Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Freddie Freeman Mic

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,712 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 07 March 2020 - 09:25 AM

https://youtu.be/JPpVdMDez5U

This is the type of thing that Baseball needs to incorporate into every broadcast in an effort to reach new audiences, heighten player brands, increase interest, humanize the players and educate. 

Obviously, the discussion with the booth should be off limits due to performance distraction and they would have to manage blue language through a simple delay or only using audio on replays but this is one of many things that baseball can do to improve the broadcasts, create superstars/characters, make the game more personal and increase interest from those who fully understand the game and those who are still learning about the game.  

The broadcast format of the past is a big part of the current demographic problem that baseball is looking at.

Change it. 

• Sconnie, Dman and MN_ExPat like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#2 MN_ExPat

MN_ExPat

I had fun once... It was awful.

• 520 posts
  • LocationSouth Georgia (the state, not the country)

Posted 07 March 2020 - 09:50 AM

In a limited form, I totally agree this is a pretty cool thing. Of course, guys like Freeman make it even better (my son was telling me about it after, and he was laughing his hind end off).
  • Riverbrian and SF Twins Fan like this

#3 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,712 posts

Posted 07 March 2020 - 10:17 AM

In a limited form, I totally agree this is a pretty cool thing. Of course, guys like Freeman make it even better (my son was telling me about it after, and he was laughing his hind end off).

With his fun personality, more public exposure of his personality will lead to more commercials, bigger commercials, from local to national, appearances on late night talk shows and who knows what else. 

The game will produce heroes and villains according to each personalty revealed. 

In the future, someone from the sport of baseball might crack the list of most famous athlete.:) 

Founded 4-23-16 

#4 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,206 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 07 March 2020 - 10:43 AM

Eh. I think it's great in Spring Training. Not sure we need mics on every player during every MLB game just yet, though. They could do it like the NFL, mic up a few guys here and there.

I think Freeman's antics would look a lot different if this wasn't an exhibition game, so keep that in mind also.

While this particular gimmick is cool, I think we have to be careful about gearing this game towards teen audiences. That'll mean suffering for many adults who love the game. They're already blasting dubstep at Target Field between pitches - anyone over 30 want more of that?

The NBA shifted in the 1990's to aiming towards 14 year-olds as their target audience. It's basically unwatchable for anyone over 21 years old at this point. Be careful what you wish for.

• SF Twins Fan and ewen21 like this

#5 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 25,740 posts

Posted 07 March 2020 - 10:58 AM

Didn't they mic up players during a game, or part of a game, last season? What am I remembering?

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

#6 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 2,675 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 07 March 2020 - 11:12 AM

I think we have to be careful about gearing this game towards teen audiences. That'll mean suffering for many adults who love the game. They're already blasting dubstep at Target Field between pitches - anyone over 30 want more of that?

When I go to games I actually pay attention to the game and for that reason I used to be able to ignore the between-pitch blasts. That changed last summer when my friend who was in attendance with me commented on how loud the music was and that it was during every break between pitches. In a way that was unfortunate because now I can't bleeping stand it. My friend also asked this: if the Twins had an epilepsy-awareness night at Target Field would they still blast the music this way?

• Craig Arko and bighat like this

#7 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,206 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 07 March 2020 - 11:12 AM

Didn't they mic up players during a game, or part of a game, last season? What am I remembering?

I think they mic up the managers in the playoffs - at least in some games? Or maybe it's the 1st and 3rd base coaches?

#8 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,206 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 07 March 2020 - 11:17 AM

When I go to games I actually pay attention to the game and for that reason I used to be able to ignore the between-pitch blasts. That changed last summer when my friend who was in attendance with me commented on how loud the music was and that it was during every break between pitches. In a way that was unfortunate because now I can't bleeping stand it.

I can't stand it either.

And I enjoy music - including dubstep (!!!), rock, rap, electronic, pop, etc. The stuff the Twins were playing last year, however, was straight out of some 15 year-old's YouTube playlist and it was just awful.

I really hope someone in the Twins front office or game-day entertainment staff makes some changes this year in regards to that music. Fans don't like it, I don't think players do either.

The NBA lost me when they started blasting music during live play. The MLB seems to be leaning that way.

• Nine of twelve likes this

#9 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 25,740 posts

Posted 07 March 2020 - 11:18 AM

I get both sides. And maybe if they did this once in a while ... and not during every game ... it would be a fun experiment. But I do think we need to caution ... is this really getting the foot in the door toward a particular demographic to love the game? Or are we appealing to a demographic to love the schtick? Will the love of the game then follow the love of the schtick? What is the best way to make baseball appealing? Heck, I can't even get my friends to go to a game with me.

• scottz and bighat like this
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

#10 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,206 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 07 March 2020 - 11:37 AM

I get both sides. And maybe if they did this once in a while ... and not during every game ... it would be a fun experiment. But I do think we need to caution ... is this really getting the foot in the door toward a particular demographic to love the game? Or are we appealing to a demographic to love the schtick? Will the love of the game then follow the love of the schtick? What is the best way to make baseball appealing? Heck, I can't even get my friends to go to a game with me.

Look at the success stories: Wrigley Field and Fenway Park.

Like our resident rodent, I lived in Chicago for many many many years. Wrigley Park is very, very busy and often sold out. Why? They don't play dubstep! In fact, they still use the old school organ! No frills! Fenway's the same (I think) in regards to the bells & whistles or lackthereof.

People LOVE the old fashioned scoreboard. The organ music. In fact, they were up in arms when the stadium got modernized and added the videoboard a few years back. My theory is that many people like the old-fashioned pastoral feel of the game. In an ever-changing world of technology and larger and larger crowds, it's nice to step back and take a BREAK from the noise. I think Wrigley offers that in some respect.

#11 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 25,740 posts

Posted 07 March 2020 - 11:40 AM

Look at the success stories: Wrigley Field and Fenway Park.

Like our resident rodent, I lived in Chicago for many many many years. Wrigley Park is very, very busy and often sold out. Why? They don't play dubstep! In fact, they still use the old school organ! No frills! Fenway's the same (I think) in regards to the bells & whistles or lackthereof.

People LOVE the old fashioned scoreboard. The organ music. In fact, they were up in arms when the stadium got modernized and added the videoboard a few years back. My theory is that many people like the old-fashioned pastoral feel of the game. In an ever-changing world of technology and larger and larger crowds, it's nice to step back and take a BREAK from the noise. I think Wrigley offers that in some respect.

Have to say, though ... most fans do love the changes now at Wrigley. And a lot of parks do still use live organ music ... they just mix it in. Live organ is still used on the south side at <What ever the name will be this year> Sox park. A real live organist plays at Target Field, too.

• bighat likes this

#12 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,712 posts

Posted 07 March 2020 - 01:24 PM

Love of the Schtick or Love of the game? Does it matter?

Any concern over why they watch is an unnecessary filter to a product that can't afford filtering in the first place. It elitist to say, you must enjoy baseball how I enjoy baseball. Only people who like the sacrifice bunt can watch this game?

The demo's have grayed significantly, From 52 to 57 in a ten year period, we are going to Dick Bremer this sport into the grave with us. 

Will Mic'd up players drive away the existing audience? If it does... the game is more fragile than you and I could ever imagine. 

Introducing the personality of Freddie Freeman or Mitch Garver or whoever to the world establishes bonds between the product and the consumer. 

For example... There are lots of people who watch American Idol. American Idol producers could just roll through the singers one by one, song by song and you'll never know anyone on a personal level. But, they don't, they tell the stories of the performers and reveal the personality of the performers and it produces passion, interest in the performance and the viewers are more engaged in the outcome.

My wife will do about a verse of the performance and sometimes fast forward through the rest but she doesn't fast forward through the produced bios or the "who are you", "where are you from" and "why are you here" questions from the judges. She sincerely roots for that guy "who is singing in front of a national audience because he wants to show his 4 year old daughter that she can accomplish anything".  

Schtick? It doesn't matter. The audience size has grown and that does matter.

Personality is marketable, perhaps the most powerful marketing tool on earth.

We don't want to utilize it because?:)

• DocBauer likes this

Founded 4-23-16 

#13 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 25,740 posts

Posted 07 March 2020 - 01:57 PM

Love of the Schtick or Love of the game? Does it matter?

Any concern over why they watch is an unnecessary filter to a product that can't afford filtering in the first place. It elitist to say, you must enjoy baseball how I enjoy baseball. Only people who like the sacrifice bunt can watch this game?

The demo's have grayed significantly, From 52 to 57 in a ten year period, we are going to Dick Bremer this sport into the grave with us. 

Will Mic'd up players drive away the existing audience? If it does... the game is more fragile than you and I could ever imagine. 

Introducing the personality of Freddie Freeman or Mitch Garver or whoever to the world establishes bonds between the product and the consumer. 

For example... There are lots of people who watch American Idol. American Idol producers could just roll through the singers one by one, song by song and you'll never know anyone on a personal level. But, they don't, they tell the stories of the performers and reveal the personality of the performers and it produces passion, interest in the performance and the viewers are more engaged in the outcome.

My wife will do about a verse of the performance and sometimes fast forward through the rest but she doesn't fast forward through the produced bios or the "who are you", "where are you from" and "why are you here" questions from the judges. She sincerely roots for that guy "who is singing in front of a national audience because he wants to show his 4 year old daughter that she can accomplish anything".  

Schtick? It doesn't matter. The audience size has grown and that does matter.

Personality is marketable, perhaps the most powerful marketing tool on earth.

We don't want to utilize it because?:)

Yes, it does matter. And I’m not suggesting that anyone needs to love the game as I love it, so please refrain from labeling people elitist and dismiss what is being said because some may have a counter thought. It’s rude. My point is ... we are teaching people to expect to be entertained instead of teaching them about baseball. I also said that I think it’s something to try, but I also don’t think we need to mic up every game.
  • DocBauer and bighat like this

#14 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,712 posts

Posted 07 March 2020 - 02:39 PM

Yes, it does matter. And I’m not suggesting that anyone needs to love the game as I love it, so please refrain from labeling people elitist and dismiss what is being said because some may have a counter thought. It’s rude. My point is ... we are teaching people to expect to be entertained instead of teaching them about baseball. I also said that I think it’s something to try, but I also don’t think we need to mic up every game.

After 22,630 posts 

I have nothing new to add 

I'm out of contributions

• James likes this

Founded 4-23-16 

#15 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,206 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 07 March 2020 - 02:39 PM

RB, you're a great mod for this forum. But I have to disagree with your take here. You'd sacrifice baseball's core foundation just to get more viewers? You approve of dumbing-down baseball just so that more people watch? Making it "more like American Idol"? Yikes!

You know what else would make more people tune in? If every team had an app, and fans could vote "fastball" or "curveball" and the pitcher would have to throw that pitch. There'd be tons of "engaged fans" on the tweeterbox. And I bet teens would vote like crazy and there would be a record-breaking audience!

Do we want that? No! I personally don't want baseball to become more like American Idol and I'd fight against it tooth and nail.

When does the season start again? These hypothetical discussions are getting old! Let's play ball!

#16 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 25,740 posts

Posted 07 March 2020 - 02:52 PM

As I said above ... I can see both sides. And I can. I work in an industry that is audience-driven and have been part of the discussion ... what can we do to bring in more people? ... for decades now. You have to try new things. You have to make the old seem new again. You have to equate it to each new generation, and you do that as many different ways as you can as you have generations. As I said, I think we should try the mic thing on a few games ... but certainly not all, and I hope it doesn't become 'standard', but it is something to try. What I don't want to see is baseball become 'schtick driven.' I agree that there is an aspect of 'dumbing down' ... and I've seen it in my own industry ... where we work hard to visually stimulate and entertain the audience, so that is what they focus on, and not the music, but the visual stimulation. There are programs that have failed, tremendously, because of too much of one, and not the other. But you try things ... you listen to both the audience and the performers. You try to find the right balance to try and promote what is at the core. But I do think baseball can and should promote the different personalities ... and surely there must be a way to accomplish this that doesn't mean the on-field action is compromised ... and that does NOT mean I think everyone should love and watch the game just as I do. But I still want to watch a game. I don't think we need something happening every minute of the game. But promote the personalities and the stars ... do it up far and wide ... and maybe people will come to watch those players do what they do best, play ball. But yeah, every once in a while, a good promotion and something novel to try, is a must as well.

• DocBauer and bighat like this

#17 Sconnie

Sconnie

Wooo!

• 5,857 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 08 March 2020 - 01:25 PM

I really enjoyed the Freeman mic’d up bit. I’d like to see more of that. Similarly, I like it when the hitters walk up to the headset at the end of the dugout.

I think it’s possible to phase this type of thing in to regular season play, maybe one player on the Sunday day games...

You’d have to be really careful about integrity rules and such. The broadcast booth has a perspective on the game and binoculars to see the catchers calls. I’m sure there wouldn’t be intentional cheating, but joking around like that can get carried away quickly.

Overall though, very enjoyable.

#18 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,528 posts

Posted 08 March 2020 - 03:32 PM

Freeman is a pretty awesome guy in general. When he's mic'd up around his kid and his wife, the conversations are awesome as well. There's also a reason he's known for his hugs.

Plus, there's this GIF

tenor.gif

Purveyor of videobaseballscout.com to cover all kinds of baseball!!

#19 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 25,740 posts

Posted 08 March 2020 - 03:41 PM

How many players have that kind of personality that would lend itself well to this? Who on the Twins? I'd be interested to see who would volunteer. (I would have said Esco, hands down, if he were still here ... but I don't think there is anyone on the team right now that has that kind of personality.)

Sconnie ... I think once/week is too many ... maybe if MLB targeted a game once a week, each week involving different teams, that would be okay. But I most of the games on television, being not nearby the TC, I wouldn't want to watch that every week. And would that really draw in the teenaged/young crowd? They probably wouldn't watch it unless they were already following the player who was scheduled to do it. 

• bighat likes this

#20 Sconnie

Sconnie

Wooo!

• 5,857 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 08 March 2020 - 04:14 PM

How many players have that kind of personality that would lend itself well to this? Who on the Twins? I'd be interested to see who would volunteer. (I would have said Esco, hands down, if he were still here ... but I don't think there is anyone on the team right now that has that kind of personality.)

Sconnie ... I think once/week is too many ... maybe if MLB targeted a game once a week, each week involving different teams, that would be okay. But I most of the games on television, being not nearby the TC, I wouldn't want to watch that every week. And would that really draw in the teenaged/young crowd? They probably wouldn't watch it unless they were already following the player who was scheduled to do it.

I don’t know if I subscribe to the “drawing the young crowd” narrative.... but more interesting makes a better case for more viewers than less interesting.

Maybe it’s a player from the home team.... or the National game of the week.

I want to hear Eddie Rosario mic’d. I think he’d be a hoot
  • James and bighat like this