Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Romero not in camp?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 puckstopper1

puckstopper1

• 519 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 11:19 AM

As a post note on the Hardy article, Do-Hyoung Park mentions that Fernando Romero is not in camp.

"He is stuck in the Dominican Republic as he sorts out visa/immigration issues."

https://www.mlb.com/...for-roster-spot

What gives?

Should this not have been taken care of weeks ago?

It is not like Romero didn't know that he had to be in the U.S. at this time...

Not a good start in his attempt to make the 26 man roster.

• Oldgoat_MN, Dman, tarheeltwinsfan and 2 others like this

That Twins 2nd baseman - #29 - he doesn't run, he "ca-rew-zes" - Earl Weaver

#2 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,155 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 11:32 AM

As a post note on the Hardy article, Do-Hyoung Park mentions that Fernando Romero is not in camp.

"He is stuck in the Dominican Republic as he sorts out visa/immigration issues."

What gives?

Yeah, they announced that the first day of pitchers and catchers and said they think he should be back by this week sometime. I'm sure they're in daily contact and he's probably under the same program. But yeah, definitely hurts his chances for Opening Day. 

Seems like there is 1-2 of these each year. Romero was actually at Twins Fest, so I'm not sure what happened.

Wilfredo Tovar also having visa issues. 

• TFRazor likes this

#3 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 25,742 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 11:37 AM

As a post note on the Hardy article, Do-Hyoung Park mentions that Fernando Romero is not in camp.

What gives?

This is totally not on him. It’s very difficult getting all the paperwork in on time ... which is up to the teams, I think ... and some of it is determined by the contract of the individual player. Does Romero have options left beyond this year? That could be a hitch. And going back and forth can be problematic. Did he come to Twins Fest on a tourist visa, and now coming back using a P-1 visa? That could put a hitch in things. Also, while the player gets a P-1 visa, it is very difficult to also bring family with you. It’s really not easy, and sometimes it’s just denied and then you have to refile the paperwork ... this is not on him because he just didn’t get it done on time. But maybe he wasn’t supposed to go back between and did. But who knows what he understood and didn’t because it’s a really complicated process.
  • Brock Beauchamp, jorgenswest, Blake and 8 others like this
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

#4 Dantes929

Dantes929

• 2,819 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 11:41 AM

What gives?

I used to be annoyed with this kind of stuff thinking it was completely preventable but if he was here for Twins fest with no problems I can understand why that would lead him to believe there should be no problems now. I have no idea what the issues are or how much control he or the team has over it so am not going to hold it against him.As long as he is able to get his work in what he is losing is instruction time for a week.I don't think that should be make or break.

• SQUIRREL, Blake, wabene and 1 other like this
If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#5 PDX Twin

PDX Twin

Portland Beavers

• 1,413 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 19 February 2020 - 12:00 PM

Given the recent trend of politicians getting personally involved in immigration issues, maybe it's easier to get a visa if you play for the Yankees...

• gunnarthor, Dantes929, PseudoSABR and 1 other like this

It's great to get out of the cellar ... as long as you bring something with you.

#6 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 23,367 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 12:03 PM

What gives?

This is surprisingly common and from what I understand, often not the player's fault.

• SQUIRREL, jorgenswest, Blake and 4 others like this

#7 akmanak

akmanak

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 531 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 12:21 PM

Cut him.
  • David HK and operation mindcrime like this

#8 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 25,742 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 12:22 PM

This is surprisingly common and from what I understand, often not the player's fault.

When I worked in a foreign country, my employers filed everything. When I’m on tour, my employer files everything. Of course, I have paperwork to fill out and sign, but they have staff helping us thr Ugh the process making sure all the forms are filled out correctly. So I’m sure each team has individuals on staff that do this. And sometimes countries can just deny the application. That’s also happened. It’s just a really complicated thing and even if Romero filled out something incorrectly, it’s just really complicated. These forms are not at all intuitive. Thankfully my foreign work travel is down to nothing these days.
  • Brock Beauchamp, Blake, diehardtwinsfan and 5 others like this
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

#9 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,312 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 01:33 PM

This happens to a handful of players on every team every year. They only miss a few days, not a big chunk of ST. Non-issue.

#10 Thegrin

Thegrin

• 1,094 posts
  • LocationRipon, CA

Posted 19 February 2020 - 02:46 PM

Our nation's immigration people are not Twins fans.:)

• PDX Twin and David HK like this

#11 Linus

Linus

• 2,391 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 09:40 PM

Well the rules have to be published so somebody should understand them. Weird

#12 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Pitch-to-contact poster

• Twins News Team
  • 5,642 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 10:28 PM

No way would the team rely on the player to navigate the immigration on either side of the border/sea; it's their investment. Lot's administratively can go wrong in these complex multi-nation, multi-lingual bureaucratic processes, without either party being negligent. 

That said, I was really looking forward to seeing something from Romero this Spring.

Edited by PseudoSABR, 19 February 2020 - 10:35 PM.

• puckstopper1 likes this

#13 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

Ft Myers Miracle

• 274 posts
  • LocationBelo Horizonte, Brazil

Posted 20 February 2020 - 07:54 AM

This is totally not on him. It’s very difficult getting all the paperwork in on time ... which is up to the teams, I think ... and some of it is determined by the contract of the individual player. Does Romero have options left beyond this year? That could be a hitch. And going back and forth can be problematic. Did he come to Twins Fest on a tourist visa, and now coming back using a P-1 visa? That could put a hitch in things. Also, while the player gets a P-1 visa, it is very difficult to also bring family with you. It’s really not easy, and sometimes it’s just denied and then you have to refile the paperwork ... this is not on him because he just didn’t get it done on time. But maybe he wasn’t supposed to go back between and did. But who knows what he understood and didn’t because it’s a really complicated process.

I`m sure he came here on a tourist visa for Twin`s Fest & he had to go back because he couldn`t stay on that visa, he needs that P-1. Like you said it`s complicated, sometimes there`s jealousy problems on their side of the process. Hope he can make up ground!

#14 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 25,742 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 08:20 AM

Well the rules have to be published so somebody should understand them. Weird

Believe me, it’s still complicated. Having had to fill out visa paperwork for other countries, if my employer hadn’t had someone show us and tell us exactly what to write where, it would be very difficult. As I said, none of it is at all intuitive and is a complicated process. And once submitted, even if you meet all the deadlines, something can hold it up. And for Romero, he’s not a big name star, and he’s got how many years left? Anything can cause a hitch. And I’m sure the Twins are doing everything possible to clear it up. This is just how it is and a player or two from just about every team likely has problems. Hopefully he will be here soon!
  • VOMG likes this

#15 KFEY93

KFEY93

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 111 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 10:30 AM

Romero is bad anyway and probably wont make the active roster when spring training lets out. This affects the team very little. 

#16 ashbury

ashbury

Elizabethton Twins

• 25,148 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 20 February 2020 - 10:40 AM

I'm reminded of a story about Red Sox shortstop prospect Rey Quiñones, the season after he was traded to the Mariners. He showed up late for spring training, telling the Mariners he had visa problems. ‘Uh, Rey,’ team president Chuck Armstrong told him, ‘you’re from Puerto Rico. You don’t need a visa.'.

Romero being from the Dominican Republic means he does indeed need a visa. I just hope this incident isn't a cover or lame excuse for something else, like it evidently was for Quiñones.

• Brock Beauchamp, puckstopper1, VOMG and 2 others like this

You should attempt to re-express your opponent’s position so clearly, vividly, and fairly that your opponent says, 'Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.'

#17 Linus

Linus

• 2,391 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 11:03 AM

I'm reminded of a story about Red Sox shortstop prospect Rey Quiñones, the season after he was traded to the Mariners. He showed up late for spring training, telling the Mariners he had visa problems. ‘Uh, Rey,’ team president Chuck Armstrong told him, ‘you’re from Puerto Rico. You don’t need a visa.'.

Romero being from the Dominican Republic means he does indeed need a visa. I just hope this incident isn't a cover or lame excuse for something else, like it evidently was for Quiñones.

Classic. Thanks for the story
  • ashbury and operation mindcrime like this

#18 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,155 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 04:20 PM

The news from the Twins today is that Romero is likely to miss most, if not all, of spring training due to the visa issues. 

#19 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

Ft Myers Miracle

• 274 posts
  • LocationBelo Horizonte, Brazil

Posted 22 February 2020 - 04:36 PM

The news from the Twins today is that Romero is likely to miss most, if not all, of spring training due to the visa issues. 

So sad! I`dhave like him to have a good ST.

• Sconnie likes this

#20 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,910 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 25 February 2020 - 06:57 AM

Like others said, this is not on Romero. I've done a bit of international travel, and my company handled all of this. I've been denied entry too, so I've been there interestingly enough...

My bigger concern is that Romero is suddenly 3 years older at the end of all of this. That's something that sometimes happens in these situations.