Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

GAME (of life) THREAD 3/13: MIN (and the world) vs. COVID-19.

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#21 ashbury

ashbury

Elizabethton Twins

• 25,155 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 13 March 2020 - 01:15 PM

Just like we drew it up.

According to the official rules of baseball, if the Mets had made just one more base running out at home, the inning would have been automatically declared over!

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

You should attempt to re-express your opponent’s position so clearly, vividly, and fairly that your opponent says, 'Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.'

#22 akmanak

akmanak

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 531 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 03:26 PM

How are the suspensions affected? If the seasons gets cut down to let's say by 25 games, will that cut down Pineda's suspension?

#23 Cap'n Piranha

Cap'n Piranha

• 2,377 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 03:33 PM

We were told today ... we’re out for 30 days. I work for an arts organization, so no performances for 30 days. Thankfully, we’re still getting paid. There is an ‘out clause’ in our contracts in case of such events (the wording specifically mentions epidemics), but the board chose not to do that. I would have been okay for 30 days ... it’s much easier to save and stretch one’s salary when you are a household of one ... but many of my colleagues would have had difficulties. The freelancers ar going to be seriously hurting. I had a scheduled week off next week and still deciding whether or not to follow through with those plans ... no, thankfully, it’s not a cruise.

You may have wanted to go even if it was a cruise--at this point you'd probably be the only one on the ship, and then hey, free boat!

• DocBauer likes this

#24 Cap'n Piranha

Cap'n Piranha

• 2,377 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 03:39 PM

It's interesting hearing how Minnesota is reacting, as I currently reside in Coronaville, USA (Seattle).Most workplaces that are capable of supporting WFH have instituted it, with some all but mandating it.A number of restaurants have closed, and school has been cancelled until late April, but other than that, it seems pretty normal.It will be interesting to see if Minnesota follows Ohio's lead, and attempts to "overreact" now in hopes of not having to go really hardcore in the future.

• nclahammer likes this

#25 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• 1,560 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 04:24 PM

My full-time job is working from home for 30 days beginning next week. My part-time job said they are cancelling the first two weeks at minimum, so who knows when I'll get to pick up some extra hours/cash at Target Field. 

If you're looking for some fun past Twins games on YouTube, might I suggest the "Classic Twins" channel? https://www.youtube....4RX0E-KyQybFIPQ You will lose hours of your life in there; it's amazing.

Thanks for the suggestion. It indeed looks amazing. I’m going to start with the Top 100 Metrodome Moments.

Uh, and we’ll see you tomorrow night.
  • woolywoolhouse, DocBauer and nclahammer like this

#26 NorthwestTwinsFan

NorthwestTwinsFan

• 452 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 04:37 PM

It's interesting hearing how Minnesota is reacting, as I currently reside in Coronaville, USA (Seattle).Most workplaces that are capable of supporting WFH have instituted it, with some all but mandating it.A number of restaurants have closed, and school has been cancelled until late April, but other than that, it seems pretty normal.It will be interesting to see if Minnesota follows Ohio's lead, and attempts to "overreact" now in hopes of not having to go really hardcore in the future.

I'm right there with ya.I live down the street from the Life Care Center in Kirkland, where the biggest outbreak occurred.Fortunately, I'm able to work from home most of the time, but it's hard now that my kids are going to be out of school for the next 6 weeks.None of us have shown any symptoms yet though (knock on wood), but we're still being cautious. Even though it's inconvenient that everything is closing down, I think it was the right move.I sure am bummer about March Madness being cancelled and baseball season being delayed though.

• nclahammer and Diesel like this

#27 ashbury

ashbury

Elizabethton Twins

• 25,155 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 13 March 2020 - 05:54 PM

How are you supposed to practice "common courtesy" when you are contagious for 5 days before you even feel any symptoms?

This is where the New England propensity for reserve and keeping one's distance stands to really pay off! :)

• Puckett34, Sconnie and MN_ExPat like this

You should attempt to re-express your opponent’s position so clearly, vividly, and fairly that your opponent says, 'Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.'

#28 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,177 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 06:13 PM

Chief has moved to Massachusetts.

Legal recreational marijuana stores in Massachusetts.

Just sayin

#29 Sconnie

Sconnie

Wooo!

• 5,864 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 13 March 2020 - 06:26 PM

It's interesting hearing how Minnesota is reacting, as I currently reside in Coronaville, USA (Seattle). Most workplaces that are capable of supporting WFH have instituted it, with some all but mandating it. A number of restaurants have closed, and school has been cancelled until late April, but other than that, it seems pretty normal. It will be interesting to see if Minnesota follows Ohio's lead, and attempts to "overreact" now in hopes of not having to go really hardcore in the future.

in the state of Wi, schools close on Wednesday until April 1.

#30 ashbury

ashbury

Elizabethton Twins

• 25,155 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 13 March 2020 - 07:34 PM

in the state of Wi, schools close on Wednesday until April 1.

Oh, suuuure. The kids all arrive, they find the doors are locked, and then the principal jumps out from behind the shrubbery to yell, APRIL FOOLS!

• Sconnie, DocBauer, nclahammer and 1 other like this

#31 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

bomba stick

• 8,696 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 11:18 PM

Post of the Day!

Do i have to come up with another?
  • ashbury likes this

#32 Sconnie

Sconnie

Wooo!

• 5,864 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 14 March 2020 - 08:11 AM

Do i have to come up with another?

it is Twins DAILY
  • ashbury, DocBauer and sampleSizeOfOne like this

#33 Puckett34

Puckett34

• 1,583 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, SD

Posted 14 March 2020 - 09:52 AM

Did we win yet?

• James likes this
Hit dingers. Never bunt.

#34 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

bomba stick

• 8,696 posts

Posted 14 March 2020 - 04:30 PM

it is Twins DAILY

Good point!
  • Puckett34 and Sconnie like this

#35 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,177 posts

Posted 14 March 2020 - 04:58 PM

Who is the pick to click?

#36 Sconnie

Sconnie

Wooo!

• 5,864 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 14 March 2020 - 06:11 PM

Who is the pick to click?

is it unfair to pick myself?

I guess it is, after all Pete Rose... so I pick Diesel for kicking off a most righteous thread
  • ashbury, MN_ExPat and Diesel like this

#37 Diesel

Diesel

Ft Myers Miracle

• 423 posts

Posted 14 March 2020 - 07:44 PM

With the lack of sports, There’s a couple of video creators that may interest you guys:

Jon Bois (SB Nation): has videos on a variety of sports related subjects, and has a 3 HOUR documentary about the Seattle Mariners coming out later this month. His Lonnie Smith and Koo Dae Sung videos are also great.

Foolish Baseball: If you like analytics, he’s your guy. He just posted a video about how Earl Weaver’s Orioles were eerily similar to Billy Beane’s Athletics teams of today.

#38 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 9,440 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 15 March 2020 - 07:05 AM

I’m cutting my Spring Training stay early, I think. I’ve been to the beach and played golf, but the reason I came was baseball. All of the people I was supposed to meet have canceled.

I drove to the Hammond and the training site to see if any players were still working out. Not a soul. It looked like the administration parking lot was full.
  • ashbury, nicksaviking and MN_ExPat like this

#39 ashbury

ashbury

Elizabethton Twins

• 25,155 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 15 March 2020 - 08:20 AM

All of the people I was supposed to meet have canceled.

My cheap American Airlines ticket for next Tuesday is non-refundable, since apparently their offer to waive change fees is moot if they aren't relaxing the restriction that I can't change. So, I could fly down, have dinner, then use my changeable Delta return flight to go back the same night on a red-eye with a connection. Sound like fun?

/ no it does not

• woolywoolhouse and MN_ExPat like this

#40 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 9,440 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 15 March 2020 - 09:36 AM

My cheap American Airlines ticket for next Tuesday is non-refundable, since apparently their offer to waive change fees is moot if they aren't relaxing the restriction that I can't change. So, I could fly down, have dinner, then use my changeable Delta return flight to go back the same night on a red-eye with a connection. Sound like fun?

/ no it does not

I have decided for sure to leave ASAP. Medical professionals in my family think that even if I'm asymptomatic, that I've probably been exposed. They think I should get home right away and I concur. I have an automotive issue to take care of, hopefully tomorrow, and then I'll be on the freeways heading north and west.

• Sconnie likes this