Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Morosi: Boras in mid-season form

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#31 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,906 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:51 PM

I'm pretty sure that Ryan has been on record in the past stating that they can't/won't carry budget savings forward.

I'm pretty sure he has said that as well. The point of my post was to question whether -- in baseball (or other sports) -- that is the wisest course of action.

I'm not talking about back-loading contracts or mortgaging the future to make more acquisitions now. I'm talking about taking the savings you should be able to generate when you are bringing in a young core of players and putting that money aside for the future -- either to retain them or to sign additional talent to go with them.

What is so magical -- OR so fiscally sound -- about spending up to your "allocated payroll ceiling" now. Or is it just that they want to distribute it all as profits?

Baseball is a business but ownership of baseball teams SHOULD have another goal besides making a profit -- that should be to win a championship. And maybe that requires being a little more creative with your financing than just saying we're going to allocate 52% of expected revenues to payroll.