Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Offseason plan

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:14 PM

I no sooner finished this and saw that Haren is supposedly off the market... so flame away...

http://twinsdaily.co...-offseason-plan

#2 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 1,962 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:57 AM

I think you're severely underselling Johnson and Drew who will both get more dollars and years. Bedard too.

That said, I need to put my own plan.

#3 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,214 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 03 November 2012 - 01:12 AM

Your plan is thought provoking, and you don't deserve to get flamed just because Haren got traded.

#4 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 01:27 AM

Haren is a free agent and not traded,get in touch.

#5 JP3700

JP3700

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 01:51 AM

I think you're severely underselling Johnson and Drew who will both get more dollars and years. Bedard too.

That said, I need to put my own plan.

I agree that Johnson and Drew will both get more lucrative contracts. I also think Keppinger and Grilli will as well. I can definitely appreciate the thought and effort put into this though, so thanks diehard.

If you are posting a plan Pseudo, there was a thread started yesterday for Offseason Blueprints.

#6 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 06:38 AM

Haren is a free agent and not traded,get in touch.

He had a 15M option with a 3M buyout... so technically, not a free agent, though it was no secret he was getting the buyout.

#7 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,752 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:46 AM

I like the idea of the team grabbing guys like Johnson, Marcum or even Villaneavua (another Blue Jays pitcher). Someone is going to be really lucky with Haren this offseason, hope it's us but I'd bet on him staying in CA, either with SD or OAK. Drew has Boras as an agent. He won't come here.

I think Span to the Reds makes too much sense although I think Span gets Cingrani and Didi (Newman at fangraphs thought that was a fair trade in a chat a few weeks ago). Either way, I think Span gets moved.

#8 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:19 PM

I'd be thrilled if Span netted Cingrani straight up. Pitching isn't cheap, espeically LHP who did quite well in AA. He may not profile as an ace, but he strikes me as a pretty decent bet to be a 2/3 type pitcher.

#9 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,752 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:35 AM

I'd be thrilled if Span netted Cingrani straight up. Pitching isn't cheap, espeically LHP who did quite well in AA. He may not profile as an ace, but he strikes me as a pretty decent bet to be a 2/3 type pitcher.

I like Cingrani but there is still question of whether he sticks as a starter. He stats were solid, obviously, but scouts still question whether he has enough stuff to be a starter and most agree that his ceiling is a #3. The Twins might actually prefer Corcino (another Reds prospect). I think, for Span, you'd want to get more than that. But, fortunately, there should be some demand for Span, who is a legitimate leadoff hitter.