Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Astros, Bauer, Pohlad's, Twins, Future of MLB

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#21 Number3

Number3

Ft Myers Miracle

• 476 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 09:52 AM

yes. Absolutely.

It will speed it up. slow it down, and maybe make it more interesting or maybe not.

#22 chaderic20

chaderic20

• 74 posts
  • LocationWaukee, IA

Posted 18 February 2020 - 10:52 AM

I understand it's hard, if not impossible, to punish the players fairly at this point.Many of them have moved on to other teams and/or retired, so it's just not practical to suspend them.But they can still be fined right?Or another idea I had is to wipe out their stats from those two years.That will hurt them in future contract/arbitration negotiations, or for some, in eventual hall of fame considerations.

Also, completely agree with Bauer on the marketing, black outs, etc.It's absolutely ridiculous, there's no excuse for it and MLB should be embarrassed over their ineptitude in these areas.The blackouts in particular have been a pet peeve of mine for years (living in Iowa there are SIX teams blacked out here).

#23 cmoss84

cmoss84

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 537 posts
  • LocationBakersfield, CA

Posted 18 February 2020 - 12:26 PM

I wonder if the 3 batter rule will slow the game, speed it up and maybe it more interesting?

Want to know who will not have to worry about the 3 batter rule? 

Any team facing the Astros. Bring up some AA guys who throw 100 with no control. Put them in in the middle innings. Let the ball go wherever it will go. If the umpire crew wants to throw them out, so be it. New pitcher in. 

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

#24 Battle ur tail off

Battle ur tail off

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 655 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 01:31 PM

Astros should be banned from postseason play for 5 years. They need the death sentence. That will take their organization and turn it into a wasteland, bring them to their knees.

The players involved should have been suspended for half or all of this season without pay. 

They aren't hard on these guys at all. What is going to happen is that one of them is going to get hurt. I can almost guarantee it will happen. The sound bites coming from other players throughout the league certainly shows vitriol to these players and the Astros organization. 

#25 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 25,740 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 02:42 PM

Concur, Doc. The players are speaking out about it now to get their opinion on record during spring training. If nothing else is done before the regular season, the players will take it in their own hands. I also don’t like or advocate intentionally throwing at a batter, but the reality is pitchers will do just that without further action.
Some people are probably bored with this topic. I can’t get enough of this content. The additional reports and quotes from other players are bananas. The players across the league usually tow the company line and back up their brothers. Not this time... Players on other teams are genuinely pissed about the Astros.

It seems, from all I’ve read and watched, that players are pissed that the Astros players have faced and for now, won’t face, any penalties whatsoever, from MLB. Until Manfred does something meaningful in the next week, not sure what’s going to happen.
  • DocBauer and SF Twins Fan like this
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

#26 SF Twins Fan

SF Twins Fan

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 662 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 18 February 2020 - 03:02 PM

I really, really, really hope whoever is in charge of the music/songs that play throughout the MLB stadiums play any and every song about cheating whenever the Astros are in town.Or pipe in some trash can bangs. Or put up some graphic or Oscar the Grouch on the jumbo tron when Correa is up.

Have fun with it and mock the **** out of the Astros.

#27 JW24

JW24

• 197 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 03:03 PM

Devil's Advocate here. Take nothing after this sentence seriously.

What if Manfred is actually a marketing genius? This Astros story has dominated the sports headlines now for a couple weeks with no real signs of dying down prior to the season starting.

Astros spring training games will get some attention, especially if some of their big name players get plunked by guys who will start the season in AA. Get those clips on MLB Network and ESPN!

I would not be surprised to hear Manfred announce that all 81 Astros road games will be nationally televised to try to boost ratings and to keep the Astros in the news. Kind of like the Kardashians, only there is less cheating that takes place by the Kardashian family.

He may be so inept that the disdain he has created for the sport he oversees generates more viewership in general.

#28 AceWrigley

AceWrigley

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 247 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 03:20 PM

I feel Manfred is either inept, or a puppet. I still think ownership may need to step forward before this all said and done. If that is the case, considering over the years we have heard the Pohlad family had a certain cache, I would like to see Jim step forward.

Why is it that the heads of all the major league sports are pencil-necked geeks? I agree that this whole cheating scandal thing is not settled in the minds of the players. I hope they find a way to get some retribution/justice without it getting too ugly or dangerous. Again, 0-162 for the Astros. I hope we bomba them into oblivion.

And lets start calling them the Cheetos. They already have orange uniforms.

• DocBauer and cmoss84 like this

#29 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 6,266 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 06:33 PM

Why is it that the heads of all the major league sports are pencil-necked geeks? I agree that this whole cheating scandal thing is not settled in the minds of the players. I hope they find a way to get some retribution/justice without it getting too ugly or dangerous. Again, 0-162 for the Astros. I hope we bomba them into oblivion.

And lets start calling them the Cheetos. They already have orange uniforms.

Heard something interesting on local talk radio today about an over/under in regard to how many times Astro players are HBP this season. The number was something like 83. Oakland lead the AL last year with something like 87. You want to take the over, but it was brought up that MLB and the umpires might be extremely cautious here and have quick hooks when the season begins. Makes some sense, and do teams risk having their SP removed early?

I still have this feeling more and more information will come forward. I still think we should remember the misogynist comments made by the former assistant GM. The Astros have become an embarrassment. But I have the feeling nothing will be done to ownership unless some new information comes forward.
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#30 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 6,266 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 06:34 PM

Devil's Advocate here. Take nothing after this sentence seriously.

What if Manfred is actually a marketing genius? This Astros story has dominated the sports headlines now for a couple weeks with no real signs of dying down prior to the season starting.

Astros spring training games will get some attention, especially if some of their big name players get plunked by guys who will start the season in AA. Get those clips on MLB Network and ESPN!

I would not be surprised to hear Manfred announce that all 81 Astros road games will be nationally televised to try to boost ratings and to keep the Astros in the news. Kind of like the Kardashians, only there is less cheating that takes place by the Kardashian family.

He may be so inept that the disdain he has created for the sport he oversees generates more viewership in general.

What the hell, why not a cage match during the 7th inning stretch? Lol
  • JW24 likes this

--Lou Brown

#31 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Minnesota Twins

• 2,740 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 07:03 PM

So let me get this straight. The Astros cheated in 2017, and won the World Series. The Red Sox cheated in 2018, and won the World Series.

In 2019, the lesson that all teams, including both the Astros and the Red Sox, draw is “we are not going to cheat, or cheat anymore?”

Does that seem remotely probable?

There is more to come out on this story.
  • DocBauer likes this

#32 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 23,364 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 08:09 PM

Why is it that the heads of all the major league sports are pencil-necked geeks?

Sigh. I'm not even sure what you mean by that but it doesn't look good.

#33 Number3

Number3

Ft Myers Miracle

• 476 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 09:12 AM

So let me get this straight as to how this sign stealing is supposed to have worked. The pitcher stares into the catcher as the catcher flashes the signs and the batter anxiously awaits the signal from the banging trash can which can't bang until the camera picks up the sign and gets it to the trash can banger while the batter, instead of simply concentrating on hitting and winning the game tries to pick up the trash can signal above the din of the crowd and the pitcher may already be into his wind up or even have delivered the pitch depending in the pitcher and whether or not he is pitching from a full windup and the pitch it self may be poorly executed or in an unexpected location or so perfectly executed that it is still very difficult to hit or is hit well but right at a defender. Sounds fool proof to me. Amazing that any Astros player ever made an out. They should still be playing in game one in the first inning. MLB is meeting at this moment to implement the slaughter rule. Sounds fool proof to me. By the way, ever tried wine made out of sour grapes? (The run on sentence was intentional; anything to do with runs)

#34 Don Walcott

Don Walcott

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,295 posts
  • LocationSanta Fe, NM

Posted 19 February 2020 - 09:39 AM

https://ftw.usatoday...heating-scandal

And so it begins . . . .

• Sconnie and DocBauer like this

#35 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,579 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 09:47 AM

So let me get this straight as to how this sign stealing is supposed to have worked. The pitcher stares into the catcher as the catcher flashes the signs and the batter anxiously awaits the signal from the banging trash can which can't bang until the camera picks up the sign

It's not on a 10 second delay, the trashcan bangers get the sign the same time the pitcher does

and gets it to the trash can banger while the batter, instead of simply concentrating on hitting and winning the game tries to pick up the trash can signal above the din of the crowd and the pitcher may already be into his wind up

Not unless Mark Buehrle is on the mound. They don't need some kind of cipher to decode the signs. 

or even have delivered the pitch depending in the pitcher and whether or not he is pitching from a full windup and the pitch it self may be poorly executed or in an unexpected location or so perfectly executed that it is still very difficult to hit or is hit well but right at a defender. Sounds fool proof to me. Amazing that any Astros player ever made an out.

Why? Batters make outs in the Home Run derby even when they know a meatball is coming.

They should still be playing in game one in the first inning. MLB is meeting at this moment to implement the slaughter rule. Sounds fool proof to me. By the way, ever tried wine made out of sour grapes? (The run on sentence was intentional; anything to do with runs)

Sorry, the only sour grapes that I hear these days is indignant Astro players and fans upset that there's now a stain on their franchise.

#36 cmoss84

cmoss84

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 537 posts
  • LocationBakersfield, CA

Posted 19 February 2020 - 03:03 PM

Just curious-how many of you predict that it will be more teams than just the Astros and Red Sox when it's all said and done? 

• adjacent and DocBauer like this

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

#37 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Minnesota Twins

• 2,740 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 04:33 PM

So let me get this straight as to how this sign stealing is supposed to have worked. The pitcher stares into the catcher as the catcher flashes the signs and the batter anxiously awaits the signal from the banging trash can which can't bang until the camera picks up the sign and gets it to the trash can banger while the batter, instead of simply concentrating on hitting and winning the game tries to pick up the trash can signal above the din of the crowd and the pitcher may already be into his wind up or even have delivered the pitch depending in the pitcher and whether or not he is pitching from a full windup and the pitch it self may be poorly executed or in an unexpected location or so perfectly executed that it is still very difficult to hit or is hit well but right at a defender. Sounds fool proof to me. Amazing that any Astros player ever made an out. They should still be playing in game one in the first inning. MLB is meeting at this moment to implement the slaughter rule. Sounds fool proof to me. By the way, ever tried wine made out of sour grapes? (The run on sentence was intentional; anything to do with runs)

When did Carlos Correa start reading Twins Daily?
  • Brock Beauchamp likes this

#38 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 6,266 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 09:01 PM

Just curious-how many of you predict that it will be more teams than just the Astros and Red Sox when it's all said and done?

That's a great question. Not sure I have an answer. There have been a few whispers and accusations, of course but nothing substantiated as of yet. Actually, unless I missed something, I don't believe the Red Sox have any actual charges levied against them as of yet.

IMO, there would have been a good chance the Mets might have continued the cheating trend as their new/removed manager came from this mess. But I have doubts that Astros players who moved on, Marwin for example, suddenly went in to a clubhouse and said "look at what we did! We should do it here too!"

So I am thinking this will be isolated to a team or two. But I am not recalling any additional coaches or FO personnel who may have moved to other teams.
  • cmoss84 likes this

--Lou Brown

#39 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2020

• 10,283 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 20 February 2020 - 06:13 AM

Judd Zulgad wrote a brilliant article on February 13th concerning the removal of Jim Crane as owner of the Astros.

What say all of you?

This is the equivalent of SKOR North wanting to remove Zulgad from ownership of his car, because he has too many parking tickets.

It ain't North Korea.The Astros are Jim Crane's property.

• USAFChief likes this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#40 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 8,229 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 10:32 AM

This is the equivalent of SKOR North wanting to remove Zulgad from ownership of his car, because he has too many parking tickets.

It ain't North Korea. The Astros are Jim Crane's property.

Not quite.
MLB owners are part of a co-op, which together makes up MLB.
Owners can be removed for behavior that is detrimental to the league. They agree to that standard when they enter into the co-op.

Somewhat like buying a restaurant franchise. Yes, you own the restaurant. But there are standards that you agree to, and failure to do so can result in the franchise being removed from you.
  • matthew0211 likes this