Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Oil Boom: NoDak

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Joe

Joe

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:25 PM

I was supposed to be leaving tomorrow to head to the western Williston Basin for a couple weeks for work. It would have been my fifth time in the last four years. However, for the second time, I was called and told I would not be leaving because there was a murder at the hotel I would be going to. The first time this happened, it was two Halliburton workers who had a knife fight in the hotel lobby. This time apparently a pimp killed a non paying Mexican.

I'm curious if there are any western NoDak residents on the board. How do you like living with idiot drillers/fraccers/welders? How has your life changed in the last 5 years? I've gotten to see some pretty cool stuff in my run ins in Minot, Williston, New Town, Stanley, and Tioga..... But ****, the only reason anyone must live in that area is to get away from people. Has to be awful.

#2 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:37 PM

I was supposed to be leaving tomorrow to head to the western Williston Basin for a couple weeks for work. It would have been my fifth time in the last four years. However, for the second time, I was called and told I would not be leaving because there was a murder at the hotel I would be going to. The first time this happened, it was two Halliburton workers who had a knife fight in the hotel lobby. This time apparently a pimp killed a non paying Mexican.

I'm curious if there are any western NoDak residents on the board. How do you like living with idiot drillers/fraccers/welders? How has your life changed in the last 5 years? I've gotten to see some pretty cool stuff in my run ins in Minot, Williston, New Town, Stanley, and Tioga..... But ****, the only reason anyone must live in that area is to get away from people. Has to be awful.

after being part of the 70s oil boom and working it till joining the military and returning after my hitch there were some stupid people not all worked in the boom , where money is sh*t will follow,dealers hoes thiefs republicans ,but besides these most of the oil trash people were pretty good people, last may i sold my farmstead rather then continue to deal with the inflation and rebuilding of minot ...if you dont walk around chasing hoes or asking for drugs and being a little respectful you should have no problem in the basin , my nephew who i took out to my rig when he was 5 years old is now nieghbors youngest tool push and keeps asking uncle john to come run a rig for him , i loved growing up in the patch , starting to sismographing at age 16 and moving to rigs as a 17 year old ..save your money have some fun give ,em 8 hours of work for 8 hours of pay ,and be careful sh*t happens ,good luck

#3 Joe

Joe

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 04:47 PM

after being part of the 70s oil boom and working it till joining the military and returning after my hitch there were some stupid people not all worked in the boom , where money is sh*t will follow,dealers hoes thiefs republicans ,but besides these most of the oil trash people were pretty good people, last may i sold my farmstead rather then continue to deal with the inflation and rebuilding of minot ...if you dont walk around chasing hoes or asking for drugs and being a little respectful you should have no problem in the basin , my nephew who i took out to my rig when he was 5 years old is now nieghbors youngest tool push and keeps asking uncle john to come run a rig for him , i loved growing up in the patch , starting to sismographing at age 16 and moving to rigs as a 17 year old ..save your money have some fun give ,em 8 hours of work for 8 hours of pay ,and be careful sh*t happens ,good luck

I have a college degree..... I don't rig or frac. I don't mean that in a snotty way, but it takes a special individual to live that life.

I've been out there plenty too. Enough in 09' to claim residency.

#4 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:27 PM

[quote name='Joe'][quote name='johnnydakota'][quote name='Joe']I was supposed to be leaving tomorrow to head to the western Williston Basin for a couple weeks for work. It would have been my fifth time in the last four years. However, for the second time, I was called and told I would not be leaving because there was a murder at the hotel I would be going to. The first time this happened, it was two Halliburton workers who had a knife fight in the hotel lobby. This time apparently a pimp killed a non paying Mexican.

I'm curious if there are any western NoDak residents on the board. How do you like living with idiot drillers/fraccers/welders? How has your life changed in the last 5 years? I've gotten to see some pretty cool stuff in my run ins in Minot, Williston, New Town, Stanley, and Tioga..... But ****, the only reason anyone must live in that area is to get away from people. Has to be awful.[/QUOTE]
after being part of the 70s oil boom and working it till joining the military and returning after my hitch there were some stupid people not all worked in the boom , where money is sh*t will follow,dealers hoes thiefs republicans ,but besides these most of the oil trash people were pretty good people, last may i sold my farmstead rather then continue to deal with the inflation and rebuilding of minot ...if you dont walk around chasing hoes or asking for drugs and being a little respectful you should have no problem in the basin , my nephew who i took out to my rig when he was 5 years old is now nieghbors youngest tool push and keeps asking uncle john to come run a rig for him , i loved growing up in the patch , starting to sismographing at age 16 and moving to rigs as a 17 year old ..save your money have some fun give ,em 8 hours of work for 8 hours of pay ,and be careful sh*t happens ,good luck[/QUOTE]

I have a college degree..... I don't rig or frac. I don't mean that in a snotty way, but it takes a special individual to live that life.

I've been out there plenty too. Enough in 09' to claim residency.[/QUOTE]

you know how many college degrees i had working for me?, there every kind in the boom , but no matter what have fun , if your a hunter thats great country for birds and deer some nice muletails out there

#5 Joe

Joe

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:10 PM

[quote name='johnnydakota'][quote name='Joe'][quote name='johnnydakota'][quote name='Joe']I was supposed to be leaving tomorrow to head to the western Williston Basin for a couple weeks for work. It would have been my fifth time in the last four years. However, for the second time, I was called and told I would not be leaving because there was a murder at the hotel I would be going to. The first time this happened, it was two Halliburton workers who had a knife fight in the hotel lobby. This time apparently a pimp killed a non paying Mexican.

I'm curious if there are any western NoDak residents on the board. How do you like living with idiot drillers/fraccers/welders? How has your life changed in the last 5 years? I've gotten to see some pretty cool stuff in my run ins in Minot, Williston, New Town, Stanley, and Tioga..... But ****, the only reason anyone must live in that area is to get away from people. Has to be awful.[/QUOTE]
after being part of the 70s oil boom and working it till joining the military and returning after my hitch there were some stupid people not all worked in the boom , where money is sh*t will follow,dealers hoes thiefs republicans ,but besides these most of the oil trash people were pretty good people, last may i sold my farmstead rather then continue to deal with the inflation and rebuilding of minot ...if you dont walk around chasing hoes or asking for drugs and being a little respectful you should have no problem in the basin , my nephew who i took out to my rig when he was 5 years old is now nieghbors youngest tool push and keeps asking uncle john to come run a rig for him , i loved growing up in the patch , starting to sismographing at age 16 and moving to rigs as a 17 year old ..save your money have some fun give ,em 8 hours of work for 8 hours of pay ,and be careful sh*t happens ,good luck[/QUOTE]

I've been out there plenty too. Enough in 09' to claim residency.[/QUOTE]

you know how many college degrees i had working for me?, there every kind in the boom , but no matter what have fun , if your a hunter thats great country for birds and deer some nice muletails out there[/QUOTE]

Well, in my experiences out there, High School diplomas are few and far between.

We work 7 days a week. Pretty much only time we get is to drink at night.

#6 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:29 AM

where else is a high school drop out gonna make over 6 fiqures a year?
the other place is rebuilding nukes which is where i ended up, i was the guy stupid enough to climb inside the reactors,
after spending parts of 3 decades, i work 2 weeks doing soundings up in alaska in 1990 hahaha,
my first rig was andy myers, we work 30 days on and 1 day off 7/12s, 17 years old and earned over 43,000 back in the 70s
buy your booze and go back to the room stay away from the drama and save your money for good times back home ..have fun

#7 E. Andrew

E. Andrew

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:33 AM

where else is a high school drop out gonna make over 6 fiqures a year?
the other place is rebuilding nukes which is where i ended up, i was the guy stupid enough to climb inside the reactors,
after spending parts of 3 decades, i work 2 weeks doing soundings up in alaska in 1990 hahaha,
my first rig was andy myers, we work 30 days on and 1 day off 7/12s, 17 years old and earned over 43,000 back in the 70s
buy your booze and go back to the room stay away from the drama and save your money for good times back home ..have fun

Agreed, how many other chances are there to rebuild a life? My buddy finished part of college, had a ton of debt but a good job, so he didn't worry about it. Then he lost his job. Without a college degree, how do you restart in this job climate? The oil boom can (and does) keep families together if you're smart, as noted above.

#8 Cody Christie

Cody Christie

Twins Contributor

• Twins Contributors
  • 838 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:50 AM

The boom has been great for the state but I wouldn't want to live in the chaos of Western ND.

#9 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,208 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:30 AM

Should we be worried about the environmental impacts of fracking?