Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Marwin Gonzalez Addresses Media, Expresses Regret

marwin gonzalez jose berrios rich hill
  • Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#21 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,807 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 03:22 PM

Is he more guilty than Polanco or Pineda because he hasn't been punished? He's not in control of punishment. Was his 'apology' any more dissatisfying than the 'apologies' offered by Polanco and Pineda? No and No. I'll say it again to anyone that can't stand the idea of Gonzalez being on the club: would you like the Twins to drop Polanco and Pineda as well?

• Seth Stohs, SD Buhr, goulik and 4 others like this

#22 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Baseball and thought

• 8,793 posts
  • LocationThe ballpark of the mind

Posted 11 February 2020 - 03:23 PM

Is he more guilty than Polanco or Pineda because he hasn't been punished? He's not in control of punishment. Was his 'apology' any more dissatisfying than the 'apologies' offered by Polanco and Pineda? No and No. I'll say it again to anyone that can't stand the idea of Gonzalez being on the club: would you like the Twins to drop Polanco and Pineda as well?

And probably Nelson Cruz.

• Tomj14 likes this
"Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars." - Old Serbian proverb

#23 scottz

scottz

• 750 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 03:37 PM

Would you like it to remain a distraction for him and the team? What else can he say? He took part in it. His apology seems sincere. Time to move on. 

I definitely don't want it to be a distraction to the team. However, I don't think he should get to dictate the timeline of discussing it just because he said he was remorseful.

I'm not sure what else he could say, but I'm certain there are other questions that could be asked where his answers could also be sincere.

• Marwin, what do you think of Mike Bolsinger's lawsuit?
  • Marwin, do you think you had an unfair advantage by receiving signals from your teammates?
  • Marwin, without naming names, was there anyone on the 2017 team that stated or suggested during the season that what the team was doing should stop?
  • Marwin, have you spoken to any of your 2017 Astros teammates or manager about this issue since the story broke?
  • Marwin, your team won the World Series in 2017. Does this story change how you feel or think about that season?

I'm sure I could come up with more questions that could be asked of him. But you know, we're done talking about it now.

• birdwatcher, Blake, DocBauer and 3 others like this

#24 spycake

spycake

• 17,693 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 03:41 PM

I'm sure I could come up with more questions that could be asked of him. But you know, we're done talking about it now.

Buy the book! Available soon in the Twins Pro Shop.

• birdwatcher and scottz like this

#25 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,155 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 03:45 PM

Complete bs. Only reason for the regret is because he along with that cheating team got caught.

The punishment was a joke and the commish has zero clue when dealing with anything baseball. I will stay on topic but times like these I want Selig in there.

I agree with your second sentence above. The second paragraph is true.

But, I am curious what more people want Marwin Gonzalez (or others) to say at this point? He expressed regret. He can't really do any more than that.

• goulik, tarheeltwinsfan and wallyrichards like this

#26 adjacent

adjacent

• 258 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 03:57 PM

I think, as most expression of regret in situations like this, we can just ignore them. They say what the PR person tell them to say. 

• birdwatcher and Tomj14 like this

#27 scottz

scottz

• 750 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 04:09 PM

But, I am curious what more people want Marwin Gonzalez (or others) to say at this point? He expressed regret. He can't really do any more than that.

I didn't read a full transcript of what was said today. I'm certain there are other questions people would want him to speak about.

Why can't he do more than what he did? There literally is no punishment for the players. He can't do more than saying he regrets it?

I'm not of the camp that says all the players should be kicked out, never to play again or anything like that (though I would favor some form of punishment or fine). I'm also not of the camp that says society gets to decide when someone is forgiven for whatever public wrong they have done. But it strikes me that Marwin (and probably others) wants to be seen as being remorseful without really having to answer any tough questions. And I understand wanting that - wanting it to go away. But the way to make it go away isn't by saying "I regret it" AND "I won't talk about it any more."

• Doctor Wu likes this

#28 lukeduke1980

lukeduke1980

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 515 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 04:11 PM

I mean, he's the first position player to apologize, so that's something. Bregman and Altuve's comments were disgusting and really made me dislike both of them even more.

I'm still convinced they used buzzers (and/or some other way of using codebreaker in real time to the hitter without using banging) but the commissioner's report did not mention that. 

I think the MLB is trying to sweep this under the rug as quickly as possible. I think there's a correlation between the release of the new playoff format and AJ Hinch's press conference where he didn't deny using buzzers as well. MLB wants so badly to make everyone think it was just the trashcans for that one season and for everyone to move on. 

As a fan I don't mind the circus of intrigue and conspiracy, and maybe MLB doesn't either if the buzzers were in fact pure nonsense.Astros road attendance will probably be up this year.

#29 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Baseball and thought

• 8,793 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 04:20 PM

I agree with your second sentence above. The second paragraph is true.

It sounds like seppuku may be necessary. Aired on ESPN pay-per-view, of course.

• Mike Sixel, scottz, raindog and 1 other like this
"Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars." - Old Serbian proverb

#30 scottz

scottz

• 750 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 04:26 PM

It sounds like seppuku may be necessary. Aired on ESPN pay-per-view, of course.

As long as it is remorseful seppuku.

• Brock Beauchamp and Doctor Wu like this

#31 cardsfan

cardsfan

Ft Myers Miracle

• 377 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 04:33 PM

The intern who developed an Excel app used for stealing signs that the Astros GM embraced has been promoted in the front office. I don't think Luhnow will ever get a job. Luhnow saying he didn't read long emails referencing this app is laughable. He should have said I never started out doing something like this. I lost my way.

It's hard to believe the owner isn't aware.
  • adjacent likes this

#32 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

Ft Myers Miracle

• 274 posts
  • LocationBelo Horizonte, Brazil

Posted 11 February 2020 - 04:39 PM

I mean, he's the first position player to apologize, so that's something. Bregman and Altuve's comments were disgusting and really made me dislike both of them even more.

I'm still convinced they used buzzers (and/or some other way of using codebreaker in real time to the hitter without using banging) but the commissioner's report did not mention that. 

I think the MLB is trying to sweep this under the rug as quickly as possible. I think there's a correlation between the release of the new playoff format and AJ Hinch's press conference where he didn't deny using buzzers as well. MLB wants so badly to make everyone think it was just the trashcans for that one season and for everyone to move on. 

It`s all common knowledge & the Commissioner didn`t want to do anything until someone let it slip in an interview & it became public & the Astros got caught. The same thing about the buzzers. I believe Boston & NYY were given a warning but nothing was done, they still probably did it last year. I wish some "remorseful" players from all the team which practiced this would come forward so those teams could be punished & all the victims could be justified. 

Gonzalez probably advised the Twins when they played the Astros to change their signs more frequently because the Twins had good results against them last year

#33 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 6,270 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 04:41 PM

I don't dislike Marwin. I don't know the man but don't recall ever hearing anything bad about him until this event. I want to believe he is a good guy who got wrapped up in something bad around him. I believe in forgiveness and second chances for people. I want to believe he truly is remorseful and regrets it all.

But he was part of it for 3 years. He never said anything, that I can recall, after all of this broke until now. Why not?

I will root for him because he is on my favorite team. I will root for him hoping he really is that good guy. I will root for him because I believe in those second chances I mentioned.

I can only read the words, I wasn't there. And maybe I'm becoming a bit jaded as I get older, but I hear "sorry we got caught and are embarrassed now. Oh, and we're done."

I honestly hope there is more to it than that.
  • scottz, goulik and Wyorev like this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#34 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Baseball and thought

• 8,793 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 04:45 PM

It was probably someone else's idea to end the discussion. I can think of several possible interested parties.

• Vanimal46 likes this

#35 adjacent

adjacent

• 258 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 04:52 PM

It`s all common knowledge & the Commissioner didn`t want to do anything until someone let it slip in an interview & it became public & the Astros got caught. The same thing about the buzzers. I believe Boston & NYY were given a warning but nothing was done, they still probably did it last year. I wish some "remorseful" players from all the team which practiced this would come forward so those teams could be punished & all the victims could be justified. 

Gonzalez probably advised the Twins when they played the Astros to change their signs more frequently because the Twins had good results against them last year

You know, now I am getting paranoid about the games in Yankee stadium last year that the Yankees seemed to be on every pitch

• scottz, tarheeltwinsfan and Doctor Wu like this

#36 woolywoolhouse

woolywoolhouse

• 343 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 05:12 PM

For the entirety of the 2020 season, every player from the 2017 Astros should have to have their home walk-up music replaced with a song from "Stomp" (the Broadway musical where the percussion is all trash can lids banging.)
  • jbissell likes this

SblamiVvl-SFSfi_8yN5GGvjJk0=.gif

#37 scottz

scottz

• 750 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 05:16 PM

You know, now I am getting paranoid about the games in Yankee stadium last year that the Yankees seemed to be on every pitch

I hate being paranoid, but I am in the same boat. I asked one of the Fangraphs writers in a chat yesterday about the possibility that this was still occurring last year in the playoffs. (It did not make the chat and therefore was unanswered.)

I tend to think the Yankees just beat us fair and square, but Berrios and Dobnak in particular didn't seem to get any chases at the bottom of the zone. I remember the announcers saying that they needed to change the Yankees eyes - that the Twins pitchers were only working down in the zone, so that is what I assume was happening. But who knows?

#38 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,629 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 05:21 PM

I don't dislike Marwin. I don't know the man but don't recall ever hearing anything bad about him until this event. I want to believe he is a good guy who got wrapped up in something bad around him. I believe in forgiveness and second chances for people. I want to believe he truly is remorseful and regrets it all.

But he was part of it for 3 years. He never said anything, that I can recall, after all of this broke until now. Why not?

I will root for him because he is on my favorite team. I will root for him hoping he really is that good guy. I will root for him because I believe in those second chances I mentioned.

I can only read the words, I wasn't there. And maybe I'm becoming a bit jaded as I get older, but I hear "sorry we got caught and are embarrassed now. Oh, and we're done."

I honestly hope there is more to it than that.

I won't root for him, just as I didn't root for AP. I hope he strikes out every AB and gets sent to the minors. Like all of them. 

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#39 Homerhankie

Homerhankie

Elizabethton Twins

• 24 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 05:28 PM

Most of have done worse, I know I had, let us forgive others, not burn them at the stake.
  • SQUIRREL and tarheeltwinsfan like this

#40 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• 4,449 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 05:29 PM

Buy the book! Available soon in the Twins Pro Shop.

With a Forward by Commissioner Manfred.

I don't give a rat's tail about league punishment of players. I'd prefer the ballplaying cheaters to be subjected to the court of public opinion, but we know THAT's not gonna happen either. Nope. He's done talking. Grrr.

Until the commissioner is hired and reports to an independent outside Board of Directors instead of being employed directly by the people most in need of oversight, he's guarding the chicken coop like a good soldier. Us chickens will be cheated on by the game again, and soon.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: marwin gonzalez, jose berrios, rich hill