Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Proposed Playoff Expansion with a Reality TV Twist

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#21 Diesel

Diesel

Ft Myers Miracle

• 421 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 08:36 PM

Trevor Bauer on the proposed changes: “No idea who made this new playoff format proposal, but Rob is responsible for releasing it, so I’ll direct this to you, Rob Manfred. Your proposal is absurd for too many reasons to type on twitter and proves you have absolutely no clue about baseball. You’re a joke.“
Bauer is a loose cannon, but he’s right.
  • Steve Lein, scottz, diehardtwinsfan and 8 others like this

#22 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• 1,004 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 08:39 PM

Looks like another example of fixing something that’s not broken.

Problem in baseball right now is the fact that a team is either tanking or cresting, and there is no in-between.

The current system is based on draft position and conserving cash for future runs.

This is a trial balloon by MLB to see if the public will buy in. 

Imagine a team trying to tank, who then gets a chance to beat the Yankees in a three-game series. 

Their fans, their hopes, their players, so held down, so without aspiration, suddenly exposed in front of the nation for the actions of their Front Office -- all the trade deadline deals, all the Injured List players -- I mean, you kind of gotta love the concept of saying "Your moment, in your opinion is not now, but in reality, it is now, and, what do you got?" 

What do you got?That's what baseball is saying with this system. There is no place to hide under this system.

I'm not sure, but, I kind of like it.

• Dman, JoshDungan1, Vanimal46 and 1 other like this

#23 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Getting Ready to Show Up to ST in the Best Shape of My Life!

• 13,393 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 February 2020 - 08:56 PM

Problem in baseball right now is the fact that a team is either tanking or cresting, and there is no in-between.

The current system is based on draft position and conserving cash for future runs.

Imagine a team trying to tank, who then gets a chance to beat the Yankees in a three-game series.

Their fans, their hopes, their players, so held down, so without aspiration, suddenly exposed in front of the nation for the actions of their Front Office -- all the trade deadline deals, all the Injured List players -- I mean, you kind of gotta love the concept of saying "Your moment, in your opinion is not now, but in reality, it is now, and, what do you got?"

What do you got? That's what baseball is saying with this system. There is no place to hide under this system.

This is a good point. Baseball has a tanking problem right now after Houston and the Cubs perfected the tear it all down rebuild to a championship.

As much as I’d like to see more teams trying to win, I don’t know if I want to see more teams make the playoffs. There’s something to be said about being a top team in the league/conference. I think making the playoffs is a privilege, and should be difficult to make.

In other sports like NBA and NHL, where you need to be better than 50% or less of your opponents? There’s not much excitement making the playoffs... Out of the 4 major sports, it’s the most difficult to make the playoffs in baseball, with only 5 out of 15 teams earning the right. I think 7 is too many teams, but maybe 6 is a good compromise?
  • Danchat likes this

#24 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• 3,123 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 09:03 PM

Trevor Bauer on the proposed changes: “No idea who made this new playoff format proposal, but Rob is responsible for releasing it, so I’ll direct this to you, Rob Manfred. Your proposal is absurd for too many reasons to type on twitter and proves you have absolutely no clue about baseball. You’re a joke.“
Bauer is a loose cannon, but he’s right.

I was just logging on to type this.

I applaud his candor and indifference to calling out his boss. I'm going to try that tomorrow.

• IndianaTwin, JoshDungan1, KidBro and 2 others like this

#25 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• 7,175 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 10 February 2020 - 09:07 PM

This is a good point. Baseball has a tanking problem right now after Houston and the Cubs perfected the tear it all down rebuild to a championship.

As much as I’d like to see more teams trying to win, I don’t know if I want to see more teams make the playoffs. There’s something to be said about being a top team in the league/conference. I think making the playoffs is a privilege, and should be difficult to make.

In other sports like NBA and NHL, where you need to be better than 50% or less of your opponents? There’s not much excitement making the playoffs... Out of the 4 major sports, it’s the most difficult to make the playoffs in baseball, with only 5 out of 15 teams earning the right. I think 7 is too many teams, but maybe 6 is a good compromise?

On top of that, too many teams making the playoffs make the regular season irrelevant. Heck, playoff hockey is referred to as "the second season."

#26 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,163 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 09:30 PM

What do you got?That's what baseball is saying with this system. There is no place to hide under this system.

I’ve been thinking about tanking for the draft. You could set the following season’s draft order something like this:

1. Final team eliminated from postseason play the previous year
2. Lottery selection among worst records previous year
3. Second to last team to be eliminated from postseason (Twins in 2015 were this team)
4. Second lottery selection of worst record
5. Third to last team eliminated
6. Worst record of teams remaining
7. Fourth to last team eliminated or Wild Card losers
8. Next worst record of teams remaining

And so on, or something like that, instead of guaranteeing the top pick to last year’s worst record.
  • South Dakota Tom likes this
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#27 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• 1,560 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 09:47 PM

I was just logging on to type this.

I applaud his candor and indifference to calling out his boss. I'm going to try that tomorrow.

I recommend indeed.com for your job search.

• Danchat, Sconnie, Hosken Bombo Disco and 1 other like this

#28 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,309 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 09:48 PM

I thought this was a parody article at first.

If they really want to fix something, shorten the season by a hair.

I love the marathon of MLB, but September call-ups make it mostly unwatchable.

Drop it to a 154 games, move the playoffs up in the calendar to slightly warmer weather. Have fewer callups (I know they already changed that).

A bye week? Seriously? In baseball? Ug.

• scottz, TopGunn#22 and Dave The Dastardly like this

#29 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,579 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 10:03 PM

I must be missing something, none of this sounds like a huge game changer. What is everyone one disliking? Seven playoff teams instead of six, that’s nothing compared to when it was only four, or two.

The initial playoff matchups being determined by the team with the best record? Sounds fair, what’s the issue with that?
  • USAFChief, Riverbrian and Dman like this

#30 D.C Twins

D.C Twins

Ft Myers Miracle

• 496 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 10:19 PM

Apparently the MLB wants to go to great lengths to make the 162 game season irrelevant....

• 70charger, notoriousgod71, Danchat and 2 others like this

#31 David HK

David HK

Minnesota Twins

• 3,503 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 11 February 2020 - 07:50 AM

Oh, for God's sake.

What, does Manfred have a 9yr old nephew in charge of things now? The whole concept is utterly ridiculous. What's the point of 162 games if everybody and their barely-above-.500 brother gets into the playoffs? 

Or maybe MLB is trying to head off the development of a new X-MLB league, with all their newfangled no-fair-catch rules and stuff.

For God's sake, what a stupid idea.

• 70charger and bighat like this

#32 TopGunn#22

TopGunn#22

• 157 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 07:59 AM

Shaitan and Nicksaviking have the right idea.I've thought for a LONG time that baseball needs to move to a 154 game season so that the World Series is played closer to mid-October and not Halloween/Nov. 1st.I'm pretty luke warm about this proposal, but if ANYTHING good could come of it, it would be that baseball would be forced to shorten the regular season so that the playoffs don't end up in November.  

#33 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,206 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 11 February 2020 - 08:29 AM

I've always thought the slow pace of baseball mirrors the overall theme - that this is a sport that creates fans for a lifetime. Fans of every team are expected to endure "dark times" and "down years" that can last for many seasons. Fans can even enjoy those rebuilding years and use that time to focus on prospects. Remember when we'd read stories about Byron Buxton and Miguel Sano hanging out together down Ft. Myers and think "someday we're gonna be good"!

Patience is rewarded, and it makes it all the more satisfying when your team starts to perform after a drought. That's part of the game, that's how baseball's always been in my lifetime. And it's not 100% about winning or losing - it's about killing time listening on the back porch after you get done mowing the lawn, fishing, or just having a game on in the background late on a Thursday night when the team's on the West Coast.

This proposal is another example of how baseball is trying to get away from being "America's Pastime" and trying to become "America's XTREME Fever Factory".We've got obnoxious dubstep being blasted in the stadium between pitches. We've got players wearing buzzers and using iPhones to cheat. The commissioner is now advocating some kind of free-for-all bloodbath playoff rule.

For me, the details of this proposal don't have me clutching my pearls. But I do think it's going in the wrong direction. When I see rule suggestions like this, I know it's not the end, but just the beginning of what will eventually make the sport unrecognizable.

And yes, I know there are problems. Fans don't show up in Miami and St. Pete. But that should be Miami's problem, and St. Pete's problem. Don't change the sport because a couple of franchises screwed up. Address their problems individually.

• 70charger, Hosken Bombo Disco, Taildragger8791 and 2 others like this

#34 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,764 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 11 February 2020 - 08:38 AM

I don't see what the huge uproar is all about. I'm old school, but They're not going back to 2 leagues, winners make the WS. Expansion of the postseason has been going on for a long time now, and further expansion is probably inevitable.

They'd be adding 2 teams per league to the postseason, which is probably a bad idea overall, but understandable from a money and marketing perspective. If they're going to add 2 teams, this isn't a terrible idea. I actually like the idea of the better teams getting the chance to pick their opponant. Best record, and winning your division, would still matter. Best of three instead of 1 game shots for the first round.

• nicksaviking, Riverbrian, Dman and 1 other like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#35 PDX Twin

PDX Twin

Portland Beavers

• 1,413 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 11 February 2020 - 08:51 AM

Relegation would solve the tanking problem. Three 10-team divisions. Bottom 2 (or 3) teams get relegated each year and top 2 or 3 promoted. Lower divisions get less TV/advertising money, so there is a strong incentive to avoid the bottom spots. Could add a firm salary cap to mitigate the "rich get richer" implications.

Playoffs would have a few teams from the first division, plus the champions of divisions 2 and 3. If division 3 champ wins the World Series it gets a double promotion to division 1.

• scottz and Taildragger8791 like this

It's great to get out of the cellar ... as long as you bring something with you.

#36 AWOLNATION_11

AWOLNATION_11

• 70 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 08:53 AM

I'd rather they make changes such as this to the playoff format and leave the actual game itself alone. I don't think having a few more playoff games is going to change how I watch/appreciate the game, but too many rule changes may. 

#37 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2020

• 10,283 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 11 February 2020 - 08:55 AM

There are better solutions to this problem, including, both a spending floor and a spending ceiling (something like floor is 75% of previous season's average and ceiling is 125%) and non-guaranteed contracts.

Just like the NFL.Lots of parity there.

Baseball is enough of a dog and pony show, no need to make it worse.

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#38 laloesch

laloesch

• 1,923 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 09:03 AM

What is this, The Bachelor? Will the Yankees give the Twins a rose every year in the playoffs? This is a bad idea.

Wow! Absolutely stupid. Hate this awful idea. They are really grasping at straws now when the solutions are staring them in the face.Here are some better ideas.

1. Shorten the season back to 154 games like it was prior to 1961

2. Get rid of the DH. There is absolutely no reason to have pitchers whiffing at the ball during the regular season in one league meanwhile the other one allows the DH. Just silly considering that the NL and AL have been totally merged under the commissioner for 20 seasons now.  

3. Bring two more teams into the league and balance the NL and AL to 16 teams each. Some reorganization will be necessary.

4. Get rid of inter-league play as it drags out the season and is mostly pointless.

5. Cut back the commercials to the bare minimum and get as close to a 2 hour game average as possible. No more ridiculous 4 hour games during the regular season. The NHL and NBA have it right around 2 hours.Even AAA is more reasonable at has 2-1/4 - 2-1/2 hour games.Idea is to speed up play.

6. If a batter steps out of the box at any time during the at-bat (except in the case of a hit, equipment failure, injury or being hit by a pitch) he is automatically out. Idea is to speed up play.

7. If a pitcher steps off the mound after an at-bat has commenced it is an automatic walk for the batter (except in case of an injury or equipment failure). Idea is to speed up play.

#39 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Getting Ready to Show Up to ST in the Best Shape of My Life!

• 13,393 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 11 February 2020 - 10:01 AM

I don't see what the huge uproar is all about. I'm old school, but They're not going back to 2 leagues, winners make the WS. Expansion of the postseason has been going on for a long time now, and further expansion is probably inevitable.

They'd be adding 2 teams per league to the postseason, which is probably a bad idea overall, but understandable from a money and marketing perspective. If they're going to add 2 teams, this isn't a terrible idea. I actually like the idea of the better teams getting the chance to pick their opponant. Best record, and winning your division, would still matter. Best of three instead of 1 game shots for the first round.

After sleeping on this, the thing I disagree with most on this proposal is 7 teams making the playoffs. If they want to manufacture DRAMA by having a live TV event to select the playoff matchups, fine. At the end of the day it’s not a big deal.

Expanding to 7 teams, however, takes drama away from the regular season. Specifically the pennant race in September. I’m not excited about watching 2-3 82 win teams fight for the last playoff spot.
  • 70charger, Danchat, David HK and 2 others like this

#40 Taildragger8791

Taildragger8791

• 975 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 10:14 AM

I'm not a fan of diluting the playoff field any further. Since the wildcard expansion I haven't been too disappointed with teams missing the postseason that really deserved to be there.You have 162 games (should be 154) to make your case and earn a spot. Make that long grueling 6 months of hard work and competition count for something. Considering how volatile and random baseball is, I think that large sample size does a good job weeding out the weaker teams that don't deserve even a roll of the dice in the postseason.

Expanding the WC round to a 3-game series makes sense to me though.

A made-for-television Bachelor-style selection ceremony for postseason opponents is stupid, but whatever. I won't lose any sleep over it but I'll certainly make fun of it. It just screams misguided out-of-touch leadership to me.

• 70charger, Vanimal46, David HK and 1 other like this