Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

YouTube TV Drops Fox Sports Regional Networks

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#61 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 23,364 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 11:57 PM

to that end, why doesn’t the NFL or MLB or any of the major sports including MMA just self distribute and keep ALL of the revenue?

MLB, decades ago, decided to let individual teams negotiate television rights because they didn't think it really mattered (MLB is really the only organized sport to really suffer from this technological change).

In the 50s, TV was nothing. There was no money there... fast forward 70 years, that has... changed.

But MLB put those rules in place and the teams that benefit the most are loathe to relinquish control.

So here we are.

The upside is that all internet revenue is evenly distributed to all teams, much as TV revenue is distributed evenly through other sports leagues. In time, as streaming takes a stronger hold of the market, baseball's 60-70 year old bad decisions will begin to wane in importance.

• Riverbrian and Sconnie like this

#62 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,528 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 09:55 AM

MLB, decades ago, decided to let individual teams negotiate television rights because they didn't think it really mattered (MLB is really the only organized sport to really suffer from this technological change).

In the 50s, TV was nothing. There was no money there... fast forward 70 years, that has... changed.

But MLB put those rules in place and the teams that benefit the most are loathe to relinquish control.

So here we are.

The upside is that all internet revenue is evenly distributed to all teams, much as TV revenue is distributed evenly through other sports leagues. In time, as streaming takes a stronger hold of the market, baseball's 60-70 year old bad decisions will begin to wane in importance.

The history of this is pretty fascinating. I've started doing some research into it, and there really weren't any worries about local television broadcasts (as long as they got MLB permission) until you saw WGN and TBS part of national cable television packages in the 1970s and 1980s as the service exploded across the country (Steinbrenner using the NY market to see YES generate the Yankees money hand over fist didn't seem to upset owners as it was seen still a regional network). I'm having trouble finding exactly when the first changes were made, but MLB owners voted to allow each team to negotiate their own local television deal in the midst of the CBA that ran from 1985-1989 in the midst of the heart of owner collusion as the 1990 CBA makes mention to the national television deal and local television deals being used in determining player shares of revenue. The 1997 CBA brought in the first revenue sharing, and the 2007 CBA centralized revenue sharing, both leaving local television deals to teams.

As you mentioned, the internet revenue being split is a big thing as MLBAM is one of the most advanced groups out there in developing new broadcast technology for covering sports. However, the RSNs becoming a situation handled purely in New York with revenues split evenly would allow for incredible revenue advantages for nearly every single club as even the clubs with huge deals would have better coverage of their team without needing to spend the time/money to negotiate on their own.

• Brock Beauchamp, Riverbrian and Sconnie like this

Purveyor of videobaseballscout.com to cover all kinds of baseball!!

#63 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 25,740 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 10:00 AM

Since this has become a larger topic, and not just ‘how can I watch Twins games’, I’ve moved this to the Other Baseball Talk forum.
  • nicksaviking and biggentleben like this
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

#64 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,528 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 11:58 AM

To take my own post one step further, if you really wanted to pay minor league players better, take the skill of MLBAM and apply it to the burgeoning demand of MiLB broadcasts, which are currently done by MiLB after MLB refused to partner MLBAM with MiLB. You utilize the combined revenue generated from subscriptions and advertising on the system in a spread manner that is earmarked only for use on minor league expenditures.

Someone just send in my nomination to replace Manfred, please. I don't want to seem arrogant in nominating myself! :lol:

#65 spycake

spycake

• 17,693 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 08:33 AM

Update this morning -- can any YouTube TV subscribers in Twins Territory confirm if Fox Sports North is still available for them in the YouTube TV app?

#66 BrianBuchanan

BrianBuchanan

Elizabethton Twins

• 20 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 08:57 AM

Update this morning -- can any YouTube TV subscribers in Twins Territory confirm if Fox Sports North is still available for them in the YouTube TV app?

Yes, FSN is here to stay. Full list here: https://thestreamable.com/news/these-are-the-fox-sports-regional-sports-networks-dropped-by-youtube-tv

• Sconnie likes this

#67 spycake

spycake

• 17,693 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 09:03 AM

Yes, FSN is here to stay. Full list here: https://thestreamabl...d-by-youtube-tv

Thanks for sharing!

Looks like the only RSNs dropped were YES Network (Yankees) and Fox Sports West / Prime Ticket (Angels). Sticking it to the big market fans! :)

#68 BrianBuchanan

BrianBuchanan

Elizabethton Twins

• 20 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 09:06 AM

Thanks for sharing!

Looks like the only RSNs dropped were YES Network (Yankees) and Fox Sports West / Prime Ticket (Angels). Sticking it to the big market fans! :)

I might have felt a little schadenfreude about all those poor Yankees fans...

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

#69 mhanson93

mhanson93

• 82 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 08:53 PM

I'm in central Iowa and I no longer see FSN in my YTTV lineup tonight. Apparently not everyone got to keep the smaller RSNs. Grrrr. .

#70 spycake

spycake

• 17,693 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 09:00 PM

I'm in central Iowa and I no longer see FSN in my YTTV lineup tonight. Apparently not everyone got to keep the smaller RSNs. Grrrr. .

Yup, it looks like some may have celebrated too soon -- while YouTube TV has retained most of these Fox RSNs, they are apparently shrinking availability:

A quick check of zip codes suggests that Iowa will no longer get Fox Sports North on YouTube TV (they'll just get the Chicago sports networks), sorry!

#71 spycake

spycake

• 17,693 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 09:08 PM

Best as I can tell, Minnesota, the Dakotas, and parts of western Wisconsin will all continue to receive FSN on YouTube TV.

#72 spycake

spycake

• 17,693 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 09:17 PM

Iowa fans, you can check out Hulu Live TV -- they appear to still offer FSN in Iowa (plus Fox Sports Midwest and Chicago sports stations). $55/month.

You can double-check by clicking the "View all channels in your area" link on this page and entering your zip code:

https://www.hulu.com/live-tv

• mhanson93 and In My La-Z-boy like this

#73 mhanson93

mhanson93

• 82 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 09:42 PM

Iowa fans, you can check out Hulu Live TV -- they appear to still offer FSN in Iowa (plus Fox Sports Midwest and Chicago sports stations). $55/month.

You can double-check by clicking the "View all channels in your area" link on this page and entering your zip code:

https://www.hulu.com/live-tv

Thanks spycake, I am going to give Hulu Live TV a try.Looks like Marquee Sports (Cubs) is on Hulu Live as well.I just cancelled Youtube TV.

#74 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,528 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 12:27 AM

I might have felt a little schadenfreude about all those poor Yankees fans...

Except they're not hurt at all. They weren't in danger in the first place.

#75 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Fort Walton Beach Jets

• 1,284 posts

Posted 07 March 2020 - 08:31 AM

Maybe the coronavirus can "cure" the a@*-backwardsness of viewing MLB games via TV/Livestream ... I hope it isn't necessary, but it's possible that there will be a spell of fanless games in at least some markets. Maybe that will force the league/teams to really revamp how they deliver their product via various media channels.