Assoc. just suspended their baseball season.He and the rest of his teammates were pretty upset.The night the official notice came down, he was scheduled to start the next day on the bump.

He was having a heck of a season thus far (15.3 K/9 & 45 K% :).

#53 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 6,277 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 07:31 PM

In reference to the good and bad of positional analysis posts, I offer the following:

BAD:

This stinks! Most of us have lived through various flu "pandemics" or severe warnings before. Thankfully, when all is said and done, we have all come through mostly unscathed. The loss of March Madness, the college baseball season, the CWS, spring football, spring games, and the start of baseball is devastating to all of us as sports fans. Not to mention the loss of income to travel destination cities and places that would host special events. (Like the CWS here in Omaha). And I feel especially bad for ushers, vendors and the such who may struggle at this time.

I don't know if it's prudent or over-reaction, but the runs on simple household cleaners, paper products and packaged food is just nuts. One would almost think the end of days is near. And I find it ABHORANT that some people have used this time to horde product to make a profit off their neighbors. (Glad to see various companies and authorities have taken steps to quell this, shut down operations of such people, and hope prosecution or fines follow).

GOOD:

While all of this stinks, it is better to be proactive and safe rather than be sorry. And we will all weather this storm collectively as good people, Twins fans or not. :)

We can all assist within our own communities, as well as right here as a special support group as TD family. And when this settles, I hope everyone just smiles a bit more, laughs a bit more, and appreciates a bit more having sports and regular life back again.

I work for a telecommunications company that is taking steps to change hours, while taking care of their employees and their subscribers. My hours have changed as of today. And the one thing I really hope most/all of us can do in this down time is not only help, where we can, but spend any extra time with friends and family. We kind of joke about things like Netflix binges. But what about doing that with friends and family? Or play games together? I hope most of us can just take time that we may have to release stress by realizing all we have, and spending what time we have available with loved ones. (Not to mention yard work, house work, or honey-do lists, lol)

We WILL all get through this.

SIDE NOTE: Matthew Taylor made a reference the other day in a front page OP about 3 ways to consume baseball. It would be really awesome as a distraction, if someone would just set their computer or game system up for auto-play and post some results for us to just mess with.

That's it. Nothing funny to say. Just God Bless everyone and hang in tbere.
  • Sconnie likes this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#54 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 25,751 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 01:13 PM

Judging by how empty my plane was today, the airline industry is going to be in trouble.

Flip side is that you should see some good sales in the not so distant future

My plane on American Monday was pretty full.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

#55 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 2,678 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 20 March 2020 - 10:36 AM

My workplace was reduced to a skeleton crew (with the interim staff made up of volunteers) at the end of business on 3/17. I did not volunteer. I'm in the "older adult" category, I can get by without the paycheck for now, and our benefits continue until I am called back in, which will be 4/6 at the earliest.

My youngest is home from college for an extended spring break with online instruction after that, and most of us think in-person instruction will not resume there until September. My oldest is traveling home today to stay here too since his workplace closed. His job term would have ended next month anyway so he doesn't have any reason to stay where he is. My middle child had his job changed to on-call only, but he has a safe haven, more or less happily living alone in his apartment due to his roommate leaving when the U of M cancelled in-person classes.

We are sheltering in place for the foreseeable future, leaving only to purchase necessary staples and to walk the dog.

One more comment. These are extreme measures, they are a hardship, there is a huge financial and societal cost, but it's far and away the best option. Ignoring or pooh-poohing this situation is foolish in the highest degree. Anyone who says otherwise is either badly misinformed, or in denial, or just plain lying.

Stay as safe as possible, everyone, and we'll all see each other at the next TD event!

• SQUIRREL and Sconnie like this

#56 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• 2,702 posts
  • LocationSilver Bay, Minnesota

Posted 20 March 2020 - 04:27 PM

I left Ft Myers last Sunday.Just to boring with an empty ball fields.If minors were still there I'd of stayed. 

he gone!

#57 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• 4,611 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 20 March 2020 - 09:34 PM

The next month is going to be painful for a lot of Americans. If you have an extra package of sterile gloves, give them to your mail carrier. If you have an extra bag of rice, give it to the lady down the street trying to raise three kids on her own. If you know an elderly person, ask them if you can help them shop. Half of America may be putting next month's rent on a credit card. I wish the federal government would do something about that. 

• SQUIRREL likes this
The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

#58 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 23,375 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 10:12 PM

I've been watching the 91 series because it was just so phenomenal. 

Perhaps the most underrated series in all of baseball history. No one talks about it but five (!!!!!) games decided by one run, three in extra innings, including the final two.

How does a series get better than that?

• SQUIRREL and Nine of twelve like this

#59 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 9,440 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 21 March 2020 - 08:14 AM

I've returned from Fort Myers (actually Cape Coral) intact. My last full day in the area was spent indoors after I checked out the Twins' complex and found nothing but a softball tournament going on. Later I read that everyone was sent home. 

It is amazing to see how rapidly things have changed. By now, "shelter in place" is pretty much going on everywhere, either suggested or mandated. In taking two and a half days to drive home, it was remarkable to see how hotels were empty and highways were not crowded on normally busy rush hours during the week. I stayed in Atlanta, near the airport, and the hotel I found had approximately 20% occupancy, when usually close to full according to the desk clerk. Finding a place to eat in was impossible, so I used drive-thrus. 

Now I can shelter in place. My fiancée has stocked us well. Two plus days in and I'm already antsy. At least there's plenty of entertainment to binge on. Prepare yourself folks. It will probably be June before we see baseball.

#60 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 25,751 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 06:59 PM

I’m hearing inklings that my work will be shut down until mid-May. I don’t imagine we’ll be back to work at all this summer.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”