Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Trevor Bauer Rant

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,075 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 04:56 PM

Trevor Bauer posted a video in which he rants on some interesting baseball topics...

In particular, he talked about things like the cleat policy and baseball's advanced media. About how well the NBA markets themselves on social media and how poorly MLB does. Where is the innovation? 

It's worth taking the one minute to listen to and then discuss.  

• SQUIRREL, Mike Frasier Law, DocBauer and 2 others like this

#2 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,961 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 05:11 PM

He's 100% right on everything. MLB is essentially the grave digger being paid to dig their own plot. Until they can resist the instant gratification of a quick buck upfront and start making decisions that support the long term health of the game, the hole will continue to get deeper. 

• DocBauer, David HK, tvagle and 4 others like this

#3 Dman

Dman

• 1,876 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 07:03 PM

I think he makes some good points.Baseball doesn't market itself where young people hangout and can get involved like Twitter among other sources.I think he is right that it likely is short sighted that the pay for content might make money now but by not keeping it open and engaging the younger generation then over time their fan-base will be gone.  

While I get his frustration with baseballs proposed rules changes and specifically the playoff changes I don't think they will be damaging to the game either.I guess his point is those changes won't help engage young fans because they are not hanging out on MLB.com but checking out Tweets, about flashy plays, and what players are saying etc.The changes baseball is making won't help them connect to the younger generation and I think he has a point.

None of my kids are interested in baseball or follow it or talk about.They all watch and follow football and even keep up with hockey some.Heck they even follow soccer more than baseball.  

I am not sure what the answers are but I do think Bauer has some interesting points.Right now there are still plenty of baseball fans but I think as time goes by in the next ten years or so if things don't change they literally might have trouble filling seats.

• Riverbrian and DocBauer like this

#4 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2020

• 10,273 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 12 February 2020 - 07:54 PM

Self serving:"Market the players". Most of the fans care about teams and not players.

And players like him who have no team loyalty can go (havefunwith) themselves

And they can wear any color cleats they want to while they are at it.

Period. Fullstop.

• jud6312, ewen21 and cardsfan like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#5 cardsfan

cardsfan

Ft Myers Miracle

• 372 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 08:02 PM

Trevor Bauer posted a video in which he rants on some interesting baseball topics...

In particular, he talked about things like the cleat policy and baseball's advanced media. About how well the NBA markets themselves on social media and how poorly MLB does. Where is the innovation?

It's worth taking the one minute to listen to and then discuss.

This NBA season: TV ratings on TNT are down 21%. 15% overall.
  • Tomj14 and DannySD like this

#6 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Pitch-to-contact poster

• Twins News Team
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 08:22 PM

This NBA season: TV ratings on TNT are down 21%. 15% overall.

That's part of his point though: that TV ratings as a measure of your league's popularity and exposure is completely outmoded.The NBA's presence on social media I'm sure completely surpasses MLB, perhaps100 fold; and it's social media how young people consume entertainment.  

• SQUIRREL, nicksaviking, raindog and 7 others like this

#7 Dman

Dman

• 1,876 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 07:47 AM

That's part of his point though: that TV ratings as a measure of your league's popularity and exposure is completely outmoded.The NBA's presence on social media I'm sure completely surpasses MLB, perhaps100 fold; and it's social media how young people consume entertainment.  

Totally agree with you.My kids don't watch TV there are too many commercials and they don't want to wait for what they watch they will go out and find it on You tube, or Netflix or amazon etc..They hangout on Facebook and Twitter and like to do snapchat.TV is not really a part of their life it is for old people.The times they are a change-in you can ignore it if you want but then you go the way of the Blackberry or horse and buggy at some point you are no longer relevant.

• scottz, Riverbrian, SF Twins Fan and 1 other like this

#8 dex8425

dex8425

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 231 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 08:43 AM

Self serving:"Market the players". Most of the fans care about teams and not players.

Period. Fullstop.

If you look at which U.S. counties have the angels as the team they follow most now, as opposed to the pre Mike Trout era, there is only one conclusion to draw: Mike Trout as a player is marketable. Also if you know Bauer you know he is a big Dodger fan. Trout has 1.7 million followers on instagram.

https://www.vividsea...by-state-county

• Dman, kenbuddha and SF Twins Fan like this

#9 Tyler Roepke

Tyler Roepke

Elizabethton Twins

• 12 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 10:12 AM

Man this guy annoys me for some reason but I do like how he calls people out intelligently. I also recall him claiming that Houston pitchers were using something to get more spin on their pitches. I believe that very well could have been possible after the recent news.

• scottz and Dman like this

#10 Dman

Dman

• 1,876 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 10:30 AM

Man this guy annoys me for some reason but I do like how he calls people out intelligently. I also recall him claiming that Houston pitchers were using something to get more spin on their pitches. I believe that very well could have been possible after the recent news.

Totally agree that he comes off as annoying and childish.I guess that can be how passion manifests itself but if he just used facts and a well thought out plan he would be more convincing.

• Tyler Roepke likes this

#11 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2020

• 10,273 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 13 February 2020 - 10:44 AM

If you look at which U.S. counties have the angels as the team they follow most now, as opposed to the pre Mike Trout era, there is only one conclusion to draw: Mike Trout as a player is marketable. Also if you know Bauer you know he is a big Dodger fan. Trout has 1.7 million followers on instagram.

https://www.vividsea...by-state-county

How many of Trout's fans are not Angels' fans?Will any Twins' fans ever follow White Sox' players?

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#12 Sssuperdave

Sssuperdave

• 183 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 10:56 AM

I've never like Trevor Bauer but I have to admit that I agree with pretty much everything he said, especially how MLB makes their content too hard to access, that the rule changes are kind of dumb, and that he cleat policy is dumb.

The only area where I disagree with Trevor is on the game length. I think length of game is a real problem the league needs to keep working to address.  I agree with him that there are other, bigger reasons MLB isn't connecting with younger fans, lack of social media engagement being a big one.

I guess I'd say shortening the games is a necessary but not sufficient step towards winning back fans.Trevor seems to be saying it's not even necessary. 

• REPETE likes this

#13 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,546 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 11:04 AM

I completely agree that the MLB is next to incompetent in marketing itself compared to the other sports.

However, it seems a bit contradictory that he then is against rule changes, most of which are modeled after the other sports or are geared towards bringing interest to younger fans.  

• Riverbrian and Dman like this

#14 Diesel

Diesel

Ft Myers Miracle

• 388 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 11:08 AM

He’s 100% right on everything. The marketing of players across the nation has been terrible. I personally remember a bunch of commercials with Mauer, Prince Fielder, Griffey, etc. Around here, a lot of my friends stopped being fans when the Twins took almost a decade off from relevancy, and are just back getting into it. FSN isn’t on every major cable provider, so a lot of people can’t even watch the games! Length of game isn’t an issue with streaming options, games just should start maybe half an hour earlier. Where have the ads been with Astudillo, Arraez, Kepler, Cruz, Sano?
  • SF Twins Fan likes this

#15 Dantes929

Dantes929

• 2,765 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 11:56 AM

Period. Fullstop.

Kind of the point. Most of the fans, myself included have loyalty to the team and not the players but that is how we grew up. Don't you think it is different with the younger generation?What players have team loyalty?Joe Mauer, Paul Konerko and Aaron Trout are the only ones that come to mind. Players are controlled for the first half dozen years or so and then sign extensions or free agency contracts that are good for them first, and good for the teams only as a byproduct. People say he is selfish but I find him rather refreshing.He is saying pay me well for the year I have just had.and we will go year by year.Is it somehow better to say pay me well for the next 8 years for the year I just had whether I pitch well or not.Is that how you define loyalty?

If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#16 NapoleonComplex

NapoleonComplex

• 104 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 11:58 AM

How many of Trout's fans are not Angels' fans?Will any Twins' fans ever follow White Sox' players?

I followed Frank Thomas while being a rabid Twins fan. I'm also a fan of Mike Trout without being a fan of the Angels. Being a fan of a team and a fan individual players are not mutually exclusive. Isn't it one of the reasons TD has a thread that follows former Twins players? Fans build bonds with players regardless of where they play.

• SQUIRREL, scottz, Twins33 and 2 others like this

#17 Bomba2026

Bomba2026

Ft Myers Miracle

• 318 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 12:03 PM

I still can't believe him sailing a 300 ft fastball into the outfield....he has things on his mind and Im glad he is not a Twin.

#18 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 25,495 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 12:16 PM

How many of Trout's fans are not Angels' fans? Will any Twins' fans ever follow White Sox' players?

Trout fans? I’d say quite a lot of baseball fans follow him, and I say that based solely on the comments here from people.

White Sox? I do, occasionally. I live in Chicago, and we play them a lot. I want to know local sports and I want to know who the Twins are up against. Now, I don’t necessarily follow them the way I do Twins players, but I do follow them enough to have some idea what we will be up against now and in the near future.

And I think Bauer has it right about marketing and abut all the pay for content. Heck, you can’t watch the Cubs this year, locally, unless you subscribe to their channel. At the very least MLB should say no to that. Talk abut bad for baseball, but good for baseball owners.
  • Dantes929 likes this

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#19 dex8425

dex8425

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 231 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 12:29 PM

Idk about the first question but I'll continue to watch Trevor May's youtube channel no matter what team he is on next season. And I'll keep watching Trevor Bauer's youtube channel no matter what team he's on. 

The growth of baseball in the past couple years has been on social media, specifically in all these specific baseball youtube channels, like jomboy, fuzzy, matt antonelli, domingo ayala, foolish baseball, etc. They are exploding. Kids are on youtube. I'm not even that young and I watch a lot of yt videos. 

• raindog and Diesel like this

#20 dex8425

dex8425

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 231 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 12:34 PM

I still can't believe him sailing a 300 ft fastball into the outfield....he has things on his mind and Im glad he is not a Twin.

I think it'd be awesome if he was on the Twins.

Did you watch the rest of that half inning? Actually, did you watch that whole start? He explained it here

• SQUIRREL and Dantes929 like this