Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

YouTube TV Drops Fox Sports Regional Networks

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#21 Rich

Rich

Elizabethton Twins

• 12 posts

Posted 27 February 2020 - 07:34 PM

If you have MLB.TV and are in a blackout area, consider watching the game the next day after work. The blackout games are available as archived games approximately 90 minutes after the conclusion of the game. 

#22 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 8,229 posts

Posted 27 February 2020 - 07:45 PM

Given how many providers are dropping Fox, I'm thinking the issue lies on Fox and not the other way around.

I didn't realize YouTube TV comes via Sinclair...which is interesting in its own confusing multimedia way.

YouTube TV doesn't come via Sinclair.
Sinclair owns the Fox Sports channels.
  • Thrylos and Shaitan like this

#23 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• 1,560 posts

Posted 27 February 2020 - 08:28 PM

If you have MLB.TV and are in a blackout area, consider watching the game the next day after work. The blackout games are available as archived games approximately 90 minutes after the conclusion of the game. 

And miss the Game Thread? You’ve got to be kidding!

• nicksaviking, Oldgoat_MN, puckstopper1 and 3 others like this

#24 spycake

spycake

• 17,693 posts

Posted 27 February 2020 - 08:58 PM

I use a site called suppose.tv to compare TV providers. You just enter your location in the top left, select what channels you want below that, and it shows you what providers offer that in your location and how much they cost.

https://www.suppose....ll1&r=BJKPJZU4U

YouTube TV was indeed the best deal ($50) for Fox Sports North before this mess. Now it is Hulu Live TV ($55). Another, more expensive streaming option is AT&T TV Now (formerly DirecTV Now, $80).

They also show satellite providers, but those usually come with a contract. At least streaming providers are just month to month and can be picked up or dropped at any time.
  • redstorm, MN_ExPat and CharlieDee like this

#25 spycake

spycake

• 17,693 posts

Posted 27 February 2020 - 08:59 PM

Maybe he is also in the Twins Daily blackout area. :)
  • IndianaTwin likes this

#26 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrator
  • 2,474 posts

Posted 27 February 2020 - 09:05 PM

I just switched from Sling back to cable, since it ended up being about the same price to get cable and internet vs. Sling and internet (plus a better channel lineup).

I don't get why the RSN's are such a pain in the ass, but the streaming services just aren't as great as they once were, IMO. When I first got Vue, it was cheaper and had all the channels someone would want. Then they got rid of 10 channels and raised the prices. Switched to Sling and they raised the prices, then got rid of FSN.

If cable would let me go month-to-month like the streaming services do, I'd go back. My fear is the instant I sign up for Comcast I'm gonna get a notification that they've also dropped FSN. At that point, it'd be worthless to me.

All I want is the Twins games, nothing else. This shouldn't be so difficult.

• Brock Beauchamp, birdwatcher, scottz and 5 others like this

Find me on Twitter @TFTwins and subscribe to my YouTube channel.

#27 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrator
  • 2,474 posts

Posted 27 February 2020 - 09:08 PM

Maybe Victory Sports One wasn't such a bad idea ...

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

Find me on Twitter @TFTwins and subscribe to my YouTube channel.

#28 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,712 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 27 February 2020 - 09:47 PM

Baseball is currently contractually obligated to choke off it's supply lines. 

How many customers and how much does each customer spend is a pretty simplistic formula but it sums it up revenue generation nicely. 

Failing to reach new customers requires getting the existing customers to spend more. However, by forcing them to spend more... it naturally reduces them further. That's the slippery slope.

Baseball needs to go the opposite direction. It needs to charge less per customer in an effort to gain a bigger more diverse customer base. 10 People paying 10 bucks is $100. 100 people playing 1 buck is the same revenue. You can raise the price on a 100 people you can't on 10.

However, Baseball can't do this because it has become reliant upon the revenue produced by selling the broadcast rights to entities that are also knee deep in the process of charging more to cover for having less to charge from. 

Cable is losing numbers, radio is losing numbers, newspapers are losing numbers and baseball is along for the ride because they signed the contracts. 

Baseball needs to be everywhere and they need to be everywhere yesterday. Broadcast rights, exclusivity, blackout rules all stand in the way. 

A large contingent of already roped in baseball fans like to call Manfred an idiot because he suggesting changes to Grandpa's game. Pace of play, Increasing the number of playoff teams is probably screaming off the pages of his research. Yet, the roped in baseball fan contingent dismiss it out of hand while they still think it's Ok to bean a guy in the back for showing emotion. The old school fan has become an additional roadblock for Manfred to navigate.  

Trevor Bauer was right about what baseball needs to do but he fails to suggest how to extricate itself from the current situation which is caused by the owners, players union and broadcast partners fighting over our money. 

• woolywoolhouse, Dave The Dastardly and jkcarew like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#29 AdoreAdorno

AdoreAdorno

Elizabethton Twins

• 4 posts

Posted 27 February 2020 - 10:10 PM

Iowa is not Twins Territory. Maybe Mason City.

Seriously? Not that "Twins Territory" is a well defined concept, but I would bet their marketing people would include Iowa. If you go by radio stations, you can get the Twins out of Mason City, Spencer, Iowa Falls, Cedar Rapids, and Des Moines. That's a lot of Iowa. The fan base has also most certainly been on the rise here in eastern Iowa. First because of the Twin's recent awesomeness, but also because the single A Cedar Rapids Kernels, which the Twins took over in 2013 and are a very successful minor league operation. Prior to that there was no Twins radio in most of eastern Iowa. Mason City may well have been the only signal. Most TV packages in Eastern Iowa carry Chicago regional sports networks, but my sense is that Twins fans rival Cubs fans from Iowa City northward.  

• Oldgoat_MN, big dog, adorduan and 4 others like this

#30 beckmt

beckmt

• 2,589 posts

Posted 27 February 2020 - 10:27 PM

YOu will have to find a way aroundit.Start with using Fire sticks rather than Roku (they are programmable).From there it is easy, but my wife is not techy enough to do this, so I do must of the hard work after a friend (for a price, programmed the stick for me).My son says he has several of those friend, but you might have to be out of the blackout area.I am currently in Florida for the winter.

#31 Yoke

Yoke

• 90 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 08:33 AM

If cable would let me go month-to-month like the streaming services do, I'd go back. My fear is the instant I sign up for Comcast I'm gonna get a notification that they've also dropped FSN. At that point, it'd be worthless to me.

All I want is the Twins games, nothing else. This shouldn't be so difficult.

That was what I was nervous about, but I don't have a contract with Spectrum, so it worked out best case scenario. I was researching all of the different streaming services when we were going to get rid of Sling, and they were either cheap, or had what I wanted, and there wasn't much in the middle of the Venn diagram.

I would use the whole year either way, though, since the two main things I watch are the Twins and the Wild.

• Tom Froemming likes this

#32 wavedog

wavedog

• 1,101 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 08:33 AM

Fortunately I live in Texas so I can watch the Twins on MLB.tv . It is crazy when you are better off as a fan living far away from your favorite team. Common sense will prevail soon I hope - you should be able to just buy a package with all your teams games on it.I switched to Youtube TV last July - so now I will be cut-off from all the local pro Baseball, Basketball and Hockey games but I will still keep it for now because we saved over $50 per month versus U-Verse. I just won't be able to watch the Twins play any games against the Rangers or Astros. 

• Oldgoat_MN and Vanimal46 like this

#33 Rich

Rich

Elizabethton Twins

• 12 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 09:15 AM

You don't have to miss the Game Threads if your in the blackout area. I've been on MLB.TV for many years and never missed any threads. You can also keep up to date with Audio and game day.  

• SQUIRREL, IndianaTwin and MN_ExPat like this

#34 SF Twins Fan

SF Twins Fan

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 662 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 28 February 2020 - 09:35 AM

Either need to switch to Hulu or go to Reddit.

• Vanimal46 likes this

#35 dex8425

dex8425

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 234 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 10:40 AM

Long time youtube tv subscriber here. I'm ticked. I'm switching to Hulu live TV, which is more expensive and worse than youtube tv. There's only 50 hours of cloud dvr, which my wife is not gonna like. We're also cutting off three other people who use my family sharing with yttv from watching the twins by switching from yttv to hulu. 

Ridiculous how difficult it is to watch Twins games. This is 2020. 

• Oldgoat_MN, Vanimal46 and In My La-Z-boy like this

#36 TwinsFan50

TwinsFan50

Elizabethton Twins

• 5 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 11:10 AM

[quote name="Diesel" post="958642" timestamp="1582828068"] I personally don’t do it, but it’s pretty easy to find these games online .......

What can be searched to find the games...

#37 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,579 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 11:26 AM

We should almost hope for Comcast and Hulu to drop the Fox Sports channels as well to force MLB's hand.

• Vanimal46 likes this

#38 Paul

Paul

• 164 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 12:01 PM

I lost the Twins with Dishnet. Seems to me that Sinclair desires a certain return to justify their purchase price. It also seems to me that carriers have drawn a line. It seems the logical conclusion is the rights contract with MLB will expire and Sinclair will expire with it. Or, Sinclair will aquiesce. 

#39 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 25,740 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 12:29 PM

I have friends in Chicago who are Cubs fans. And the new Cubs network, Marquee Sports Network, is the only place to watch games. And you have to pay for the service. Even if you are local. Yes, you are blacked out if local, unless you buy in. How's that for cornering the market? Oh, and it is also owned by Sinclair. I have a friend who has said he's about done with the Cubs and is ready to take all his shirts and drop them off at the Cubs' offices and let them know he will now be cheering on the White Sox. This is the most ridiculous form of media money ... owners reaping the rewards and all it does is turn off the fans.

• In My La-Z-boy likes this
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

#40 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Getting Ready to Show Up to ST in the Best Shape of My Life!

• 13,398 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 28 February 2020 - 12:45 PM

I use a site called suppose.tv to compare TV providers. You just enter your location in the top left, select what channels you want below that, and it shows you what providers offer that in your location and how much they cost.

https://www.suppose....ll1&r=BJKPJZU4U

YouTube TV was indeed the best deal ($50) for Fox Sports North before this mess. Now it is Hulu Live TV ($55). Another, more expensive streaming option is AT&T TV Now (formerly DirecTV Now, $80).

They also show satellite providers, but those usually come with a contract. At least streaming providers are just month to month and can be picked up or dropped at any time.

Has anyone used AT&T Now? I did a trial run over a year ago when they were branded DirecTV Now and their user interface was awful.