Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Wheres Byron Buxton ?

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#1 mrtwinsfan

mrtwinsfan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,752 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 11:50 AM

C,mon Mr Baldelli be honest with us , ever gonna see this kid , getting old

• Jerr likes this

#2 zenser

zenser

• 529 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 01:22 PM

I thought he was targeted to start grapefruit league games in mid-March.

https://www.mlbtrade...on-buttrey.html

• jkcarew and KFEY93 like this

#3 Cody Pirkl

Cody Pirkl

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Twins Daily Contributor
  • 225 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 02:05 PM

Labrum surgery is nasty. Twins would look pretty bad if they rushed him back just to see him reaggravate it in Spring Training.

• Nickasaski likes this

#4 spsdrock

spsdrock

• 37 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 02:10 PM

In the game today they said he took live batting practice today.So coming along.A few more weeks and hopefully he will be in his first spring training game.I imagine he might start the year on the DL for a few weeks and stay in extended spring to make sure everything is fine and his timing is back on his swing.

• birdwatcher, woolywoolhouse, tarheeltwinsfan and 2 others like this

#5 theBOMisthebomb

theBOMisthebomb

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 924 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 04:49 PM

Don't rush it and nurse him along until fully healthy. I'd rather see Buxton in October than Buxton in March.
  • Cap'n Piranha, James, Oldgoat_MN and 11 others like this

#6 Number3

Number3

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 503 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 08:29 AM

Don't rush it and nurse him along until fully healthy. I'd rather see Buxton in October than Buxton in March.

Exactly, maybe even June or July is when I want to know where Byron Buxton is. He is one of those players who changes the whole dynamic of a lineup when he is on his game. Both he and Sano need to have breakout seasons this year or Twins brass will have to start making tough decisions about both.

#7 jjswol

jjswol

• 96 posts
  • LocationMinnesota or Florida

Posted 04 March 2020 - 09:04 AM

Odds are that when the 2020 season begins Buxton will be in his normal position, the IL.

• Blackjack, PDX Twin, akmanak and 3 others like this
[FONT=arial black]jjswol
[/FONT]

#8 Cap'n Piranha

Cap'n Piranha

• 2,445 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 09:54 AM

Exactly, maybe even June or July is when I want to know where Byron Buxton is. He is one of those players who changes the whole dynamic of a lineup when he is on his game. Both he and Sano need to have breakout seasons this year or Twins brass will have to start making tough decisions about both.

Pretty sure the Twins just gave Sano a 3 year, $30M contract, with an option year.The next tough decision on Sano isn't until the end of 2022, at the earliest.

• Brock Beauchamp, wagwan, Dantes929 and 5 others like this

#9 Diesel

Diesel

Ft Myers Miracle

• 432 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 10:30 AM

Most of these comments are absolutely ridiculous. We knew Buxton would potentially miss the start of the year in September. Sano had his breakout season last year. 34 home runs with a .923 OPS is nothing to sneeze at. And that was with a very slow start.
  • wagwan, Twins33, Lunger and 6 others like this

#10 BrianBuchanan

BrianBuchanan

Elizabethton Twins

• 21 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 11:46 AM

Odds are that when the 2020 season begins Buxton will be in his normal position, the IL.

Everything that I've read still suggests he's on track and following the rehab schedule the Twins put him on.I don't see the need for pessimism until he's still not appearing in games two weeks from now.

• luckylager, birdwatcher, woolywoolhouse and 2 others like this

#11 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 26,126 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 12:17 PM

Everything that I've read still suggests he's on track and following the rehab schedule the Twins put him on.I don't see the need for pessimism until he's still not appearing in games two weeks from now.

I won't even get pessimistic until it's into late April. I figure he is going to be at extended ST into the first week or so of the season ... but who knows.

• SF Twins Fan and bighat like this
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

#12 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

bomba stick

• 8,740 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 01:38 PM

Concur.

But i am still curious.

#13 akmanak

akmanak

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 545 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 07:25 PM

Come on, the is Buxton we are talking about. He is injury prone and this should come as no surprise.

We needed to trade him when we had the chance and we still need to trade him if he can produce at some point this year before he shatters again.

#14 Blackjack

Blackjack

• 970 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 06:21 AM

Come on, the is Buxton we are talking about. He is injury prone and this should come as no surprise.

We needed to trade him when we had the chance and we still need to trade him if he can produce at some point this year before he shatters again.

Hopefully hes learned that he doesn't need to run thru walls to be a good defender, and learned that he can help the team more by being on the field than the injured list.

• lwarring and DocBauer like this

#15 Number3

Number3

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 503 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 08:50 AM

Pretty sure the Twins just gave Sano a 3 year, $30M contract, with an option year.The next tough decision on Sano isn't until the end of 2022, at the earliest.

So if he is injured (again) or under performs they just throw him in at first base anyway for the next 3 years? All I mean is that neither he nor Buxton has proven themselves as dependable established Major League ball players. They have exhibited talent but not dependability or durability.

#16 Number3

Number3

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 503 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 09:00 AM

Diesel said

"Sano had his breakout season last year. 34 home runs with a .923 OPS is nothing to sneeze at. And that was with a very slow start."

On a team that hit 307 home runs for some unknown reason. I would just like to see him be available for an entire season one time. .247 average nothing great and he drove himself in 34 times so 79 rbi nothing to rave about.

#17 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 8,240 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 09:27 AM

So if he is injured (again) or under performs they just throw him in at first base anyway for the next 3 years? All I mean is that neither he nor Buxton has proven themselves as dependable established Major League ball players. They have exhibited talent but not dependability or durability.

Yes, that's pretty much what a $30M contract guarantees.
Obviously if he's injured, he'll be in the IL and not playing, but that's not really a "tough decision".
  • Cap'n Piranha and SF Twins Fan like this

#18 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 26,126 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 09:32 AM

Diesel said

"Sano had his breakout season last year. 34 home runs with a .923 OPS is nothing to sneeze at. And that was with a very slow start."

On a team that hit 307 home runs for some unknown reason. I would just like to see him be available for an entire season one time. .247 average nothing great and he drove himself in 34 times so 79 rbi nothing to rave about.

Considering he did that on a partial season, I'd say that was pretty darned good.

• jbissell, PseudoSABR, DocBauer and 2 others like this
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

#19 mrtwinsfan

mrtwinsfan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,752 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 11:51 AM

Started this topic, wanted to hear from others, i am a HUGE Byronfan, and am hoping for a consistent non injury year ,to much Talent ,Not being negative at all, Just a big fan,Go Twins

• jbissell likes this

#20 TheBoofIsLoose

TheBoofIsLoose

Elizabethton Twins

• 33 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 12:12 PM

Diesel said

How is it Sano's fault if he has fewer people on base when he's up compared to his teammates? RBI is an opportunity stat. Besides 79 RBI for a #5-7 hitter is more than respectable. 

• James and SF Twins Fan like this