Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Wheres Byron Buxton ?

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#21 prouster

prouster

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 696 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 12:15 PM

Diesel said

"Sano had his breakout season last year. 34 home runs with a .923 OPS is nothing to sneeze at. And that was with a very slow start."

On a team that hit 307 home runs for some unknown reason. I would just like to see him be available for an entire season one time. .247 average nothing great and he drove himself in 34 times so 79 rbi nothing to rave about.

Unbelievable.
  • Thrylos, James, Rigby and 6 others like this

#22 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• 4,611 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 05 March 2020 - 12:39 PM

Twins are in fantastic position regarding outfield depth. Cave and Wade both are capable CF's, and young. If a corner guy goes down, they could bring up three different high-level prospects, Kirilloff, Larnach, and Rooker. All three look like legit power hitters. And if Buxton goes down long-term, you could do a lot worse than to call up Rolls Royce or even Celestino (needs to add muscle) to roam the big middle. 

• SF Twins Fan likes this
The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

#23 dex8425

dex8425

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 235 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 12:46 PM

Buxton is taking soft toss and doing tee work in the batting cage. Haven't seen or heard that he's taking BP or live BP yet. He's full-go on defense already.He should be ready to go by opening day I'd guess, which is consistent with what we've heard all spring. They seem to be taking it slow and methodical with him, as they did with Polanco and Gonzalez. He won't go until they're all sure he's 100% healthy. 

• SQUIRREL, DocBauer, SF Twins Fan and 1 other like this

#24 lukeduke1980

lukeduke1980

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 515 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 01:05 PM

It's possible that Falvey finally came across the Austidillo center field highlight reel

• Mike Frasier Law, adjacent, Oldgoat_MN and 1 other like this

#25 Cap'n Piranha

Cap'n Piranha

• 2,377 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 02:16 PM

So if he is injured (again) or under performs they just throw him in at first base anyway for the next 3 years? All I mean is that neither he nor Buxton has proven themselves as dependable established Major League ball players. They have exhibited talent but not dependability or durability.

If he's injured, they put him on the IL until recovered, and plug in Rooker/Kiriloff/Larnach.Easy.

If he underperforms (which seems unlikely for a guy who was a top 20 hitter by wRC+ last year and will be a free agent after his age 30 season--that is, he's in his prime), they can eat some of the money by trading him, and plug in Rooker/Kiriloff/Larnach.Easy.

• SF Twins Fan likes this

#26 Cap'n Piranha

Cap'n Piranha

• 2,377 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 02:27 PM

Diesel said

"Sano had his breakout season last year. 34 home runs with a .923 OPS is nothing to sneeze at. And that was with a very slow start."

On a team that hit 307 home runs for some unknown reason. I would just like to see him be available for an entire season one time. .247 average nothing great and he drove himself in 34 times so 79 rbi nothing to rave about.

Last year Rosario had 285 PA's with men on, 173 of those with men in scoring position, of his 590 total PA's--48.3% of PA's with men on, 29.3% of PA's with RiSP, and produced 109 RBI

Sano had 178 PA's with men on, 94 of those with men in scoring position, of his 439 total PA's--40.5% of PA's with men on, 21.4% of PA's with RiSP, and produced 79 RBI.

Put it another way, Sano and Rosario produced almost an identical RBI/PA rate, despite Rosario getting a far higher proportion of his PA's with guys on base AND in scoring.

The dismissal of Sano's 2019 production baffles me.It really does.

• big dog, DocBauer, SF Twins Fan and 3 others like this

#27 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 23,370 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 02:51 PM

Most of these comments are absolutely ridiculous. We knew Buxton would potentially miss the start of the year in September. Sano had his breakout season last year. 34 home runs with a .923 OPS is nothing to sneeze at. And that was with a very slow start.

Yeah... Sano bottomed out with a .761 OPS on June 27th as he just looked clueless at the plate.

From June 28th to the end of the season, he posted a .994 OPS.

• Cap'n Piranha, big dog, DocBauer and 2 others like this

#28 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 23,370 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 02:55 PM

Diesel said

Good gravy, man. Sano had 439 PAs last season.

Extrapolate those 439 PAs to 600 PAs - roughly a full season - and he drives in 108 runners, despite stinking up the joint for three weeks (.560 OPS as he swung at everything and just looked hopeless).

What do you want from the guy? You mention 307 homers, well... it's pretty damned hard to drive in a runner if everyone on the team is putting the ball over the fence. And Sano was still on pace for well over 100 RBI in a full season.

• James, Danchat, DocBauer and 2 others like this

#29 MangLitch

MangLitch

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 106 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 04:27 PM

Before I say thing, I obviously understand that Buxton is all world defensively.....

But man this Kirilloff guy sure makes me excited to see the outfield with or without him.... what a bat! 

I want him to slash .550/.600/.880 all spring so that I can really giggle when he starts the year in AA. 

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

#30 akmanak

akmanak

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 531 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 05:55 PM

Why is Sano even being brought up?

Buxton has had one solid year off the injury list and that was 2017. He is a liability and since the Twins have depth in the outfield, it is time to trade him.

There is no reason to believe he is going to turn the corner on his injuries since he is constantly getting injured.

#31 Dave The Dastardly

Dave The Dastardly

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 546 posts
  • LocationOne Foot Over the Line

Posted 05 March 2020 - 06:26 PM

Everything that I've read still suggests he's on track and following the rehab schedule the Twins put him on.I don't see the need for pessimism until he's still not appearing in games two weeks from now.

Pessimism - Minnesota sports fans perpetual state of mind. Synonym - is it cold enough for ya?

• James and SF Twins Fan like this

#32 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Baseball and thought

• 8,794 posts
  • LocationThe ballpark of the mind

Posted 05 March 2020 - 06:30 PM

I recall hearing the same ‘always hurt, will not work out’ refrain about Robert Smith during his early years with the Vikings. I put little value on those, too.

• DocBauer and Nine of twelve like this
"Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars." - Old Serbian proverb

#33 Number3

Number3

Ft Myers Miracle

• 476 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 10:34 AM

What do you want from the guy? You mention 307 homers, well... it's pretty damned hard to drive in a runner if everyone on the team is putting the ball over the fence. And Sano was still on pace for well over 100 RBI in a full season.

(from prior posts)

I may have brought Sano up in the first plave and the reason I did is that Buxton and Sano have been touted in the same breath as key cogs in the Twins' future and both have had streaks of brilliance mixed with injuries and less than great performances. Hard to mention one without the other.

What I want from the guy, and probably could have used other term than "breakout" is simply to be available for a season and show that he is a reliable major league ball player, not just a physical specimen who hits the ball a long way when he hits it. If that is a poor distinction then so be it.

• ewen21 likes this

#34 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,177 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 03:05 PM

What I want from the guy, and probably could have used other term than "breakout" is simply to be available for a season and show that he is a reliable major league ball player, not just a physical specimen who hits the ball a long way when he hits it. If that is a poor distinction then so be it.

I think what you say here is an entirely fair comment.Both Buxton and Sano have had problems staying on the field and in the case of Buxton even more extreme.These two have basically been handed the starting job the last four seasons.Buxton has played in over 100 games a grand total of once.How is that even close to being satisfactory?

You may have been a little harsh, but then I think the reaction to what you said was maybe a little over the top as well.Nothing you said was unfair or controversial in my estimation.

#35 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,177 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 03:14 PM

Buxton has had one solid year off the injury list and that was 2017. He is a liability and since the Twins have depth in the outfield, it is time to trade him.

There is no reason to believe he is going to turn the corner on his injuries since he is constantly getting injured.

He really needs to get his act together.He has been praised effusively here for a very long time already.He is fast.We get it.

The trouble with a guy whose game is predicated on speed is that speed is the first thing to go, and where he isn't a particularly good baserunner, nor does he get on base very often.

I would say whatever chance we had to trade him for something significant has passed.When the Mets asked for him in the Syndergaard trade we should have pulled the trigger.Apparently we view him as if he is a franchise player.This is a guy who in five seasons in the big leagues has had over 300 at bats once.He's had over a .730 OPS once.He has a career OBP of .292 and he has a history of concussions and migraines.  

Not sure how anyone can term what I said as uninformed and unfair.  

• Dakota Diver likes this

#36 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,811 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 04:07 PM

I think it's reasonable that some would be cautious or even pessimistic regarding the likelihood that Buxton is on the verge of being both a very good and a consistently available overall player.

But, it doesn't seem that this spring so far should have moved anyone further in that direction...if that's what the undercurrent is here? Sounds like his progress is exactly according to what the plan was to this point.

One thing that seems clear...at least for 2020, is that he doesn't need to be great for the Twins to be good. But, if he could play 130 - 140 games, bat 9th and get the OBP to, say, .325....he could be the rug that really brings the room together.

• James, DocBauer and SF Twins Fan like this

#37 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• 2,003 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 06 March 2020 - 05:08 PM

I view him as a franchise player until he's not. No way I trade him for overrated Thor or Stroman. And yes, we could trade him for something significant on the first call.

#38 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,719 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 06 March 2020 - 05:48 PM

he could be the rug that really brings the room together.

Kudos.:)

• USAFChief, James, Oldgoat_MN and 2 others like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#39 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 23,370 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 10:13 PM

Baseball history is littered with workhorses who suddenly became injury-prone... and also the inverse.

Buxton's injury history is certainly troublesome but it doesn't mean he will continue to injure himself every season.

Or it might mean he continues to injure himself every season. There isn't a great predictive model for this kind of thing.

• James likes this

#40 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 23,370 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 10:16 PM

I view him as a franchise player until he's not. No way I trade him for overrated Thor or Stroman. And yes, we could trade him for something significant on the first call.

Good Lord, I would trade Buxton for Syndergaard in a heartbeat and I freakin' love Buxton.

I salivate at what Johnson and the Twins development team could do with Syndergaard. Mets pitchers, while good, are generally regarded as being underdeveloped and underutilized.

Which is a big reason why teams were basically in a fistfight to throw money at Wheeler this offseason.

Syndergaard pushes this team into a World Series contender, on par with the Yankees or Dodgers or Astros.

• Thrylos, akmanak, SF Twins Fan and 1 other like this