Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Reports: Romero to Miss Most or All of Spring Training

fernando romero
  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,076 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 04:26 PM

Disappointing news today via LaVelle E. Neal III of the Star Tribune: The Twins are anticipating that Fernando Romero will miss most or all of spring training as his visa issues persist. 

"Romero has to resubmit documents to obtain a work visa to enter the country, a process that's expected to take weeks," Neal writes. "Therefore, the club is preparing for the possibility that Romero will not be part of the major league camp."

This is a huge setback for the 25-year-old Romero, who could've easily won a spot in the bullpen with a strong spring. He's all but certain to open in Triple-A now. He's facing a critical opportunity with the Twins searching for bullpen firepower to replace Graterol.

It's truly hard to understand how these kinds of things can happen with so much on the line. Alas, Romero will have some ground to make up once he gets here. But it's worth keeping in mind Sano was also 25 a year ago when he showed up at camp with a seemingly self-sabotaging heel laceration. After a late start, he got right back to where he and the Twins needed him to be. Hopefully something similar happens here.

What are your thoughts on this development?

• Dman and DocBauer like this

#2 Matthew Lenz

Matthew Lenz

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Twins Daily Contributor
  • 139 posts
  • LocationApple Valley, MN
  • Twitter: Lenzy2108

Posted 22 February 2020 - 04:35 PM

If I’m understanding correctly he dropped the ball on this? If so, extremely disappointing.

I think the difference between him and Sano was that Sano had an open spot when he became healthy. Fernando needed this spring to compete for a spot.

Edited by Matthew Lenz, 22 February 2020 - 04:36 PM.

#3 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

Ft Myers Miracle

• 278 posts
  • LocationBelo Horizonte, Brazil

Posted 22 February 2020 - 04:47 PM

I don`t think he necessarily drop the ball. Maybe it`s like Squirrel said, when he came here for Twins Fest on a tourist visa it short circuited the P1 process. You would have thought he would have been advised by the Twins or immigration if that was the problem. Any way no one can fault him for wanting to be here for Twins Fest 

• bighat likes this

#4 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,815 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 05:13 PM

I’m guessing hundreds of Dominican players...including several Twins...have participated in their team’s winter tour, and yet managed to get to spring training before camp broke.
  • USAFChief, birdwatcher, D.C Twins and 1 other like this

#5 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 9,440 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 22 February 2020 - 05:22 PM

This would be much more concerning if Romero didn’t have an option remaining. Hopefully, he can thrive wherever he ends up after Spring Training, and be an asset for the Twins sometime this season.
  • gil4 and Danchat like this

#6 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,717 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 06:17 PM

If I’m understanding correctly he dropped the ball on this? If so, extremely disappointing.

I think the difference between him and Sano was that Sano had an open spot when he became healthy. Fernando needed this spring to compete for a spot.

Is your understanding based on your reading of Neal's report? I don't see anything in there that would lead me to understand that Romero dropped the ball.

• gunnarthor and bighat like this

#7 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,579 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 06:23 PM

If Romero somehow screwed up, it’s still not on him. There is zero reason the Twins shouldn’t be handling the entirety of the process. Additionally, there is zero reason the immigration/visa process shouldn’t be any more of an inconvenience these days than a snafu at the DMV. This should be an hour process, not weeks, months or years.
  • birdwatcher, gunnarthor, Dantes929 and 6 others like this

#8 Matthew Lenz

Matthew Lenz

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 139 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 06:32 PM

Is your understanding based on your reading of Neal's report? I don't see anything in there that would lead me to understand that Romero dropped the ball.

Love Lavelle but don’t give my money to the STrib to support clowns like Glen Taylor and Patrick Reusse. Anyway, it says above he needs to resubmit some documents...so it’s my understanding that these documents should have been submitted earlier?

#9 Diesel

Diesel

Ft Myers Miracle

• 423 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 06:32 PM

Lavelle just stated it wasn’t an issue with the visa but with customs....

#10 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,076 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 06:36 PM

Updates from LaVelle:

• Diesel likes this

#11 Matthew Lenz

Matthew Lenz

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 139 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 06:38 PM

Updates from LaVelle:

Interesting. Thanks for sharing the update. I guess my question/comment is that hundreds of players need to go through customs and don’t have an issue, so my mind thinks Romero did something, likely unintentional, that created the issue. Admittedly, that is probably not fair.

#12 operation mindcrime

operation mindcrime

Minnesota Twins

• 3,324 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 06:42 PM

Ffs!

#13 RaymondLuxuryYacht

RaymondLuxuryYacht

Ft Myers Miracle

• 354 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 08:35 PM

Updates from LaVelle:

Can we still blame the Twins?

#14 bobs

bobs

Ft Myers Miracle

• 357 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 09:12 PM

Fortunately plenty of depth in bullpen, so he can go to AAA and try to earn another shot.

#15 Blackjack

Blackjack

• 968 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 09:27 PM

How does something like this happen?? He's been back and forth many times, shouldn't getting a visa be automatic by now?? Can someone explain the whole visa process??

• TopGunn#22 likes this

#16 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 6,280 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 10:37 PM

Oh so tempted to make a Manfred joke here and blame him.

But seriously, and not laying blame anywhere or on anyone because we have no clue what happened or what is going on, but isn't this just ridiculous? Literally each and every year, hundreds of Latin ballplayers go this process and yet we constantly come across bizarre situations like this. I'm sure a mistake or two will happen here and there that requires a simple correction, but a multi billion dollar industry doesn't have people in place to just dot a few "i's" or cross a few "t's" to make sure everything is in place ahead of time?

We're not talking about circumventing the Berlin Wall here are we? Or are we?

Is there so much unrest and incompetence politically that some players have no issues but others do? Are there under the table dealings we don't know about? Or is there really that poor of communication and competence between player and organization? I really don't know. But if it IS the last question asked, then shame on the Twins and MLB for not having a better handle on this after so many years.
  • Blackjack and TopGunn#22 like this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#17 akmanak

akmanak

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 531 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 07:37 AM

I will say it again. Cut him and move on. He obviously didn't do his DD and it shows.

#18 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

Ft Myers Miracle

• 278 posts
  • LocationBelo Horizonte, Brazil

Posted 23 February 2020 - 07:45 AM

This ST I had great expectancy. Donaldson would inspire young prospects, Sano masters 1B, Rosario gets serious on his defense, Astudillo finds plate discipline & Wes has a full ST to work his magic. I don`t know how much input Wes had w/ Romero last year but this ST I was hoping he would have valuable impact on him. I haven`t given up on Romero because he has a lot of potential but this definitely is a set back of attaining his goals.

#19 Rosterman

Rosterman

• 3,545 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 09:12 AM

He got here for TwinsFest. He is a major league player drawing a split contract (or at least a 40-man contract). Made it to Twinsfest, right? Sometimes you shake your head.

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#20 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• 4,449 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 09:22 AM

This just in: Fernando stopped at Bachmans on his way to the airport and bought a lovely indoor plant. It was a mum. For his Mum. She will not be enjoying this indoor plant. Fernando will not be enjoying spring training. It wasn't his fault. It was a plant.

• bighat likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fernando romero