Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

fangraphs and other national, non-local articles about the Twins (2020)

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• 10,119 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 04:52 PM

Can't find the old thread on this but it's probably time for a new one anyway.

Fangraphs just published their playoff odds - https://www.fangraph...gs/playoff-odds

Twins have a 2/3 chance! Only the Yankees and Astros are higher. AL East is going to be pretty bad this year, actually, although I'm in the camp that thinks the Red Sox will completely fall apart and finish below .500. Fangraphs doesn't think that. AL West could be brutal. A's and Angels both look good. Squint and you can see ways for each to win the West.

• Mike Frasier Law, nicksaviking, Dantes929 and 5 others like this

#2 old nurse

old nurse

• 3,996 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 06:32 PM

Fangraphs just published their playoff odds - https://www.fangraph...gs/playoff-odds

Twins have a 2/3 chance! Only the Yankees and Astros are higher. AL East is going to be pretty bad this year, actually, although I'm in the camp that thinks the Red Sox will completely fall apart and finish below .500. Fangraphs doesn't think that. AL West could be brutal. A's and Angels both look good. Squint and you can see ways for each to win the West.

McCuellers and Urquidy will determine who wins the west.

• Mike Frasier Law likes this

#3 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,630 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 11:43 AM

The NL East is stacked. Wow.

• gunnarthor, Mike Frasier Law and nicksaviking like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#4 scottz

scottz

• 750 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 11:49 AM

If I was a gambling man, I'd go put some money on the Reds. I love what they've done and I will be actively cheering for them in 2020.

Full disclosure, I am an occasional gambling man, but I'm absolutely terrible at sports betting. So don't go bet the farm on the Reds because of this post. I know many of you were about to do just that. Good thing I included this disclosure.

Also, give me the over on the Blue Jays at 74.2 wins.

• USAFChief, Mike Frasier Law, nicksaviking and 7 others like this

#5 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,579 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 12:04 PM

If I was a gambling man, I'd go put some money on the Reds. I love what they've done and I will be actively cheering for them in 2020.

Full disclosure, I am an occasional gambling man, but I'm absolutely terrible at sports betting. So don't go bet the farm on the Reds because of this post. I know many of you were about to do just that. Good thing I included this disclosure.

Also, give me the over on the Blue Jays at 74.2 wins.

I like how aggressive the Reds were but I don't particularly like most of their moves. Moustakas and Castellanos are decent players, but they both seemed more knee-jerk moves to me, I don't think they're nearly as good as the contracts they got; reminds me of the Padres moves the last couple of years. 

I think Toronto could step up this year though. I could see a lot of turnover in that division.

I'm not as confident in Houston either. The scandal hanging over the team's head not-withstanding, they're down to one elite starter and he's 37. Greinke is good but no longer dominant and the young guys don't come close to matching up to Charlie Morton let along Gerrit Cole. 

• scottz and GP830 like this

#6 TFRazor

TFRazor

Who's on first?

• 736 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 01:14 PM

I like how aggressive the Reds were but I don't particularly like most of their moves. Moustakas and Castellanos are decent players, but they both seemed more knew-jerk moves to me, I don't think they're nearly as good as the contracts they got; reminds me of the Padres moves the last couple of years. 

I think Toronto could step up this year though. I could see a lot of turnover in that division.

I'm not as confident in Houston either. The scandal hanging over the team's head not-withstanding, they're down to one elite starter and he's 37. Greinke is good but no longer dominant and the young guys don't come close to matching up to Charlie Morton let along Gerrit Cole. 

I like the Castellanos deal better than the one for Moose. Easier to get out of.

#7 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 23,375 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 09:23 PM

Hold up, now... The White Sox are clearly the favorites in the division.

https://southsidesho...s-cant-compete/

(click through this writer's other entries, they're really hilariously bad)

But in all seriousness, I'm surprised the Twins are under 70%. Not that I disagree, I'm just surprised. I simply don't have a lot of faith in Cleveland and I don't think the White Sox are ready to step over 90 wins so I'm not thinking about them too hard.

• DocBauer and Vanimal46 like this

#8 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 23,375 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 09:29 PM

I actually feel this way as well. Houston will still be good, don't get me wrong, but I'm not confident they're going to just push over the rest of the division, particularly the A's. 

I think the scandal will wear down on them over the course of the season and losing the 6-7 wins from Cole is going to sting, not even counting the fact that either/both of Verlander/Grienke could decide to get hurt or decline pretty rapidly at that age.

They will still be a very good team but it wouldn't shock me if they "scuffle" to 91 wins and lose the division.

#9 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• 10,119 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 10:44 PM

Hold up, now... The White Sox are clearly the favorites in the division.

https://southsidesho...s-cant-compete/

(click through this writer's other entries, they're really hilariously bad)

But in all seriousness, I'm surprised the Twins are under 70%. Not that I disagree, I'm just surprised. I simply don't have a lot of faith in Cleveland and I don't think the White Sox are ready to step over 90 wins so I'm not thinking about them too hard.

I actually hope Chicago is good again. I loved the 02-10 rivalry we had with them. Absolutely loved it. They have some real talent on that team - they could be a wildcard team and win 90 some games if everything breaks for them. Robert is a hell of a prospect.

• Dantes929 likes this

#10 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 23,375 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 10:48 PM

I actually hope Chicago is good again. I loved the 02-10 rivalry we had with them. Absolutely loved it. They have some real talent on that team - they could be a wildcard team and win 90 some games if everything breaks for them. Robert is a hell of a prospect.

Oh, the Sox could easily be a 90 win team if they get 2-3 breaks for them this season.

The thing is that getting 2-3 breaks from 23-26 year olds at the same time doesn't often happen.

The Sox *will* be good, just probably not in 2020.

#11 amjgt

amjgt

• 2,725 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 08:29 AM

Should someone tell him that PECOTA has Maeda as the 14th most valuable pitcher in 2020?.... 31 spots above Giolito. 

#12 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• 2,404 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 09:42 AM

Keith Law just ranked the Twins minor league system 15th overall.

https://theathletic....l-30-mlb-teams/

I thought we were a little better than that.

#13 Mike Frasier Law

Mike Frasier Law

• 192 posts

Posted 11 March 2020 - 12:49 PM

Fangraphs author digs up stats I've never heard of to argue that Maeda is on the verge of a massive break-out.

https://tht.fangraph...in-kenta-maeda/

• Sconnie, Dman, jkcarew and 2 others like this

#14 Sconnie

Sconnie

Wooo!

• 5,864 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 11 March 2020 - 05:10 PM

Fangraphs author digs up stats I've never heard of to argue that Maeda is on the verge of a massive break-out.

https://tht.fangraph...in-kenta-maeda/

good article! Thanks for sharing. I like the non-foul-ball strikes metric!

My fear is Maeda will gain a ton of benefit with Buxton roaming CF and Kepler in RF... then go right in the toilet with an extended period of Jake Cave in the OF....
  • Mike Frasier Law and rghrbek like this

#15 ashbury

ashbury

Elizabethton Twins

• 25,155 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 11 March 2020 - 05:23 PM

then go right in the toilet with an extended period of Jake Cave in the OF....

Not just Maeda, either.... :)

• Sconnie likes this

You should attempt to re-express your opponent’s position so clearly, vividly, and fairly that your opponent says, 'Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.'

#16 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• 2,003 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 11 March 2020 - 06:14 PM

How many 4th outfielders are clearly better than Cave defensively? Lewis and Celestino are reasonably close defensively. IMHO there are more pressing matters.

#17 obtusebanter

obtusebanter

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 157 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 11 March 2020 - 08:16 PM

good article! Thanks for sharing. I like the non-foul-ball strikes metric!

I like that CSW too.

Looking at Maeda by CSW per pitch over his four seasons was pretty revealing too. His change-up wasn't worth a darn his rookie year but he excelled with a good fastball and great slider. Still didn't have a change-up in 2017 but his fastball wasn't getting results either and that slider was his only plus pitch. Found his change-up in 2018 but the fastball was still garbage and, well, the slider is always great. Got the fastball back in 2019 but the change-up fell off again.

Maybe 2020 is when he puts it all three pitches together...

• Sconnie likes this

#18 Lonestar

Lonestar

• 403 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 02:55 PM

Luis Arraez, unique, one of a kind

https://blogs.fangra...ez-sui-generis/

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

#19 crapforks

crapforks

• 427 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 08:49 PM

https://blogs.fangra...ct-this-decade/

Not sure the proper protocol for linking to a podcast. The hosts are predicting the decade a la MLB’s the vault contest and Sam Miller predicts Buxton to win the most MVP awards between now and 2029. Anyone familiar with this podcast knows there’s a lot more to it than that. Worth a listen.
  • vavo likes this