Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Coronavirus

• Please log in to reply
643 replies to this topic

#641 Sconnie

Sconnie

Wooo!

• 6,098 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 29 June 2020 - 07:40 AM

Congrats you are one of the few in the media that don't say headlines without context (good or bad) and put in the time not to slant stuff the way believe it should be, but overall the media does a terrible job.

Look at the graph above this post, what does it mean other than to scare people into wearing masks? (people should wear masks, but not by scare tactics).
Why is California colored green on that map, their numbers aren't going down, they are going up?
direct quote from the LA Times on Saturday

"The state has seen a surge in COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations in recent weeks that officials attribute to a variety of factors including people increasingly leaving home; holding social gatherings; failing to wear face coverings; outbreaks in nursing homes, prisons, newly opened workplaces and overcrowded homes; and recent political protests."

One could put a map or graph up showing the debt being accrued by states with tighter lock downs compared to the debt by states with looser regulations. But again it doesn't mean a darn thing without context.

And as a media person you should be calling out other media folks that are doing a terrible job, because they are making all of the others in that media, look like really bad.
It is really no wonder why the country is at everybody throats, the media (and politicians) is pitting people against each other, white/black, male/female, LGBQ/Straight, mask wears/non-mask wearers, there is no attempt to say point out ALL the common ground in people they only point out the differences.
(Just remember is was OK and encouraged to protest the last few weeks, but it wasn't/isn't OK to protest for the states to re-open)

Mod note, let’s keep to topic. Covid media coverage is fine, but please don’t expand beyond Covid.

Maybe we need to define “Media” vs. “News”. Ben works in News. News needs to be vetted, frequently News is behind a paywall.

I quoted above Dr Bob who’s Media, not all media is vetted. Frequently media is not behind a paywall. I quoted Dr Bob because he’s an expert. He was referred to me by News, and seems like a trustworthy source to me. Everyone should view the lens however. He’s the head of UCSF medical dept. and trying to get everyone to wear masks.

If you look at the legend of the info graphic, it describes the rule being mapped for mask wearers. The 25% drop being indicated is sum across all of the states with the same color code that indicates the mask rule. Inside of the states, some are up and some are down.

Same with the brown ones. Some are up and some are down.

Here’s the original story BTW.

https://www.inquirer...impression=true
  • ashbury likes this

#642 Tomj14

Tomj14

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,157 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 08:19 AM

Mod note, let’s keep to topic. Covid media coverage is fine, but please don’t expand beyond Covid.

Maybe we need to define “Media” vs. “News”. Ben works in News. News needs to be vetted, frequently News is behind a paywall.

I quoted above Dr Bob who’s Media, not all media is vetted. Frequently media is not behind a paywall. I quoted Dr Bob because he’s an expert. He was referred to me by News, and seems like a trustworthy source to me. Everyone should view the lens however. He’s the head of UCSF medical dept. and trying to get everyone to wear masks.

If you look at the legend of the info graphic, it describes the rule being mapped for mask wearers. The 25% drop being indicated is sum across all of the states with the same color code that indicates the mask rule. Inside of the states, some are up and some are down.

Same with the brown ones. Some are up and some are down.

Here’s the original story BTW.

https://www.inquirer...impression=true

Cleaned up my prior post to only include Covid.

As for the graphic you posted, you don't think the highlighting of the numbers was misleading at best?

I am not saying masks are bad or they shouldn't be wore, what I am saying is that graph is horribly misleading and set up for a reason to scare people. Again all numbers should be posted with some context?

First line from article "Coronavirus cases seem to be rising in states with relaxed policies on wearing masks"

Seem is the key word, because when you dig into the numbers and places, the mask policy seems to only be part of the issue, I am not saying it can't possibly hurt to wear them but it does seem others things seem to be a play as well.

It also seems that the states that were hit hard in the nursing homes earlier have seen things go down and some of the states that weren't hit as hard earlier are being hit hard in the nursing home now(Texas for example is getting destroyed in nursing home and assisted living type places) it would be nice for somebody to dig deeper into this (the news not you :) )

• Sconnie likes this

#643 Sconnie

Sconnie

Wooo!

• 6,098 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 29 June 2020 - 10:28 AM

Cleaned up my prior post to only include Covid.

As for the graphic you posted, you don't think the highlighting of the numbers was misleading at best?

I am not saying masks are bad or they shouldn't be wore, what I am saying is that graph is horribly misleading and set up for a reason to scare people. Again all numbers should be posted with some context?

First line from article "Coronavirus cases seem to be rising in states with relaxed policies on wearing masks"

Seem is the key word, because when you dig into the numbers and places, the mask policy seems to only be part of the issue, I am not saying it can't possibly hurt to wear them but it does seem others things seem to be a play as well.

It also seems that the states that were hit hard in the nursing homes earlier have seen things go down and some of the states that weren't hit as hard earlier are being hit hard in the nursing home now(Texas for example is getting destroyed in nursing home and assisted living type places) it would be nice for somebody to dig deeper into this (the news not you :) )

absolutely - we should all be critical consumers of information, and agreed 1000% that masks are only part of the equation. It's so difficult to see the big picture with such disaggregated and disjointed state by state, county by county, and city by city rules and impacts, compared to broad brush analysis.

• Tomj14 likes this

#644 a-wan

a-wan

• 206 posts

Posted 04 July 2020 - 01:06 AM

It is pretty damn simple. A cloth mask that actually covers your nose and mask limits respiratory droplets. Less droplets, less virus particles.

• SQUIRREL and PseudoSABR like this