Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Ranking Minnesota’s Roster Depth By Position Group

byron buxton miguel sano ehire adrianza nelson cruz josh donaldson
  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

not so negative

• 9,978 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 01:34 PM

A nice read and all, but i am still trying to wrap my mind around how evaluate depth...

It feels like the ordering here is more dependent on the position in general than our team. Of course pitching is deeper, as the roles are less sppecifically defined than positions. And up the middle positions are shallower because more demanding.
So kudos to Twins for apparently bucking that trend at catcher?

Anyway, i am glad we are deep.

And i look forward to our continued positional flexibility.
  • MN_ExPat likes this

#22 Sconnie

Sconnie

Wooo!

• 6,136 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 04 March 2020 - 01:40 PM

When ranking depth, players in the minors that are close should also be considered more than you did in this piece IMHO. You included Jeffers and several for DH but I see several that could be added at other positions.

EDIT: And then I missed Blankenhorn as depth at 2nd/Corner OF as well....

Blankenhorn has played quite a bit of 3B and a few games at SS too. He seems to be not far from an actual look as a utility player this September.
  • MN_ExPat likes this

#23 goulik

goulik

Kernel of truth

• 1,960 posts
  • LocationElko

Posted 04 March 2020 - 02:37 PM

Blankenhorn has played quite a bit of 3B and a few games at SS too. He seems to be not far from an actual look as a utility player this September.

I did not mention 3B and SS based on his light usage at those positions in 2019. He only had 18 innings at 3rd and did not appear at SS last season

• Sconnie and MN_ExPat like this

#24 Sconnie

Sconnie

Wooo!

• 6,136 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 04 March 2020 - 03:39 PM

I did not mention 3B and SS based on his light usage at those positions in 2019. He only had 18 innings at 3rd and did not appear at SS last season

fair enough, his time at 2b last year may have been out of necessity. Arraez really came out of nowhere last year. Let’s see how he gets positioned this year.
  • goulik and MN_ExPat like this

#25 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

not so negative

• 9,978 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 03:04 PM

Yes.

Begs the question, though, if we are seeing the mild mannered side of RB on TD...

#26 Twodogs

Twodogs

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,308 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 06:54 PM

All looks good except I'm not sure how Wade goes ahead of Marwin in right and left. If there is an injury to our left fielder I'd bet big money that Gonzo is in there most days, not Wade. JMO

You cannot succeed without hate for your enemy

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: byron buxton, miguel sano, ehire adrianza, nelson cruz, josh donaldson