Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Twins Daily 2020 Top Prospects: #7 Ryan Jeffers

ryan jeffers
  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,154 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 03:58 PM

I am happy that Jeffers has made these improvements, yet, scratching my head when I see him at #7 and Rortvedt not in your top 20.

Was not Rortvedt the first promoted from A to AA last spring?Is not Rortvedt the better defensive catcher insofar as throwing out runners and controlling the running game?Is not Rortvedt the superior catcher as far as blocking the ball in the dirt?Although he doesn't have Jeffers power, wasn't Rortvedt hiting very well prior to his knee injury?

Not saying that Jeffers hasn't improved more than any Twin in his draft class.Just find it puzzling that he is #7 and Rortvedt is nowhere to be seen.  

The one thing I keep seeing is everyone raving about his pitch framing.I know that is the current in thing for rating catchers defense these days.Well, that is going to go away when big league baseball goes to robo umps in a few years and framing will add zero value.Perhaps then we can get back to rating catchers on values of the past, blocking balls, throwing out runners and handling their pitchers.

Roger,

I definitely am a fan of Rortvedt, and I love the Wisconsin love for Rortvedt. 

But from a prospect status standpoint, the two aren't particularly close. I think Rortvedt will play in the big leagues, and could play for ten years. Jeffers could be an All Star. I had Jeffers 7 and Rortvedt 30, and I feel pretty good about that. And also, that continues to speak volumes about the Twins depth in the minor leagues when a guy I think can be a long-term big leaguer ranks #30. In many organizations, Rortvedt is easily top 20. Jeffers is probably Top 5 in a majority of organizations. 

#22 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,805 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 03:58 PM

It's all about whether he will function effectively as a catcher in the major leagues. Highly questionable according to many reports when he was drafted. If that's trending favorably, and significantly so...which it seems to be doing...that would be huge.

#23 High heat

High heat

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 126 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 07:14 PM

Are both Rortvedt and Jeffers going to split time at AA to start the season? You could have Tomas Telis Graterol and The turtle at AAA. A lot of catching at the top minor league ranks.

#24 jrod23

jrod23

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 201 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 08:21 PM

Love that the appreciation for Jeffer's game and work ethic are coming through.I do like Rortvedt, but I agree completely with Seth.Jeffer's game has such a higher ceiling than Ben's.

The one thing I keep seeing is everyone raving about his pitch framing.I know that is the current in thing for rating catchers defense these days.Well, that is going to go away when big league baseball goes to robo umps in a few years and framing will add zero value.Perhaps then we can get back to rating catchers on values of the past, blocking balls, throwing out runners and handling their pitchers.

...however.This?What rdehring states?This scares me.Don't know how I haven't looked at it from this perspective yet.How lazy are our catchers going to get with no one on base?It's going to be gross how they accept a ball.Will past balls increase or decrease?Not liking that aspect of "robo umps".

#25 JLease

JLease

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 739 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 10:11 AM

Spoiler: Graterol will still be on our list, which started rolling out before the trade was announced. So that might help a bit with the math.

Another spoiler: Rortvedt finished #21 in our rankings. So if you remove Graterol now that he's gone, BR is in the Top 20. 

Ha! I was close.

#26 mlhouse

mlhouse

• 756 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 08:26 PM

Personally I have no idea what people are talking about with his defense.I have actually watched him play several times and he is not a good defensive catcher.He is a huge guy and he lacks mobility behind the plate and his footwork was not very good on his throws to second even in between innings just throwing down.He hasa powerful arm but it lacked accuracy.

Maybe when they are talking about his defense they consider the running game to be so devalued now in professional baseball that these attributes do not matter to them.Maybe he has improved so much in his short time after he left Ft. Myers that these claims are true.

But, personally, I think they are exaggerated. If he comes to the major league level as a somewhat below average catcher that would be what should be expected.If you are expecting a catcher that is average or above average defensively you will be disappointed. 

On edit: I do also think that his hit/power tool will be sufficient enough if he continues to develop that he can play catcher at MLB level even though he is a below average defensive catcher.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ryan jeffers