Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Twins Announce First Round Of Cuts

lewis thorpe rocco baldelli nick gordon travis blankenhorn
  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 25,914 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 09:57 AM

I think it's a little early for him to get cut, but I think missing that camp time didn't help his cause.

I agree that he'd definitely get some opportunities this summer, but going on Twitter and being pissed about it rarely is a useful way to go about it. Doesn't make them move you up faster, and rarely makes them trade you faster, since you won't bring back as much right away.

I didn’t see anything he wrote on twitter as ‘pissed.’ And remember Glen Perkins’ beginnings with the Twins?
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

#22 Darius

Darius

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,801 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 11:21 AM

Thorpe doesn't seem super jazzed about the whole thing on Twitter.

Yeah, I’ve lost a little respect for him. Can’t be that whiny on social media. Not productive, terrible optics.

One fan tweeted something along the lines of “see you at Target Field soon.” He responds “Maybe.” Very whiny and petulant in his responses/tweets, IMO. “I get to decide what’s next...not them”, etc.

I have a really hard time mustering up empathy for a guy in his position.

You’re broke and got laid off from your coal mining job after breaking your back for 20 years? Gripe away. You compete with numerous other players for a lucrative last spot on a professional baseball roster, leave camp for two weeks, thus get relegated for a few weeks? Kindly, shut up, and stop expecting things handed to you.
  • Musk21 likes this

#23 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 25,914 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 01:58 PM

Wow ... you guys read quite a bit more into those tweets than I did. I just read those as disappointed, not whiny ... and the 'I decide' I took as it's up to him. He knows what he has to do, now he has to go work on it and earn a call up.

• DocBauer likes this
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

#24 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,994 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 10 March 2020 - 02:05 PM

yeah, if all he said was "maybe" I think there's way too much tone being read into it... 

#25 shortroune81

shortroune81

Elizabethton Twins

• 1 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 02:35 PM

yeah, if all he said was "maybe" I think there's way too much tone being read into it... 

There was an earlier tweet that looks like it was deleted where Thorpe posted, "This is a joke." Then shortly thereafter it was announced he'd been reassigned.

#26 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 25,914 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 04:44 PM

There was an earlier tweet that looks like it was deleted where Thorpe posted, "This is a joke." Then shortly thereafter it was announced he'd been reassigned.

It was a day later that it was announced. He could have been told then before it was announced. And Baldelli said he wasn’t exactly happy about, but understood. Honestly, I get it. I think he’s allowed some disappointment. But what he does over the next few weeks, then we’ll see what he does with it.
  • DocBauer likes this

#27 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,719 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 05:02 PM

He needs to work hard and get back. It is the work that matters. As long as he works hard I don’t care what he says and I certainly have no interest in what he (or anyone for that matter) tweets.

#28 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 8,239 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 06:41 PM

It was a day later that it was announced. He could have been told then before it was announced. And Baldelli said he wasn’t exactly happy about, but understood. Honestly, I get it. I think he’s allowed some disappointment. But what he does over the next few weeks, then we’ll see what he does with it.

I don't really have much problem with him venting, but I'd say he lacks self awareness if he thought he had any shot at making the roster after taking the first week and a half off to tend to personal matters.
  • SQUIRREL, Twins33, DocBauer and 1 other like this

#29 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 6,401 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 08:31 PM

I am not judging anything Thorpe may have tweeted because frankly, (and this is part of the reason I despise Twitter and don't have it), things sent out can not only be spontaneous but misinterpreted without proper context and vocalizations. How many of us have read or sent a text message, or email, for instance that wasn't interpreted the way we intended?

This kid has already gone through a lot in his career, and he's responded wonderfully. He's been going through something we know nothing about, hence his time off. I'm pretty sure Rocco and others have sat him down and made the situation and their belief in him very clear. Honestly, sending him out now is a good thing. It means he can relax, get in his work, get stretched out, and get ready for a great 2020.

When the dust settles, this will be something barely remembered.
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lewis thorpe, rocco baldelli, nick gordon, travis blankenhorn