Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Twins Daily 2020 Top Prospects: #5 Jordan Balazovic

jordan balazovic
  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Bickle19

Bickle19

Elizabethton Twins

• 25 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 11:50 AM

The Twins are stretching out their 21 year-old Canadian right hander in AA this season....bold move indeed.

Meanwhile, the Braves were letting their 21 year-old Canadian right hander pitch in the majors for the 2nd straight year in 2019. He went 13-4 with a 2.68 ERA and made the All-Star team.

I love the team the Twins have on the field in 2020. But someone needs to tell this team that nobody cares about Pensacola winning a league title. When you find an elite player like Balazovic, have the cajones to get the guy up to the bigs and stop wasting his arm down on the farm.

One was drafted 28th overall and threw 372.2 innings in 3+ minor league seasons. He threw more innings in the minors than the bigs in 2018. Has one real major league season under his belt.

The other was a 5th round pick who has thrown 227.2 innings in 4 minor league seasons. He's 21. If he makes the roster next year at 22 I think we will be just fine.

• birdwatcher, 70charger, Dman and 7 others like this

#22 mikelink45

mikelink45

• 3,071 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 12:36 PM

I think even an early season 2021 MLB rotation spot is a stretch. He's 21. Let's see him throw 120-130 innings at AA, and another 20 at AAA this year. If he dominates, he starts 2021 in AAA as the 6th or 7th starter behind Berrios, Odorizzi ( I think the Twins extend him), Maeda, Pineda and Thorpe/Dobnak. And that's assuming Bailey and Hill aren't part of the 2021 rotatuon. He can get a couple of MLB starts in 2021 as injury replacement and IF he's effective, can get his MLB chance in 2022. No need to rush him.

Why are we stuck with the old paradigm - too young, give him innings in all the minor leagues (even baseball does not really believe in it and they are trying to get rid of a big chunk of minor leagues. 

Rafeal Devers, Juan Soto, Ronald Acuna are just some of the young players that are being pushed to the majors.Even Graterol is a good example. I have no idea if Balazovic has that talent, but this baseball reference page https://www.baseball...t_leagues.shtml is enough for me to say - get them up before their arms fall off, not after.  

• Mike Sixel and bighat like this

#23 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,818 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 12:58 PM

The Twins are stretching out their 21 year-old Canadian right hander in AA this season....bold move indeed.

Meanwhile, the Braves were letting their 21 year-old Canadian right hander pitch in the majors for the 2nd straight year in 2019. He went 13-4 with a 2.68 ERA and made the All-Star team.

I love the team the Twins have on the field in 2020. But someone needs to tell this team that nobody cares about Pensacola winning a league title. When you find an elite player like Balazovic, have the cajones to get the guy up to the bigs and stop wasting his arm down on the farm.

Soroka threw 140+ innings not once, but twice in back-to-back minor league seasons...and then the following year, he still didn't break camp with the major league club. Balazovic has reach 93 innings (last year). I think the challenge with thinking/wanting Balazovic to be like Soroka...is that that has to happen at age 18. Unfortunately, there's probably not any amount of wishing at this point that can somehow make Balazovic prepared to do what Soraka did at age 21. I would think/hope the Twins will push his innings this year (pending health).

• birdwatcher, LA VIkes Fan, mikelink45 and 3 others like this

#24 dex8425

dex8425

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 235 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 01:08 PM

Why are we stuck with the old paradigm - too young, give him innings in all the minor leagues (even baseball does not really believe in it and they are trying to get rid of a big chunk of minor leagues. 

Rafeal Devers, Juan Soto, Ronald Acuna are just some of the young players that are being pushed to the majors.Even Graterol is a good example. I have no idea if Balazovic has that talent, but this baseball reference page https://www.baseball...t_leagues.shtml is enough for me to say - get them up before their arms fall off, not after.  

I'm pretty sure if Royce Lewis hit .360 in just about every level like Juan Soto than he would be with the Twins right now. Hey, the Twins promoted Arraez straight from AA and that worked pretty well. Arraez is younger than Devers.

• birdwatcher, Twins33, mikelink45 and 4 others like this

#25 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Fort Walton Beach Jets

• 1,284 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 02:58 PM

One was drafted 28th overall and threw 372.2 innings in 3+ minor league seasons. He threw more innings in the minors than the bigs in 2018. Has one real major league season under his belt.

The other was a 5th round pick who has thrown 227.2 innings in 4 minor league seasons. He's 21. If he makes the roster next year at 22 I think we will be just fine.

Yeah ... It wasn't an apples to apples comparison ... They are both just fruit from north of the border.

While I'd like to see Nick's ETA of 2022 end up looking conservative, I think Balazovic will need to dominate AA for at least a couple months while things go very poorly as the rotation comes together at the same time at the big league level for him to get a chance. 

With that said, if he puts up video game numbers in AA and is being allowed to go deep into games while doing so, I would certainly put him in the rear-view mirror of anyone in the rotation not performing as a playoff team starter should this season.

• mikelink45 likes this

#26 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,631 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 12:25 PM

I don't think Balazovic will throw more than 130-140 innings this season. That will be enough to set him up for 2021.

There should be no expectation he'll make the big league club this year. He spent the entire 2019 regular season at A+, followed by one AA playoff game. If he blows up AA the first half, then great - bring him up if he's needed. In the meantime, I'll trust the Twins FO on pitcher development.

I'm curious why. We have no real data, one way or the other, about pitching development for this FO. It's much too early, imo, to draw any conclusions.

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#27 dbminn

dbminn

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 828 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul, MN

Posted 20 February 2020 - 07:17 AM

I'm curious why. We have no real data, one way or the other, about pitching development for this FO. It's much too early, imo, to draw any conclusions.

The new Twins FO haven't pushed year-to-year IP increases for any starting pitcher prospects. Dobnak and Jax led the minors in IP and they were both 24 yrs old. Thorpe went from 83 to 129 IP from 2017-2018. That's the biggest increase so far.

#28 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,631 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 12:15 PM

The new Twins FO haven't pushed year-to-year IP increases for any starting pitcher prospects. Dobnak and Jax led the minors in IP and they were both 24 yrs old. Thorpe went from 83 to 129 IP from 2017-2018. That's the biggest increase so far.

I wasn't questioning the innings, but the conclusion that we should trust that they know what they are doing. We just, imo, don't know yet.

• dbminn likes this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#29 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• 4,449 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 03:27 PM

Mike, it's not too early to see a ton of hints. Enough to conclude that things are heading in the right direction, and fast:

Randy Dobnak, out of the independent leagues, 3 levels, some success

Taylor Rogers emerging as one of the best

Unheralded prospects emerging on the scene, like Colina, Balazovic, Sands, Duran, many others

Devin Smeltzer, relegated by his former club to relief, gets here, gets converted back, 2 levels, not overwhelmed whatsoever in MLB

Cody Stashak, from out of nowhere

Sean Poppen, from out of friggin' Hahvahd

Tyler Duffey, emerging as a force

Trevor May reincarnated

Ryne Harper rising from the scrap heap

Zack Littell, ratcheting it up

There's 10 strong hints.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jordan balazovic