Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Keith Law's top 100 prospects

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2020

• 10,284 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 24 February 2020 - 10:25 AM

Only 3 Twins' players:

9. Alex Kirilloff OF
31. Royce Lewis, SS/OF
69. Jordan Balazovic, RHP

Graterol is not included either.

• glunn, birdwatcher, Mike Frasier Law and 1 other like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#2 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,741 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 10:36 AM

Not surprised Duran isn't on the list, we've all talked about KLaw's aversion to pitchers with height issues, but he also seems more skeptical when it comes to command than most others. Which is probably a significantly more legit concern.

Surprised by Larnach though and obviously Kirilloff being top 10 is a shocker. When it comes to offensive players, KLaw seems as adamant as anyone about a prospect's need for defensive excellence. People had been knocking Kirilloff for his defense for a year or so now, but I never did hear where that came from, he never looked like a guy who'd struggle in the outfield, and going off of body type, it seemed like he'd be fine and it would be Larnach who might be a bit more lumbering. 

Then the original 1st spring training day schedule came out and it was Larnach at DH and Kirilloff in RF before Kirilloff was removed from the lineup. It was probably nothing to do with nothing, but maybe Kirilloff's defensive inadequacies were not only overstated but wholly inaccurate? KLaw say anything about that?

• glunn, birdwatcher, NapoleonComplex and 1 other like this

#3 NapoleonComplex

NapoleonComplex

• 108 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 10:36 AM

I was surprised Law ranked Kirilloff in his top 10 considering his defensive profile. I'll take it though. Abundantly clear his bat is very, very special. I'm convinced Balazovic is going to be a consensus top 50 prospect when mid-year changes are made.

• glunn likes this

#4 NapoleonComplex

NapoleonComplex

• 108 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 10:42 AM

What Law wrote about Kirilloff in the field is why i'm surprised he cracked the top 10. All he wrote is Kirilloff is average in right, with a solid-average arm...

That's it. The profile he wrote is all about his sweet swing, calling it the best swing in the minors. Hope I'm not giving away too much from content with a paywall.

• glunn, birdwatcher, gunnarthor and 2 others like this

#5 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,741 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 10:45 AM

What Law wrote about Kirilloff in the field is why i'm surprised he cracked the top 10. All he wrote is Kirilloff is average in right, with a solid-average arm...

That's it. The profile he wrote is all about his sweet swing, calling it the best swing in the minors. Hope I'm not giving away too much from content with a paywall.

Paraphrasing is acceptable.

And welcome!

• glunn, Mike Frasier Law and SF Twins Fan like this

#6 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• 10,155 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 10:57 AM

I'm glad he's that excited about Kiriloff's bat. Should be a big year for him in AA. Maybe he cracks the majors.

• glunn and Vanimal46 like this

#7 clutterheart

clutterheart

• 1,622 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 10:59 AM

Balazovic fell 25 spots from his '19 midseason list - Any reason for this fall?

Kirilloff went up 6

Lewis went up 3

• glunn likes this

#8 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,294 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 11:12 AM

Not surprised Duran isn't on the list, we've all talked about KLaw's aversion to pitchers with height issues, but he also seems more skeptical when it comes to command than most others. Which is probably a significantly more legit concern.

What is Duran's height issue? He's 6-5...

• glunn, Thrylos, alphanumeric and 1 other like this

#9 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Showing Up to Summer Camp in the Worst Shape of my Life!

• 13,511 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 24 February 2020 - 11:23 AM

I think KLaw’s write up about Lewis is fair given his struggles last year. Why the Twins haven’t worked with him more on cutting down the noise in his swing is beyond me.

#10 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,741 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 11:49 AM

What is Duran's height issue? He's 6-5...

Perhaps I presented that poorly. I was suggesting that while folks around here often bring up KLaw's aversion to short pitchers, KLaw is even more skeptical about pitchers who still need to work on command, which is an issue that seems to be tied to Duran. Which is why I'm not surprised he is not on the list.

#11 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,839 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 12:14 PM

Only thing I can trace regarding issues with Kirilloff's "defensive profile"...is the fact that the Twins chose to play him at 1B for 35 games last year. I think a lot more has been read into that than probably should have been.

Still, I'm surprised Kirilloff made a significant move up anyone's list in the past season. Not that I would have expected him to take a dive in ranking, either. But, 2019 was mixed bag of nagging injuries and mediocre results. Of particular note, he took a significant step back in his power numbers.

#12 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• 10,155 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 12:36 PM

Only thing I can trace regarding issues with Kirilloff's "defensive profile"...is the fact that the Twins chose to play him at 1B for 35 games last year. I think a lot more has been read into that than probably should have been.

Still, I'm surprised Kirilloff made a significant move up anyone's list in the past season. Not that I would have expected him to take a dive in ranking, either. But, 2019 was mixed bag of nagging injuries and mediocre results. Of particular note, he took a significant step back in his power numbers.

I don't know but I wonder if Klaw gave extra weight to his last month or so when he was healthy. I don't have his stats with the playoffs but his last month or so, he really started hitting again.

#13 NapoleonComplex

NapoleonComplex

• 108 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 12:59 PM

Surprised by Larnach though and obviously Kirilloff being top 10 is a shocker. When it comes to offensive players, KLaw seems as adamant as anyone about a prospect's need for defensive excellence. People had been knocking Kirilloff for his defense for a year or so now, but I never did hear where that came from, he never looked like a guy who'd struggle in the outfield, and going off of body type, it seemed like he'd be fine and it would be Larnach who might be a bit more lumbering. 

Then the original 1st spring training day schedule came out and it was Larnach at DH and Kirilloff in RF before Kirilloff was removed from the lineup. It was probably nothing to do with nothing, but maybe Kirilloff's defensive inadequacies were not only overstated but wholly inaccurate? KLaw say anything about that?

Madrigal didn't make Law's top 100 prospects. Maybe the problem isn't Larnach or Madrigal, maybe Law just doesn't like OSU.

• gil4 and Dman like this

#14 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• 4,636 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 24 February 2020 - 01:20 PM

Logjam, logjam, logjam. Even if the new guys are really good, where will the Twins put them? 

The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

#15 amjgt

amjgt

• 2,726 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 01:24 PM

I wrote a question in the comments section of the article asking what he is hearing on Larnach that makes his opinion lower than the consensus. 

While Law usually is decent with fan interaction, it seems like it's usually on his terms (weekly Chats), so I'll be surprised if he answers it.

#16 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,643 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 01:37 PM

Mr. Law is making no fans over on Twitter right now. People are asking him why guys like Nick Madrigal and Drew Waters didn't crack his Top 100 and - spoiler alert - he's being a Richard about it.

Although someone referred to his as the "Prospect Don" in a non-ironic way and I had a good laugh. I put literally zero stock in his takes.

#17 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• 13,511 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 24 February 2020 - 01:50 PM

Mr. Law is making no fans over on Twitter right now. People are asking him why guys like Nick Madrigal and Drew Waters didn't crack his Top 100 and - spoiler alert - he's being a Richard about it.

Although someone referred to his as the "Prospect Don" in a non-ironic way and I had a good laugh. I put literally zero stock in his takes.

13 years in a row with 30 team’s fans claiming he hates their favorite team will make anyone jaded, I would imagine.
  • SQUIRREL, birdwatcher, PseudoSABR and 4 others like this

#18 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,643 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 02:17 PM

13 years in a row with 30 team’s fans claiming he hates their favorite team will make anyone jaded, I would imagine.

He's also paid handsomely to do it. It comes with the territory.

And these were questions like, "why is your rating for Madrigal so much different than the BA, MLB and BP?" So, VERY far from personal attacks. 

Edit: he's not even answering questions, just broad, lame statements: "there are 100 better prospects," and "this is my original work."

If you want to be a "guru" and get paid to do it, the questions are going to come and you can't be a jerk to people when they ask.

• gunnarthor, PseudoSABR and alphanumeric like this

#19 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• 13,511 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 24 February 2020 - 02:26 PM

He's also paid handsomely to do it. It comes with the territory.

And these were questions like, "why is your rating for Madrigal so much different than the BA, MLB and BP?" So, VERY far from personal attacks.

Edit: he's not even answering questions, just broad, lame statements: "there are 100 better prospects," and "this is my original work."

If you want to be a "guru" and get paid to do it, the questions are going to come and you can't be a jerk to people when they ask.

The medium he’s using (Twitter) probably has something to do with saying broad statements and not going into detail. Perhaps he will address it on an upcoming chat.

And from what I’m reading on his Twitter page, people are upset because he’s not following other major publications. That’s also why he’s paid handsomely, because he has his own opinion and he takes chances. He didn’t have Graterol on his top 100 last year and that looks like the right call now. I’m sure he wasn’t a believer in a few players over the last 13 years and they proved him wrong.
  • SQUIRREL, birdwatcher and Dman like this

#20 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,643 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 02:29 PM

The medium he’s using (Twitter) probably has something to do with saying broad statements and not going into detail. Perhaps he will address it on an upcoming chat.

And from what I’m reading on his Twitter page, people are upset because he’s not following other major publications. That’s also why he’s paid handsomely, because he has his own opinion and he takes chances. He didn’t have Graterol on his top 100 last year and that looks like the right call now. I’m sure he wasn’t a believer in a few players over the last 13 years and they proved him wrong.

If it takes him more than 280 characters to not be an a-hole, he should learn how to write. It's possible, he's just not willing to do it. And, he's sort of an idiot from the stuff of his I've read.

• Cris E and gunnarthor like this