Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Do the Twins Have Enough Rotation Depth?

homer bailey kenta maeda jake odorizzi michael pineda rich hill
  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,760 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 02 March 2020 - 07:30 PM

Is there an effective way the Twins could avoid that same outcome this year?

Injuries are not the concern. Injuries happen every year (every month) to every team.  

Injuries will not bring a team down. Just look at the Yankees last year. Just look at the Twins last year. 

Poor play is what brings a team down.

Allowing players to play like Logan Morrison and allowing that poor play to play every day is what brings a team down. 

When it comes to the rotation... Allowing Bailey or Chacin to pitch like Martin Perez pitched last year while keeping their rotation spot is what will kill the team. Bad play kills the team... not injuries. 

The Twins have starting depth... if they use it. Let the depth compete for starts. Let the best man win. It's that simple. 

• DocBauer likes this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#22 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 6,394 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 10:39 PM

Do they have enough depth?

Absolutely!

I don't even think it's debatable when you look at the past 5-10 years plus. It's almost a perfect blend of proven talent vs potential. Young veterans and older veterans and prospects. It wouldn't be hard to argue the Twins have better depth than most teams. Are there questions? Absolutely. But questions abound for virtually every team.

I am NOT debating the Twins having a Verlander heading the rotation. And that's not what the OP is about. They have a pair of young and young-ish SP all stars, a couple of really nice veterans behind them, a couple of very interesting fliers, a potential half season stud flier in the wings, and a few interesting prospects ready to make a mark, after showing some real potential in 2019.

Forgive me, but there is POTENTIALLY, a logjam come July. Berrios, Oddo, Maeda, Pineda, Bailey, Thorpe, Dobnak, (not even any sort of bounce back by Chacin), and then Hill is ready to go for a half season.

Is it guaranteed to work out this way? Nope. Could it? Yes. But We're a long way from that point. But the depth of options is absolutely there to begin the season.
  • Riverbrian likes this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#23 VivaBomboRivera!

VivaBomboRivera!

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 150 posts
  • Locationwest of Jingu, east of Koshien

Posted 03 March 2020 - 03:45 AM

Too much of anything isn't good for you, except pitching, and then too much is barely enough!
- W.C. Fields

Apologies, of course that was Mark Twain. It was Fields who said, "Always carry thirteen pitchers on your roster in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
  • Riverbrian, 70charger, Sconnie and 1 other like this

#24 HrbieFan

HrbieFan

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 123 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 07:44 AM

Worst case, we have 4 #3 SP and a handful of #4/5 type SPs. Best case, we see Maeda dominate in the AL, Berrios take that next step, Odo continues his rise towards his walk year, Pineda from last summer returns, Wes Johnson helps Bailey improve on his second half numbers, Hill is healthy for the final 3 months and a rookie or 2 dominates during their opportunities. We can seen aces evolve and come out of nowhere. I have faith in these arms, Wes Johnson and our depth.
  • DocBauer likes this

#25 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• 2,021 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 03 March 2020 - 08:41 AM

From your mouth to his ears.

#26 Cap'n Piranha

Cap'n Piranha

• 2,412 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 11:34 AM

"Quantity has a quality all its own"

-Napoleon Bonaparte

• Riverbrian and DocBauer like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: homer bailey, kenta maeda, jake odorizzi, michael pineda, rich hill