Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Samuel Deduno Outrighted to Rochester

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,445 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:44 PM

In a busy afternoon of Twins news, the latest is that Samuel Deduno has been outrighted to AAA Rochester. He is now off of the 40 man roster. After not being claimed by another team, he will at least stay in the Twins organization, which I am happy about. As much as he may not have much control and walks too many, I maintain that the word "Intriguing" still applies to him.

#2 freightmaster

freightmaster

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:07 PM

Deduno might have the best stuff in baseball. You have to be willing to take the walks with the performance, but no thats way too thinky for the twins...he is better right now than every starter but Diamond and has better stuff...but the twins will botch this too

#3 mikeee

mikeee

• Members
  • 803 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:09 PM

the wild man!!!!

#4 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:13 PM

alexi casilla claimed by baltimore, i figured he would end up in detroit

#5 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:14 PM

Deduno might have the best stuff in baseball. You have to be willing to take the walks with the performance, but no thats way too thinky for the twins...he is better right now than every starter but Diamond and has better stuff...but the twins will botch this too

dont worry terry ryan knows what he is doing , there will be plenty of pitcher in febuary wanting to come to minnesota

#6 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

Old Geezer

• Members
  • 1,374 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:27 PM

31 other teams passed, the guy will be 30 next summer, had a 4.44 era and 1.54 whip. If we need him in the rotation get ready for another last place finish.

May all our prospects be All Stars and the beer be free.

#7 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:29 PM

31 other teams passed, the guy will be 30 next summer, had a 4.44 era and 1.54 whip. If we need him in the rotation get ready for another last place finish.

so that means he was 1 run better then the rest of our starters?

#8 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:29 PM

Has he been invited to ST for possible consideration for promotion--or is this the end-of-the-line for Deduno?

#9 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:31 PM

Deduno was/is a fringe pitcher for the AL's worst/MLBs 4th worst team, so its no surprise that every team passed on him. He is junk & only able to contribute as a 10th/11th type starter in a messed up season. Glad to hear they outrighted him, meaning they have no plans for him to make the staff out of spring training.

#10 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:31 PM

Has he been invited to ST for possible consideration for promotion--or is this the end-of-the-line for Deduno?

unless ryan trades all of our top 20 prospects and willingham,morneau,mauer and span , deuno will be back

#11 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Hydraulic Choppers

• Members
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:34 PM

I fully endorse this move.

"Intriguing" or "a joy to watch" (copyright Dick Bremer) are the kinds of things you say about a guy who you just have to trot out there because you don't have better options.

#12 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,445 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:41 PM

It was clearly the right thing to remove him from the 40 man roster, and I think it's great that he cleared and can pitch at Rochester. I'm sure he'll come to spring training.

#13 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,286 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:42 PM

Do we know whether Deduno accepted the assignment yet? He could pull a Walters (who denied the assignment, became a FA and was re-signed at a MiLB contract with a ST invite by the Twins...). If they outrighted him today, he has a couple days to do that...
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#14 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:48 PM

so earlier today rumors leaked out that curly chased santana and his 5.19 era as a starter for 2013 , when that failed ryan outrighted samuel deuno and his sub 4.50 era....hummm guess curly and the 3 stooges know what there doing

#15 Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed

• Members
  • 827 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:51 PM

Roch will need pitchers, Twins will need help at some point in the season from the minors. Walters/ Dude give them a couple of decent AAA guys to help the Wings.

#16 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,286 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:54 PM

Per JoeC Deduno has not yet decided whether he will accept the assignment or become a FA. JoeC talked to his agent.
-----

#17 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,445 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:55 PM

http://www.startribu.../177002651.html

Joe Christensen has updated his blog saying the Deduno (according to his agent) has not yet decided. He is weighing his options but most likely will resign with the Twins.

#18 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:02 PM

hahaha twins need pitching , pitching, and more pitching , then designate there 2nd best starter hahahaha

#19 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Hydraulic Choppers

• Members
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:12 PM

Per JoeC Deduno has not yet decided whether he will accept the assignment or become a FA. JoeC talked to his agent.

You mean your inside source didn't already know that? :cool:

#20 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,286 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:25 PM

You mean your inside source didn't already know that? :cool:

Nope... I don't have any Twins' sources ;)
-----

#21 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,445 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:30 PM

hahaha twins need pitching , pitching, and more pitching , then designate there 2nd best starter hahahaha

Yup, and they didn't lose him (yet, hopefully he doesn't opt to go elsewhere), so he's still around... hopefully there'll be 3-5 better options by spring training.

#22 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,286 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:49 PM

Yup, and they didn't lose him (yet, hopefully he doesn't opt to go elsewhere), so he's still around... hopefully there'll be 3-5 better options by spring training.

Already are 4-5 better options (depends on who is counting) : Diamond, DeVries, Gibson, Hendriks, Baker. But I hope that they get at least 2 pitchers better than Diamond and have DeVries and Hendriks fight for the 5th spot and keep it warm until Gibson is well-rested.
-----

#23 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:35 PM

I think, with the timing of these moves, that players have longer to decide if they're going to accept their assignment or not. In fact, I think they all have until tomorrow/midnight tonight (or in some cases, longer) to decide if they're going to become minor league free agents or not. I would be surprised if any of them simply accept the assignment. (BA usually releases the list of minor league free agents within a couple of days of free agency starting.)

(After the previous moves - Walters, Waldrop, etc - there was a quote from TR saying he "hoped to re-sign" a couple of them, so I'm under the assumption that if they have the required service time, they'll take the free agency.)

#24 Rick Blaine

Rick Blaine

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:46 PM

Doesn't Deduno have some health issues? Eyesight issues or dizziness or something? Maybe TR and company didn't like what they saw.

#25 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:56 PM

ROC now boasts retread starters Nick Blackburn, Sam Deduno, PJ Walters, Cole DeVries, Pedro Hernandez & probably Kyle Gibson & Liam Hendriks. Doesnt bode well for BJ Hermsen or David Bromberg getting to AAA.
Hopefully that means they wont sign any more retread pitchers as they've already signed Aaron Thompson & Shairon Martis back also

#26 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:58 PM

ROC now boasts retread starters Nick Blackburn, Sam Deduno, PJ Walters, Cole DeVries, Pedro Hernandez & probably Kyle Gibson & Liam Hendriks. Doesnt bode well for BJ Hermsen or David Bromberg getting to AAA.
Hopefully that means they wont sign any more retread pitchers as they've already signed Aaron Thompson & Shairon Martis back also

Wouldn't Baker count as a retread? It seems to me that he will likely start at AAA for whoever signs him.