Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

GAME (of life) THREAD 3/13: MIN (and the world) vs. COVID-19.

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 Diesel

Diesel

Ft Myers Miracle

• 432 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 08:53 PM

Just recently, I read John Bonnes’ great article on how this site is an amazing community, and I couldn’t agree more. I’ve realized that the game of baseball is a nice way to get away from the problems you face at work, school, and home.

Last year, I got more heavily involved with the Game Threads of this site, and was even due to do one for a playoff game! Alas, that didn’t happen. In the past few months, the gravity of the coronavirus situation has intensified, leading to, at the very least, the postponement of baseball, along with many other events.

I wanted to start a “game thread” to just see how everybody’s doing. As one of the younger members of this site, I am currently on forced extended spring break from college. Faculty is preparing to switch to online classes, but who knows what will happen given the volatility of this virus. Doing homework and watching lectures for engineering classes without direct contact to teachers would definitely be interesting!

On the positive side, I get to see my family everyday, and get to work alongside my father and grandfather, which is amazing. With the sudden increase in free time, I think I’m going to start exercising more often, specifically running!

I’m still going to be watching baseball, but will be watching some of the classic Twins games, including:

Game 163 against the Tigers
Jason Kubel cycle game vs. the Angels
Miguel Sano grand slam against the Indians
The entirety of the 1991 World Series.

In conclusion, I just want to hear how everybody’s doing! We may be in some relative isolation for a bit, so anything goes below! Faux games, life updates, stories, anything. Everybody, stay safe, and keep your stick on the ice!
  • SQUIRREL, Yoke, glunn and 10 others like this

#2 Sconnie

Sconnie

Wooo!

• 6,098 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 12 March 2020 - 09:39 PM

I work in a giant corporate office and we’re all waiting for “we’re closing the office, you need to work from home for the next month”... but going into the office every day.

I suggest watching the 87 series, it was awesome!

I really like running, it allows me to keep my social distance from everyone and no one tells me I’m antisocial. I am currently training for the 10 mile Hot Dash, but I’m thinking of not going...
  • SQUIRREL, glunn, nicksaviking and 4 others like this

#3 Diesel

Diesel

Ft Myers Miracle

• 432 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 09:51 PM

I work in a giant corporate office and we’re all waiting for “we’re closing the office, you need to work from home for the next month”... but going into the office every day.

I suggest watching the 87 series, it was awesome!

I’ve watched both series before, but the ‘91 series is more of a priority. So many incredible moments! And I think this period of time is going to change a lot of jobs/colleges for good (more working online/from home).
  • Sconnie, nclahammer and MN_ExPat like this

#4 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• 1,608 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 10:26 PM

Great thread idea.

I went looking to see if the Rod Carew Game (6/26/77) is on YouTube. It’s not, but there’s some cool Carew stories there. And as a bonus, I discovered that that day also was Elvis’ last concert. 

I travel a lot for work, so today I had to cancel two trips. I spent about 75 minutes on hold with Delta, waiting to get a refund on travel, before giving up because I had a Zoom call beginning. I interact with churches in my work, and I’m part of a faith tradition that puts a high value on “community,” so there’s been a fair amount of discussion about how to do that in a time of “social distancing.” One of the ideas we’re going to try in lieu of some canceled dinner meetings on said trip are “virtual potlucks,” where we’ll invite people to join a Zoom call over supper in their respective homes. Who knows how it will go, but I think it will be fun to try.

I’m also hoping that the cancellation of March Madness will serve as the great equalizer in my fantasy league. See, normally I’m the guy who skips watching March Madness to bone up on my draft strategy, but it never works. I’m hoping that with the other owners not being able to watch hoops, they’ll fritter their time away preparing for the draft as well, and perhaps they’ll overanalyze themselves down to my level.

• nclahammer, MN_ExPat and Diesel like this

#5 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

bomba stick

• 8,740 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 11:25 PM

I hope we win.
  • ashbury, Yoke, Danchat and 7 others like this

#6 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 26,126 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 11:27 PM

We were told today ... we’re out for 30 days. I work for an arts organization, so no performances for 30 days. Thankfully, we’re still getting paid. There is an ‘out clause’ in our contracts in case of such events (the wording specifically mentions epidemics), but the board chose not to do that. I would have been okay for 30 days ... it’s much easier to save and stretch one’s salary when you are a household of one ... but many of my colleagues would have had difficulties. The freelancers ar going to be seriously hurting. I had a scheduled week off next week and still deciding whether or not to follow through with those plans ... no, thankfully, it’s not a cruise.
  • Platoon, nclahammer, Diesel and 1 other like this
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

#7 nclahammer

nclahammer

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 133 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 04:58 AM

Great post and I've enjoyed reading everyone'scomments.I'm a 3rd grade teacher in Red Wing, MN, so we're going about our every day business with a more vigilant effort toward washing our hands, cleaning classroom syrfaces more frequently, and trying to keep a steady reaction to all the changes going on around us.I plan on rewatching the 87 and 91 World Series games, if I end up having some time off (our district does not currently have online capabilities at the elementary level), and possibly doing some rearranging in my sports room.Stay healthy everyone and wash, wash, wash your hands.

• Sconnie, MN_ExPat and Diesel like this

#8 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 9,471 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 13 March 2020 - 06:24 AM

I’m “stuck” in Fort Myers with no games to watch. I am going golfing later this morning.

My fiancée is scheduled to fly down a week from yesterday, but that plan is doubtful. I’m waiting until the weekend to determine whether I’ll head back early or hang on here.

I made a blog entry entitled “Strange Days” about my experiences yesterday.
  • Sconnie, nclahammer, MN_ExPat and 1 other like this

#9 TopGunn#22

TopGunn#22

• 184 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 06:55 AM

Rewatching the 1987 & 1991 World Series sounds like a good idea !I'd love to see the 1965 World Series as well.Koufax in his prime.Killebrew & Oliva.I heard yesterday that baseball is desperate to find a way to finish the World Series before the election.How stupid!The election is on November 3rd !!!This is a perfect opportunity to implement a 154 game schedule and find a way to have a Game #7 of the World Series happen no later than October 20th or so.This idea of playing any World Series games on Halloween or November 1st is INSANE.Unless the Dodgers are playing the Oakland A's it's ridiculous.The Twins have a decent chance to make it that far.Baseball games in Minnesota in November??No way.And this is with baseball discussing plans to broaden the post-season.  

#10 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan for life!

• 25,473 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 13 March 2020 - 07:19 AM

I was scheduled to board a plane bound for Ft Myers next Tuesday, but that ain't happening. The library where I do afternoon tutoring probably won't be a very active place starting about now. Some trail repair events I was coordinating probably won't be taking place. All in all, the coming weeks shape up as a chance to call my own bluff and tackle some of those tasks that have been piling up on my to-do list.

It's a game thread? Here:

I saw a guy spill his box of Scrabble tiles while he was trying to cross the road.
So I asked him, yo dude, what's the word on the street?

• Sconnie, DocBauer, IndianaTwin and 5 others like this

If your attack appears to be going well, then you're in an ambush.

#11 Yoke

Yoke

• 91 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 07:33 AM

I work in a small office, and we'll be staying open. That'll be interesting. We work with a lot of doctors offices (dentists and pediatricians), and they are doing their best to get the message about how they keep their offices clean, and what to do if you're feeling sick.

My oldest daughter's school is on spring break, and it sounds like they'll be back on Monday. That one makes me a little nervous, since they only have spring break every other year, so a lot of people head out of town on trips. Hopefully nobody brings anything back. My wife is also a teacher, but they haven't had spring break yet. They're also trying to figure out what to do to prevent everyone from getting sick.

These are the types of things nobody plans for, and when you talk about them in meetings, it's when 75% space out, because "that's not gonna happen". Welp...it's happening (and not in the fun Twins way).

#12 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• 1,608 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 07:40 AM

I was scheduled to board a plane bound for Ft Myers next Tuesday, but that ain't happening. The library where I do afternoon tutoring probably won't be a very active place starting about now. Some trail repair events I was coordinating probably won't be taking place. All in all, the coming weeks shape up as a chance to call my own bluff and tackle some of those tasks that have been piling up on my to-do list.

It's a game thread? Here:

I saw a guy spill his box of Scrabble tiles while he was trying to cross the road.
So I asked him, yo dude, what's the word on the street?

Chief has moved to Massachusetts.

• ashbury, DocBauer, Platoon and 2 others like this

#13 Number3

Number3

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 503 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 07:48 AM

I know I will get some flak for this but this is a classic cure vs disease situation. Statistically I would bet that the riskiest thing people do to get to events is getting to and returning from the event not catching a virus at the event. Its always been common sense and common courtesy to avoid close contact with other people if you even have a common cold. All these cancellations are a total over reaction. Heaven forbid there should be a real crisis. I love when the media says "we are not trying to scare people" as they show electron microscope images of the virus that looks like a creature from outer space. The market dive is another issue way out of proportion caused by financial institution computers moving millions of shares around so fast that no "investor" can possibly keep up. The wealthy fund managers always make millions and the idea of investing has nothing to do with it.

OK I am ready.

#14 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan for life!

• 25,473 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 13 March 2020 - 09:15 AM

Chief has moved to Massachusetts.

This thread:

2fb7ce2f-cf30-47d9-a98f-3f0b7db4cffa_1.4

• SQUIRREL, James, Sconnie and 6 others like this

If your attack appears to be going well, then you're in an ambush.

#15 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 8,240 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 09:24 AM

I know I will get some flak for this but this is a classic cure vs disease situation. Statistically I would bet that the riskiest thing people do to get to events is getting to and returning from the event not catching a virus at the event. Its always been common sense and common courtesy to avoid close contact with other people if you even have a common cold. All these cancellations are a total over reaction. Heaven forbid there should be a real crisis. I love when the media says "we are not trying to scare people" as they show electron microscope images of the virus that looks like a creature from outer space. The market dive is another issue way out of proportion caused by financial institution computers moving millions of shares around so fast that no "investor" can possibly keep up. The wealthy fund managers always make millions and the idea of investing has nothing to do with it.
OK I am ready.

How are you supposed to practice "common courtesy" when you are contagious for 5 days before you even feel any symptoms?
  • NorthwestTwinsFan, woolywoolhouse and Nine of twelve like this

#16 VATwinsFan

VATwinsFan

• 1,974 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 13 March 2020 - 09:49 AM

I am in the financial services industry (OUCH!!!).We are open but have asked clients to meet via phone/webex unless they absolutely, positively want to meet face to face.Other than sending a part-time employee home indefinitely as a precaution (a very young 80+ year old who has had some health problems in the past) and sanitizing hands and surfaces, we're doing our thing.

Outside the office, school systems are closing down all over the place (I am in northern Virginia not too far from the gates of hell i.e. Washington, D.C.) and the bottled water/cleaning supply sections of many grocery stores look like they have been looted.

• MN_ExPat and Diesel like this

#17 woolywoolhouse

woolywoolhouse

• 355 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 10:23 AM

My full-time job is working from home for 30 days beginning next week. My part-time job said they are cancelling the first two weeks at minimum, so who knows when I'll get to pick up some extra hours/cash at Target Field. 

If you're looking for some fun past Twins games on YouTube, might I suggest the "Classic Twins" channel? https://www.youtube....4RX0E-KyQybFIPQ You will lose hours of your life in there; it's amazing. 

• Hosken Bombo Disco, nclahammer and MN_ExPat like this

SblamiVvl-SFSfi_8yN5GGvjJk0=.gif

#18 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,394 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 10:29 AM

Also, have a video of the Mets singling their way into a 9-2-6-baserunner-3-2 double play

• James, TopGunn#22, nclahammer and 1 other like this
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#19 tvagle

tvagle

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,849 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 11:08 AM

I hope we win.

Post of the Day!

• TopGunn#22 likes this

I'm going to need a Falvine definition of the word IMPACT in regards to MLB Hurlers

#20 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

bomba stick

• 8,740 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 11:55 AM

Also, have a video of the Mets singling their way into a 9-2-6-baserunner-3-2 double play

Just like we drew it up.
  • TopGunn#22 and Hosken Bombo Disco like this