Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Twins 2020 Position Analysis: First Base

miguel sano
  • Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 27 February 2020 - 10:00 PM

"Miguel Sano, contract extension fresh in hand, will be relocating 120 feet away as Josh Donaldson takes over the hot corner."

um, 1st and 3rd are 127 feet apart.Just sayin'.and playin'.Another great article!

I mean it's not like they stand on the bags so we're ballparking it here. (Has that phrase ever been used more appropriately?)

• big dog, DocBauer and Melissa like this

#22 joefish

joefish

• 210 posts

Posted 27 February 2020 - 10:22 PM

Polanco and Arraez are gonna make Sano look bad. And it won't be Sano's fault. I like their offense, but they are defensive liabilities for our contending team. I hope we get better there.

#23 big dog

big dog

• 3,130 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 06:31 AM

Sano is going to have to dive for the ball more often at first than he did at third.I hope that isn't true, but I think I would bet the over rather than the under.

The good news is he only has to catch the ball now, not catch it, get up, and make an accurate throw.

#24 JLease

JLease

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 818 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 09:09 AM

Great post.

In reference to Marwin and Adrianza at 1B, I think we are fine there. Might like Adrianza more defensively, but we're talking about a fill in, right?

Call me crazy, but if someone were needed more than a game or two, I'm not so sure a roster move wouldn't be made for Wiel to get a shot. He's one of those guys who flies under the radar who could actually get a shot at some point and not embarrass himself. Of course, I hope the need isn't there.

I'm not sure I like Adrianza more defensively at 1B. For a first baseman, he's a fine shortstop...

But I do think the Wiel question is an interesting one. He's not seen as a top prospect by any means, but he's almost certainly going to be a more consistent defensive player than Rooker (who basically hasn't played 1B for the Twins yet) and he had a fine season at the plate last year in his first repeat at AAA. If he shows better plate discipline and gets off to a fast start, he could play his way on the team if/when injury strikes. But he's not on the 40-man (neither is Rooker), which makes me think they'd be more likely to bring up Gordon or Cave/Wade and let a combo platter or Marwin, Adrianza, and Garver handle 1B

#25 VivaBomboRivera!

VivaBomboRivera!

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 212 posts
  • Locationwest of Jingu, east of Koshien

Posted 28 February 2020 - 09:59 AM

Miguel Sano, picking machine!

#26 wabene

wabene

Wahoo

• 1,233 posts
  • LocationDuluth

Posted 05 March 2020 - 06:27 PM

"interstitial" - had to look that up. Proving once again that TD is an educational site.

I looked it up and I still don't know what it means!?

#27 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Just a Guy

• 22,777 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 06 March 2020 - 09:11 PM

Marwin is an average batter with the kind off flexibility we no longer need. 

i-give-up-gif.gif

Sano has never been healthy for entire year, Donaldson has been hurt before, Rosario played half the season injured, Kepler was down for all of September. 

We have Buxton though. He usually stays healthy.:)

We had Marwin last year and we had to create another Marwin with Arraez to get through the season.  

ANd it worked. 

I'd love to see Sano get through the season but I'd be surprised. 

• diehardtwinsfan and Sconnie like this
A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club
Founded 4-23-16

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#28 twinfan

twinfan

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 125 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 10:01 AM

You know what you are getting with Sano offensively. you get the streaks- good and bad- like every slugger. We won't quite know what we will get defensively until we get halfway through the season- whenever that is. I believe we have enough depth at first base to let Sano SH when necessary or even rest completely against a tough right hander. Marwin will bounce back offensively this year.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: miguel sano