Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Reports: Romero to Miss Most or All of Spring Training

fernando romero
  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 VivaBomboRivera!

VivaBomboRivera!

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 153 posts
  • Locationwest of Jingu, east of Koshien

Posted 23 February 2020 - 09:35 AM

I will say it again. Cut him and move on. He obviously didn't do his DD and it shows.

So by this standard you agree Pineda should not have been re-signed?

#22 DannySD

DannySD

Elizabethton Twins

• 47 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 23 February 2020 - 12:46 PM

Maybe we can wait to bash him since we don't know what happened? Lots of people (and pro baseball players) have visa and customs issues. It's never a done deal, especially for the young and brown, and it's a heavily prevalent ongoing discussion among people who are not US citizens. Part of life in 'Merica. 

• SQUIRREL, jorgenswest, birdwatcher and 3 others like this

#23 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 15,032 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 23 February 2020 - 03:21 PM

If Romero somehow screwed up, it’s still not on him. There is zero reason the Twins shouldn’t be handling the entirety of the process. Additionally, there is zero reason the immigration/visa process shouldn’t be any more of an inconvenience these days than a snafu at the DMV. This should be an hour process, not weeks, months or years.

I agree with the first part... The team should be handling this. Having done international travel for my employer before, I can attest that my only role in the visa process was signing some papers and sending scanned pictures of the required documents... then again, I did get deported once in spite of that, so there's that...

As for the second part, you're dealing with a nation's government... it's really not as simple as going to the DMV. 

Seems to me though that these visa problems often end up with the discovery that the player is older than previously though... I hope that isn't the case here. 

• DannySD likes this

#24 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 25,990 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 03:55 PM

I agree with the first part... The team should be handling this. Having done international travel for my employer before, I can attest that my only role in the visa process was signing some papers and sending scanned pictures of the required documents... then again, I did get deported once in spite of that, so there's that...

As for the second part, you're dealing with a nation's government... it's really not as simple as going to the DMV. 

Seems to me though that these visa problems often end up with the discovery that the player is older than previously though... I hope that isn't the case here.

It could be a number of things, even something innocuous. There are so many things that you cannot enter with ... and that list, in the years I’ve been touring internationally, has gotten longer and changed quite a bit. It is getting way more complicated and I could see how something got missed or went awry without any fault to either the Twins or Romero. I mean, it could even be a typo on his documents that resulted in an unexplained discrepancy. But, we don’t know what the hold up was that ultimately forced him home to go through the entire visa process all over again
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

#25 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 860 posts

Posted 01 March 2020 - 07:31 AM

No problem with the visa but it was a customs problem?! That implies he was trying to bring/smuggle in something he shouldn't have. Not saying that's the case, but once you have gotten your visa, clearing customs should be a breeze unless the customs officer suspects something's not quite kosher.

#26 big dog

big dog

• 3,108 posts

Posted 01 March 2020 - 07:45 AM

Maybe he was trying to bring in something illegal, like a bag of oranges. Customs hates that.And so does the beagle that trots around people at the baggage carousel before the entrance to Customs.

• Sconnie likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fernando romero