Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Minor Leaguers to get a Raise

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,090 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 02:26 PM

https://apnews.com/1...a2641244e0c00fd

Players at rookie and short-season levels will see their minimum weekly pay raised from $290 to $400, and players at Class A will go from $290 to $500. Double-A will jump from $350 to $600, and Triple-A from $502 to $700.

It's something...It's still not much, but it's something...

• SQUIRREL, scottz, Oldgoat_MN and 5 others like this

#2 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 6,151 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 01:51 PM

At least a step in the right direction.
  • SwainZag, SF Twins Fan, nclahammer and 1 other like this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#3 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• 2,398 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 02:04 PM

So does that mean the plan to kill all those teams has itself been killed?

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

#4 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,288 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 02:11 PM

I agree that it's still too low.

But a 30% raise is pretty good in general. Gotta start somewhere.

• scottz, Oldgoat_MN, Sconnie and 4 others like this

#5 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• 1,420 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 08:14 PM

I guess it's not about the money at that stage of professional baseball, is it. If it were, I suppose none would play baseball in college for free.If the minor league players wanted a raise, they could join the US Army and make a private's salary of $20,700 annually for 24/7 availability and a difficult, challenging, dangerous job. This is something I love about the free enterprise system we have in the US. We can train, learn, serve, work, where we want, as long as we can do the job..We have the freedom of choice.

• scottz likes this

#6 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2020

• 10,276 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 15 February 2020 - 08:28 PM

$400 a week is $10 an hour, which is reasonable.

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#7 darin617

darin617

• 1,544 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 10:59 PM

I agree that it's still too low.

But a 30% raise is pretty good in general. Gotta start somewhere.

It's still a disgrace how low minor league players salaries are.

• SQUIRREL, DocBauer and SF Twins Fan like this

#8 old nurse

old nurse

• 3,976 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 07:18 AM

Any player gets a signing bonus. Anything below 125,000 on the later rounds does not count per what I have read does not count in the bonus pool. There really shouldn't be a problem starting your career with enough money for a few years. Yet players sign for little of nothing for the privilidge of persuing a dream. It is their own fault

#9 AZTwin

AZTwin

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,061 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 07:45 AM

A lot of the high school players get a free education if things don’t work out worked into their deal as well

#10 goulik

goulik

Kernel of truth

• 1,942 posts
  • LocationElko

Posted 16 February 2020 - 09:20 AM

A few things to remember with the low wages:
1) there are a lot of other benefits along with this like room and board which is normally the majority of your bills
2) comprehensive and fully paid health insurance
3) this is a part time job for them, they have other baseball jobs and seasons and other non baseball jobs so this is not their ANNUAL salary

Having said all that, I think the MLB teams could do better but that should have been a Union thing a long time ago. I put some blame on the PA
  • DocBauer and SF Twins Fan like this

#11 mrtwinsfan

mrtwinsfan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,744 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 10:55 AM

Do they get meal money also ,amounts listed anywhere ?

#12 Trov

Trov

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 222 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 11:07 AM

I agree it is nice they are finally making a living wage, but at the same time, they choose that life.No one is forcing them to play.Now, some players may have given up on their dream to make a living wage and maybe this will let some of those diamond in the roughs to eventually shine without having to sacrifice having a family.I hope the employees that are not players are also getting raises.As someone who once went to minor league job fair, pay is crap and they expect you to work 2 jobs, the one you work during game day and time, and ticket sales person rest of the time.You got to love the job if you willing to do it.  

#13 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 8,174 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 11:38 AM

A lot of the high school players get a free education if things don’t work out worked into their deal as well

Do you have a source for that info? I've never heard of that before.

#14 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 8,174 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 11:39 AM

1) there are a lot of other benefits along with this like room and board which is normally the majority of your bills
3) this is a part time job for them, they have other baseball jobs and seasons and other non baseball jobs so this is not their ANNUAL salary

Having said all that, I think the MLB teams could do better but that should have been a Union thing a long time ago. I put some blame on the PA

It may be different in other organizations, but I don't think the Twins provide room and board.

#15 SwainZag

SwainZag

• 2,632 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 16 February 2020 - 12:40 PM

It may be different in other organizations, but I don't think the Twins provide room and board.

I live in Billings, MT where the Reds Rookie team plays and almost all of the players here are hosted by families during their season.Keep in mind the R season is only 3 months long, but for those 3 months their housing and most meals are paid for by the family and/or the team.

#16 AZTwin

AZTwin

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,061 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 12:42 PM

Do you have a source for that info? I've never heard of that before.

Might have to do some digging. Went to college out west and had some friends on baseball teams or went the pro route then went back to school. It may be anecdotal but from what it sounded like was that it was pretty standard practice

#17 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,605 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 01:16 PM

You fail to point out they need to buy their own equipment, unlike other jobs. And that they often are in extended spring training (no pay received for that time), and that they train nearly year round now (and pay for that) so they don't have as much time for other jobs. They often have to pay for their "meal that is provided in the clubhouse". 

People really should read some of the articles by actual minor league players about how much money they lose each year trying to make this all work out for them.

• SQUIRREL, Riverbrian and DocBauer like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#18 goulik

goulik

Kernel of truth

• 1,942 posts
  • LocationElko

Posted 17 February 2020 - 01:34 PM

You fail to point out they need to buy their own equipment, unlike other jobs. And that they often are in extended spring training (no pay received for that time), and that they train nearly year round now (and pay for that) so they don't have as much time for other jobs. They often have to pay for their "meal that is provided in the clubhouse". 

People really should read some of the articles by actual minor league players about how much money they lose each year trying to make this all work out for them.

Does the clubhouse meal they have to pay for come out of their food stipend? I know many if not most or all have food stipends. All I was saying in my post is there is more to it. I COMPLETELY agree with you and have an issue with unpaid spring training, Extended Spring Training as well as the instructional leagues in the fall. ALL these should come with pay and THE PLAYERS UNION should get behind making changes to this especially since they all went through it. Why is MiLB not allowed to be part of the MLB PA? 

• Mike Sixel, DocBauer and obtusebanter like this

#19 goulik

goulik

Kernel of truth

• 1,942 posts
  • LocationElko

Posted 17 February 2020 - 01:41 PM

I live in Billings, MT where the Reds Rookie team plays and almost all of the players here are hosted by families during their season.Keep in mind the R season is only 3 months long, but for those 3 months their housing and most meals are paid for by the family and/or the team.

I know Cedar Rapids has host families. A host family from Pensacola posted on here last year and we had a TD group discussion about how that worked there. I believe the GCL and Mussels use the dormitories. I do not know anything about Rochester or Elizabethton. 

Here is a related article that has more on the GCL academy.

https://www.news-pre...efits/13223975/

• Mike Sixel likes this

#20 darin617

darin617

• 1,544 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 05:39 PM

Room and board? I don't think they get that paid for. Why else do you hear about 6 guys living in a 1 bedroom apartment?

• Mike Sixel likes this