Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

fangraphs and other national, non-local articles about the Twins (2020)

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Major League Ready

Major League Ready

• 2,416 posts

Posted 14 December 2020 - 08:22 AM

Oh, the Sox could easily be a 90 win team if they get 2-3 breaks for them this season.

The thing is that getting 2-3 breaks from 23-26 year olds at the same time doesn't often happen.

The Sox *will* be good, just probably not in 2020.

I think you could make an argument the Twins had 5 in 2019. Garver / Polanco / Kepler / Sano and Berrios had his best season. 

• wabene likes this

#22 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 24,074 posts

Posted 14 December 2020 - 03:10 PM

I think you could make an argument the Twins had 5 in 2019. Garver / Polanco / Kepler / Sano and Berrios had his best season. 

Sure, but there's a difference between young players struggling, having their ups and downs, for a few years before breaking out (the 2019 Twins) versus having a bunch of rookies or second year players breaking out simultaneously (the 2020 Sox).

The former is almost expected, the latter is more unlikely. And, as we saw the Sox implode down the stretch, it's probable that they would have ended a standard 162 set as a good, but definitely not great, team.

• wabene likes this

#23 Major League Ready

Major League Ready

• 2,416 posts

Posted 14 December 2020 - 03:47 PM

Sure, but there's a difference between young players struggling, having their ups and downs, for a few years before breaking out (the 2019 Twins) versus having a bunch of rookies or second year players breaking out simultaneously (the 2020 Sox).

The former is almost expected, the latter is more unlikely. And, as we saw the Sox implode down the stretch, it's probable that they would have ended a standard 162 set as a good, but definitely not great, team.

They are not as inexperienced as the media makes them out to be. They have Abreau / Grandal in terms of really experienced vets. Anderson / Moncada both have 4 years experience. Jimenez is on year 3. They traded one of their their inexperienced SPs for Lynn. Of course, they have Keuchel and Giolito has plenty experienced. I just don't see them as this young / inexperienced team they are made out to be.

#24 tony&rodney

tony&rodney

Ft Myers Miracle

• 351 posts

Posted 14 December 2020 - 05:46 PM

Expect the White Sox to be good, very good, This is precisely why the Twins will sign a significant player (or two or three) and make a solid trade. The winter hasn't quite arrived. There is plenty of time. What is the best roster for next year at $140 million or less? Falvine have decisions to make.

#25 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 24,074 posts

Posted 15 December 2020 - 10:51 AM

They are not as inexperienced as the media makes them out to be. They have Abreau / Grandal in terms of really experienced vets. Anderson / Moncada both have 4 years experience. Jimenez is on year 3. They traded one of their their inexperienced SPs for Lynn. Of course, they have Keuchel and Giolito has plenty experienced. I just don't see them as this young / inexperienced team they are made out to be.

You realize you originally quoted a post that's almost a year old, right? You're talking about the 2021 Sox and my post is from before the 2020 season began. 

#26 Major League Ready

Major League Ready

• 2,416 posts

Posted 15 December 2020 - 11:10 AM

You realize you originally quoted a post that's almost a year old, right? You're talking about the 2021 Sox and my post is from before the 2020 season began. 

Oops! Sorry, I did not realize. However, fast forward a year and a lot of the media is still portraying them as a team about to fulfill their promise. At least that's how it seems to me. Regardless, they are the favorites. We need to fill a couple holes and hope the guys that had down years last year bounce back.

#27 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 24,074 posts

Posted 15 December 2020 - 12:21 PM

Oops! Sorry, I did not realize. However, fast forward a year and a lot of the media is still portraying them as a team about to fulfill their promise. At least that's how it seems to me. Regardless, they are the favorites. We need to fill a couple holes and hope the guys that had down years last year bounce back.

I don't know if I'd call them the division favorites but they're definitely expected to be a frontrunner for the division. Personally, I viewed their 2020 as the type of "surge forward, fall back" season that young teams often see before becoming legitimate competitors going forward.

#28 Channing1964

Channing1964

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 771 posts
  • LocationPhoenix,Az

Posted 15 December 2020 - 04:46 PM

I dont get too excited about projections this early in the offseason but.......that Lance Lynn trade... I am sure I'm not the only one that sees what the White Sox offense can do. They will still play crappy defense but starting pitching was a major weakness last season

#29 prouster

prouster

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 741 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 07:02 PM

Fangraphs has published their updated list and summaries of the top Twins prospects: https://blogs.fangra...innesota-twins/.

A couple surprises at the top. They rank Kirillof as the no. 1 prospect, and Lewis’ profile reminds me more of Joey Gallo than Derek Jeter.