Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Astros Consequences Thread

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Showing Up to Summer Camp in the Worst Shape of my Life!

• 13,512 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 26 February 2020 - 03:22 PM

It’s time to transition away from the reports of everything they did.

We all had a feeling that players were going to take matters into their own hands when Manfred gave the players immunity. So far they are living up to the promise.

In 4 spring training games, 5 different Astros players have been hit by a pitch. Here’s some video of fans showing their disgust for the team.

I’m interested to see how long this will go into the regular season... The Astros are going to need a lot of mental toughness to get through the season.
  • gunnarthor and Oldgoat_MN like this

#2 CharlieDee

CharlieDee

Elizabethton Twins

• 28 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 03:45 PM

Wish I could have been there to help boo.

• Thrylos, James, Oldgoat_MN and 5 others like this

#3 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,267 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 03:50 PM

I would like to see the rest of the league turn on these guys.If it means they have to take a lot of beanballs then OH WELL.They were granted immunity and still can't fess up to what it is that went down.No one but NO ONE should talk to an Astros player.No fraternizing, not a word.

• jbissell, Vanimal46 and David HK like this

#4 TFRazor

TFRazor

Who's on first?

• 790 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 04:01 PM

I think it'll be interesting to see how players who were on the Astros but no longer are will be treated. Is a guy like Marwin gonna get beaned a couple of times? Or is it more those who are still in the uniform?

#5 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• 13,512 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 26 February 2020 - 04:24 PM

I think it'll be interesting to see how players who were on the Astros but no longer are will be treated. Is a guy like Marwin gonna get beaned a couple of times? Or is it more those who are still in the uniform?

That’ll be interesting too. Aledymeis Diaz is one of the 5 Astros who have been plunked so far in ST and he was on the Cardinals back in 2017.
  • Mike Frasier Law likes this

#6 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• 13,512 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 26 February 2020 - 04:29 PM

I would like to see the rest of the league turn on these guys. If it means they have to take a lot of beanballs then OH WELL. They were granted immunity and still can't fess up to what it is that went down. No one but NO ONE should talk to an Astros player. No fraternizing, not a word.

It looks like that’s already happening... The Yankees’ title of “Evil Empire” was stolen by the Astros this offseason.

For opposing teams that’s another advantage they have... Isolating the Astros. You know the fans are going to boo the hell out of them. Even worse, their former brotherhood turns their back on them. That’s going to make for a very long season.

#7 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,594 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 10:16 AM

Just FYI, one of the BP writers posted on Twitter that the Astros starters and hitters overall are being hit by pitches at roughly the 4th-highest and 6th-highest rate in spring. That swings each day, obviously, but while there is significant attention on each Astros HBP, there doesn't seem to be any more frequency for Houston hitters getting plunked over any other team at this point.

We'll see how the regular season bears out, though.

• Oldgoat_MN, Danchat, Shaitan and 1 other like this

Purveyor of videobaseballscout.com to cover all kinds of baseball!!

#8 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Baseball and thought

• 8,864 posts
  • LocationThe ballpark of the mind

Posted 04 March 2020 - 10:41 AM

It will be interesting to see the reactions to the fines and suspensions Manfred likely issues to those who headhunt the Astros.

• KirbyDome89 likes this

I always wanted to know what it would be like to simultaneously experience the 1918 flu,  Great Depression, and 1968 mass protests while Andrew Johnson was president.

#9 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 26,135 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 11:32 AM

Just FYI, one of the BP writers posted on Twitter that the Astros starters and hitters overall are being hit by pitches at roughly the 4th-highest and 6th-highest rate in spring. That swings each day, obviously, but while there is significant attention on each Astros HBP, there doesn't seem to be any more frequency for Houston hitters getting plunked over any other team at this point.

We'll see how the regular season bears out, though.

What I wonder, though, who is receiving the hbp ... if certain players might be getting plunked more than others?

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

#10 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 26,135 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 11:33 AM

It will be interesting to see the reactions to the fines and suspensions Manfred likely issues to those who headhunt the Astros.

Yeah ... if he does that ... hmmm ... although can't imagine too many out there will want to jeopardize their own careers for that. I wouldn't. It wouldn't be worth it.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

#11 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,594 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 12:04 PM

What I wonder, though, who is receiving the hbp ... if certain players might be getting plunked more than others?

Just for reference, no Astro has been hit twice, but 14 MLB players so far this spring have been hit multiple times. Bregman and Altuve are the only two starters on the Astros to be hit. The other five are bench guys or non-roster invitees. Aledmys Diaz started the game he got hit, so he makes 3 HBP for Astros starters of the 7 total. Seven HBP ties the Astros with four other clubs for sixth place thus far early on, though parsing out the starters' ranks is more difficult without digging into each team's individual numbers.

• glunn, Mike Frasier Law, woolywoolhouse and 2 others like this

#12 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,594 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 12:06 PM

Needless to say, Manfred best be giving out equal suspensions to anyone headhunting any player to what he gives on any Astro or things will blow up! Especially if numbers remain as they are with no discernable difference in how teams are pitching to the Astros.

• SQUIRREL likes this

#13 woolywoolhouse

woolywoolhouse

• 355 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 12:12 PM

Needless to say, Manfred best be giving out equal suspensions to anyone headhunting any player to what he gives on any Astro or things will blow up! Especially if numbers remain as they are with no discernable difference in how teams are pitching to the Astros.

So the pitchers who hit Astros batters purposefully and with ill intent should get immunity to any punishment, as long as they come clean, right? Didn't Manfred say it is more important to get the truth than it is to serve punishments. At least, that's the precedent he's set here.

SblamiVvl-SFSfi_8yN5GGvjJk0=.gif

#14 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,968 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 02:43 PM

I wish there was a count for the number of posters who thrash the unwritten rules but suddenly are in favor of other teams throwing at Houston.....

Fans should boo them, bring trash cans to bang, find any other sort of creative way to express their disgust, ect. I'm glad other players are speaking out, even if I do feel like some of it is possibly hypocritical, but the approval or encouragement of headhunting Houston seems to fly in the face of the usual pushback on TD against such tactics.

• Dantes929, Craig Arko, h2oface and 2 others like this

#15 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,841 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 02:54 PM

I wish there was a count for the number of posters who thrash the unwritten rules but suddenly are in favor of other teams throwing at Houston.....

Fans should boo them, bring trash cans to bang, find any other sort of creative way to express their disgust, ect. I'm glad other players are speaking out, even if I do feel like some of it is possibly hypocritical, but the approval or encouragement of headhunting Houston seems to fly in the face of the usual pushback on TD against such tactics.

I am also amused by this. If the pitcher is acting in response to some real or perceived slight against himself or a teammate, collectively we seem to condemn it as if it's akin to attempted murder. But, if he's acting in response to a real or perceived slight about which WE feel strongly...well, then...boys will be boys!

• Dantes929, KirbyDome89 and bighat like this

#16 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 26,135 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 04:02 PM

I don't think anyone here has said they are in favor of pitchers throwing at the Astros players. I think many of us think it will happen despite the dangers of it and not supporting it. 

#17 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• 10,155 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 04:49 PM

I think certain teams - the A's for instance - will hit the Astros. But over the course of the season, it probably won't be that big a deal. It'll be interesting to see if Cole is expected to hit someone by his current team since they are the most upset.

Generally, pitchers really don't like giving up the extra base runner.

#18 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 8,240 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 06:21 PM

I haven't seen one single poster who is normally against head hunting, who has called for it against Astros hitters.

#19 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,968 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 07:10 PM

I don't think anyone here has said they are in favor of pitchers throwing at the Astros players. I think many of us think it will happen despite the dangers of it and not supporting it. 

"I would like to see the rest of the league turn on these guys.If it means they have to take a lot of beanballs then OH WELL."

If not encouragement that seems like approval to me....

#20 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,968 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 07:12 PM

I haven't seen one single poster who is normally against head hunting, who has called for it against Astros hitters.

And my post isn't aimed solely at the 17 responses in this thread. There's definitely a strong sentiment on TD and elsewhere that Houston "deserves," a beating. I have a hard time believing it's only those who approve of that particular unwritten rule suddenly coming out of the woodwork to post. 

• h2oface likes this