Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

YouTube TV Drops Fox Sports Regional Networks

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#41 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Offseason Hawt Taek Enthusiast

• 13,860 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 28 February 2020 - 12:49 PM

I’m torn... I’m out of market so I watch Twins games through MLB.tv. Out of principle, I’m ticked that YouTube TV is dropping channels while keeping the price the same. Not that I really watched Fox Sports South... If they’re taking away this channel as a result of rising costs, shouldn’t this cost savings be reflected in our monthly bill?
  • Oldgoat_MN likes this

#42 Musk21

Musk21

• 432 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 01:07 PM

I’m torn... I’m out of market so I watch Twins games through MLB.tv. Out of principle, I’m ticked that YouTube TV is dropping channels while keeping the price the same. Not that I really watched Fox Sports South... If they’re taking away this channel as a result of rising costs, shouldn’t this cost savings be reflected in our monthly bill?

Did your price go up after they added PBS and PBS Kids in December?

They're not going to raise and lower the monthly fee for every change.

#43 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• 13,860 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 28 February 2020 - 01:55 PM

Did your price go up after they added PBS and PBS Kids in December?

They're not going to raise and lower the monthly fee for every change.

Apples and oranges... Live sports vs. channels we can all get with an antenna.

Edit: By the way, they did raise prices to $50 when they added HGTV and Food Network.

#44 Musk21

Musk21

• 432 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 02:04 PM

Apples and oranges... Live sports vs. channels we can all get with an antenna.

Fair enough. Just saying that there are always changes, improvements, etc. to providers/services and monthly fees don't often fluctuate. YouTubeTV also enhanced their DVR and added the 'Key Plays' feature. Netflix isn't lowering their price because they lost Disney or NBC/Universal content.

• Vanimal46 likes this

#45 snotboogie

snotboogie

Ft Myers Miracle

• 464 posts
  • Location3 miles from Twins World Domination Headquarters

Posted 28 February 2020 - 02:28 PM

I've got a partial season ticket package and and get a free MLB.tv subscription as a perk.  I spend a few bucks a month on a vpn and set my vpn server outside of the Twins' blackout area. Voila. (I'll set it to Germany and imagine that MLB thinks the Kepler family is watching.)  A season-long subscription is pretty pricey, but you can watch any game.  Later in the season (after the All-Star Game?) the price drops, if you can wait that long.  

• gagu likes this

"A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man."

#46 gocgo

gocgo

• 1,609 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 02:51 PM

Dang...I just did a Youtube TV free trial and was impressed...maybe not so much now.

Mind your own biscuits and life will be gravy.

#47 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 04:12 PM

Has anyone used AT&T Now? I did a trial run over a year ago when they were branded DirecTV Now and their user interface was awful.

I also used DirecTV Now and it was terrible. From what I've read, little changed with the rebranding.

• beckmt and Vanimal46 like this

#48 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 04:14 PM

They're likely not changing costs because they're in a game of chicken with Sinclair. It would be really frustrating to end users if they dropped the price by five bucks and then raised it again next month when the FSN channels return.

Maybe the channels don't return in a month but I think it's likely this stand-off doesn't last forever.

#49 theBOMisthebomb

theBOMisthebomb

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 977 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 05:54 PM

Seriously? Not that "Twins Territory" is a well defined concept, but I would bet their marketing people would include Iowa. If you go by radio stations, you can get the Twins out of Mason City, Spencer, Iowa Falls, Cedar Rapids, and Des Moines. That's a lot of Iowa. The fan base has also most certainly been on the rise here in eastern Iowa. First because of the Twin's recent awesomeness, but also because the single A Cedar Rapids Kernels, which the Twins took over in 2013 and are a very successful minor league operation. Prior to that there was no Twins radio in most of eastern Iowa. Mason City may well have been the only signal. Most TV packages in Eastern Iowa carry Chicago regional sports networks, but my sense is that Twins fans rival Cubs fans from Iowa City northward.

Well, I was basing it on my experience going to Burlington, Iowa the last 10 years and going to a Burlington Bees game there every summer. I have never seen another Twins fan there, only Cubs, Cardinals, and Angels. People have asked me about being a Twins fan and they seem to treat it like an oddity. Obviously, there will be some Twins fans around Cedar Rapids. I am sure if you are from the area or otherwise connected you probably have better insight than my limited perspective going to Burlington Bees games.

#50 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 06:09 PM

Well, I was basing it on my experience going to Burlington, Iowa the last 10 years and going to a Burlington Bees game there every summer. I have never seen another Twins fan there, only Cubs, Cardinals, and Angels. People have asked me about being a Twins fan and they seem to treat it like an oddity. Obviously, there will be some Twins fans around Cedar Rapids. I am sure if you are from the area or otherwise connected you probably have better insight than my limited perspective going to Burlington Bees games.

To be fair, Burlington is waaayyyy closer to St Louis, Chicago, AND Kansas City than it is Minneapolis. Given that it's in the SE corner of the state, the likelihood of Twins fans living there is a lot lower than it would be to the north.

#51 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• 2,112 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 07:16 PM

Seriously? Not that "Twins Territory" is a well defined concept, but I would bet their marketing people would include Iowa. If you go by radio stations, you can get the Twins out of Mason City, Spencer, Iowa Falls, Cedar Rapids, and Des Moines. That's a lot of Iowa. The fan base has also most certainly been on the rise here in eastern Iowa. First because of the Twin's recent awesomeness, but also because the single A Cedar Rapids Kernels, which the Twins took over in 2013 and are a very successful minor league operation. Prior to that there was no Twins radio in most of eastern Iowa. Mason City may well have been the only signal. Most TV packages in Eastern Iowa carry Chicago regional sports networks, but my sense is that Twins fans rival Cubs fans from Iowa City northward.  

Indeed. Though I live in Indiana, I’m an Iowan and cut my teeth on games on WHO. I was in the southeast quarter of the state. 

#52 Tibs

Tibs

• 1,236 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 29 February 2020 - 08:34 AM

Looks like last night YouTube TV and Sinclair agreed to a temporary extension for the channels

• mhanson93 likes this
I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

#53 spycake

spycake

• 18,401 posts

Posted 29 February 2020 - 09:20 AM

Looks like last night YouTube TV and Sinclair agreed to a temporary extension for the channels

Yup. No timeline yet, though:

#54 Sconnie

Sconnie

Wooo!

• 6,137 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 29 February 2020 - 12:35 PM

Anyway, while I despise Amazon for a multitude of reasons, this is why I wanted to see them gobble up the FSN regional brands when they went on the block.

Amazon would actively work to destroy the regional model blackout system, which would be a win for consumers. It's 2020, there's no effing reason for this kind of nonsense to exist anymore. Why would FSN care if someone from Colorado wanted to give them money to watch baseball, basketball, and hockey?

Frankly, the entire system is idiotic.

to that end, why doesn’t the NFL or MLB or any of the major sports including MMA just self distribute and keep ALL of the revenue? They already have the infrastructure and wouldn’t lose out on cable revenue w/ MLB Network already available....
It’s just mind blowing how badly I want to give them my money and they just don’t want to take it....

The stupid part is, I’m blacked out on both the Twins and the Brewers, and Vikings and Packers, but for no amount of local cable money can I get the Packers or the Brewers. I don’t want the Brewers but there are plenty of Brewers fans here who have no legal way of watching them.
  • Oldgoat_MN likes this

#55 spycake

spycake

• 18,401 posts

Posted 29 February 2020 - 06:39 PM

to that end, why doesn’t the NFL or MLB or any of the major sports including MMA just self distribute and keep ALL of the revenue? They already have the infrastructure and wouldn’t lose out on cable revenue w/ MLB Network already available....
It’s just mind blowing how badly I want to give them my money and they just don’t want to take it....

Networks are giving the teams/leagues billions of dollars a year for exclusive local/national streaming rights. It would be pretty hard to make up that lost revenue selling direct to the consumer. (Although I agree the current situation could definitely be improved!)

The stupid part is, I’m blacked out on both the Twins and the Brewers, and Vikings and Packers, but for no amount of local cable money can I get the Packers or the Brewers. I don’t want the Brewers but there are plenty of Brewers fans here who have no legal way of watching them.

Not sure where you are, but in places where media markets overlap, some streaming providers provide both team's channels. For example, River Falls, Wisconsin is blacked out from both the Twins and Brewers on MLB.TV, but if you subscribe to YouTube TV in River Falls, it appears that you get both Fox Sports North and Fox Sports Wisconsin. (For now, anyway :) )

You can enter a zip code here and see what you'd get on YouTube TV:

https://tv.youtube.c.../#id-70channels

• Sconnie likes this

#56 adorduan

adorduan

• 796 posts

Posted 01 March 2020 - 09:20 AM

Networks are giving the teams/leagues billions of dollars a year for exclusive local/national streaming rights. It would be pretty hard to make up that lost revenue selling direct to the consumer. (Although I agree the current situation could definitely be improved!)

Not sure where you are, but in places where media markets overlap, some streaming providers provide both team's channels. For example, River Falls, Wisconsin is blacked out from both the Twins and Brewers on MLB.TV, but if you subscribe to YouTube TV in River Falls, it appears that you get both Fox Sports North and Fox Sports Wisconsin. (For now, anyway :) )

You can enter a zip code here and see what you'd get on YouTube TV:

https://tv.youtube.c.../#id-70channels

Yeah, it's kind of weird, but here is Des Moines with Hulu, i get Fox North, Fox Midwest, and the Chicago sports channels, so I can see several different teams. Before i had to use MLB.tv and a vpn to see the Twins.

• mhanson93, spycake and In My La-Z-boy like this

#57 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• 13,860 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 03 March 2020 - 12:27 PM

This is an announcement I’m excited about. Please make more games available on Prime.
  • Mike Frasier Law and SF Twins Fan like this

#58 Puckett34

Puckett34

• 1,598 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, SD

Posted 03 March 2020 - 02:20 PM

This is an announcement I’m excited about. Please make more games available on Prime.

I'd tack on several extra dollars per month on my prime subscription for Amazon to take over the regional sports networks. Or at least the option to do so.

Maybe a tiered level like MLB.tv does it. A single team price or all game price.

Hit dingers. Never bunt.

#59 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,626 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 02:42 PM

I wrote about this when Sinclair bought the RSNs: http://videobaseball...oup-enters-mlb/

TL;DR - Sinclair is terrible and will be really, really bad for MLB fans.

I mentioned in the piece that teams still retained streaming rights, and that is the leverage that the Cubs and Yankees used to create deals for their own networks after the buyouts (that the news all stated that YES was included with this is not entirely true as YES has independent negotiating ability that they were able to leverage their streaming rights to get from Sinclair, and thus you see the Prime deal). Teams operating their own streams for local fans is where this is likely headed, but it would require financial investment.

Let's just say that I wouldn't blame YouTubeTV for this one bit. This is what Sinclair does. There have now been a half-dozen significant disputes with distributors for RSN contracts since Sinclair took over, leaving thousands with some amount of time where they were unable to see their favorite team. That's in 10 months. You really think things will get better with SBC the longer they own the RSNs?!

• Mike Frasier Law, Oldgoat_MN and Musk21 like this

Purveyor of videobaseballscout.com to cover all kinds of baseball!!

#60 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 11:52 PM

Aaaaand that's why I wanted Amazon to buy the FSN system.

• Sconnie likes this