Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Trade Target: Justin Verlander

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Lasorda_This_Out

Lasorda_This_Out

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 71 posts

Posted 29 February 2020 - 02:18 AM

Per Spotrac:

Justin Verlander signed a 2 year / $66,000,000 contract with the Houston Astros, including $66,000,000 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $33,000,000. In 2020, Verlander will earn a base salary of $33,000,000, while carrying a total salary of $33,000,000.

How many pitches will Justin be asked to ping opposing batters after Houston players are targeted for retaliation for the sign stealing scandal? How many ejections in 2020?

Houston is in complete disarray....no Man's Land entering 2020...

FalVine: "Lewis or Kiriloff for Verlander, straight up?"

Comments?

#2 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• 2,001 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 29 February 2020 - 04:27 AM

Our benevolent owner won't stroke the pen for 33M in 2020. If the Astros foot bill in 2020, I'd offer board favorites The Turtle, Trevor May, and Romero. That's 2 starting pitchers right?
  • David HK likes this

#3 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 9,436 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 29 February 2020 - 07:08 AM

This topic will be moved to Other Baseball. While it does refer to the possibility of the Twins acquiring the player. The bulk of the OP is the size of the contract and the status of the team issuing the contract.

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

#4 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

Ft Myers Miracle

• 274 posts
  • LocationBelo Horizonte, Brazil

Posted 29 February 2020 - 08:20 AM

I`m sorry, I don`t see that happening. Giving up that much (although we can spare Kirloff, I really like him) & then having to pay his salary. I rather find a potentially Verlander level pitcher & develop him.

#5 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 8,229 posts

Posted 29 February 2020 - 12:55 PM

Verlander is already being paid full market salary.
You don't trade good prospects for guys you also have to pay full price, unless Houston is picking up a bunch of salary.
  • dgwills likes this

#6 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,807 posts

Posted 29 February 2020 - 02:14 PM

Houston is in complete disarray....no Man's Land entering 2020...

In such disarray that Vegas still gives them shorter odds than the Twins to win the AL pennant.

Maybe you meant SHOULD be in 'complete disarray'....which most (or at least many) here would agree with.

Will there be distractions? Yes. But, Altuve, Correa, Springer...these are guys that were 5-8 WAR guys in 2016. Newer guys like Bregman and Alvarez are legit whether we like it or not. Meanwhile, getting awarded a ton of free based on HBP (as many here predict) won't exactly make them worse. (Although, losing Cole will leave a mark.) I can 100% guarantee that Verlander fully expects to compete for pennants over these remaining years in Houston.
  • USAFChief and adorduan like this

#7 spycake

spycake

• 17,693 posts

Posted 01 March 2020 - 04:01 PM

I updated the thread title, so it no longer suggests that Verlander just signed this contract. (He signed it in March 2019.)

Also worth noting he still has full no-trade protection, and was fairly particular about waiving that even when he was on a sinking ship in Detroit. I'm pretty sure bad press / controversy alone won't make him want to leave Houston.

• Sconnie likes this