Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Twins Daily 2020 Top Prospects: #8 SS Keoni Cavaco

keoni cavaco byron buxton royce lewis joe mauer torii hunter
  • Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 DannySD

DannySD

Elizabethton Twins

• 46 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 10 February 2020 - 12:50 PM

We're comparing him to Trout? Dear lord. For now we can start by comparing him to Nick Gordon, then maybe move him up the comparison ladder if he happens to be better than Nick. That's about 50-50 at this point, and I'd give Gordon the better floor and better chance at a long major league career. 

• Minny505 and jkcarew like this

#22 etwink

etwink

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 91 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 10 February 2020 - 02:05 PM

I think everyone needs to relax about the Trout comp.  Howie has already said it wasn’t backed up with data.

Having said that, this does seem like a high ranking, but the kid has had about 5 minutes of pro experience and anyone who has read these rankings over the years know that toolsy guys are pushed up the rankings regardless of their stats, at least until they get to AA and flame out....or turn the corner.

• birdwatcher and wabene like this
🇨🇮

#23 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,155 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 02:48 PM

Don't know what to think about Cavaco, Seth.

It is correct that the Twins took him higher than a lot of people thought at draft time, isn't it?And I don't recall any first pick of ours doing this poorly in his first exposure to professional ball.I understand everything you have written about his tools.But having the tools doesn't always mean a young player will be a success.

There may be lots of circumstances related to his poor performance.But it was so bad it was more than disappointing, at least to me.So for me, ranking him #8 is too high, way too high. But he is a young Twin, so I remain hopeful he becomes the type of player the Twins drafted and proves me wrong.

As I recall, there was some concern that the team before them or two picks before them might take him. But yeah, he was targeted by the Twins and they were thrilled he was there.  

Likewise, putting up strong numbers in a pro debut doesn't necessarily indicate anything (though it's more fun). 

• birdwatcher likes this

#24 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 694 posts
  • LocationCumberland Center, Maine

Posted 10 February 2020 - 03:05 PM

It took me several years before I could figure out how to pronounce the blonde woman's name on The Big Bang Theory and now the Twins draft this kid. Can someone spell it phonetically for me?? At first I thought they drafted Keanu Reeves!
  • Sam Morley likes this

#25 ashbury

ashbury

Elizabethton Twins

• 25,148 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 10 February 2020 - 03:11 PM

Can someone spell it phonetically for me??

Ke-o-ni Ca-va-co.

HTH.

You should attempt to re-express your opponent’s position so clearly, vividly, and fairly that your opponent says, 'Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.'

#26 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 694 posts
  • LocationCumberland Center, Maine

Posted 10 February 2020 - 03:27 PM

Ke-o-ni Ca-va-co. HTH.

Accent on the middle syllable for each name? How do you pronounce HTH? Or even better, what does it mean?
  • gil4 likes this

#27 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• 10,118 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 03:45 PM

I was hoping the Twins would draft a pitcher but it wasn't a great draft. Cavaco was flying up the draft boards so he wasn't a reach. But he's a toolsy guy who will take time. Far too early to condemn the pick and I think his draft spot can support a top 10 placement (although on the TT poll, i had him lower)

#28 saviking

saviking

Elizabethton Twins

• 41 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 04:23 PM

Potentially having to learn how to say his name makes me want to trade him :) For now, I'm going to pretend he isn't on our team and hope to be surprised in the future. 38% strike out ratio? To have a hit tool don't you first have to hit the ball.

The best way to judge whether we made a good pick at #13 is to see how picks 14-18 develop. 

• LoveMyPug likes this

#29 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,309 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 04:32 PM

At this point, I think you'd have to rank him similarly with Urbina, as both have a long ways to go. 

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Analyzing the Past Decade of Vikings Offseasons

#30 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• 4,831 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 10 February 2020 - 07:42 PM

Super over-hype. Results matter. Can't wait for all the "young for the league" excuses.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#31 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,206 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 10 February 2020 - 08:01 PM

I'm willing to take his first year's stats with a grain of salt. The numbers were ugly, but if MLB teams gave up on every 18 year-old who hit below .200 in the rookie league we'd have missed out on some good players in this league.

This year I think fans (and more importantly the Twins brass) will be keeping a keen eye on this kid. I am guessing the Twins were just letting him do whatever came natural the first year, so they could see what they needed to change/re-work.

No need to panic, not just yet.

#32 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2020

• 10,283 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 10 February 2020 - 08:05 PM

I was hoping the Twins would draft a pitcher but it wasn't a great draft.

I beg to differ.Donuts to dollars, George Kirby and Zack Thompson who were both drafted after him, seem to be front to mid-rotation pitchers, like Berrios/Odorizzi level and will arrive faster. Thompson is already a non-roster invitee in the Cardinals' camp...

• Mike Sixel likes this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#33 ashbury

ashbury

Elizabethton Twins

• 25,148 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 10 February 2020 - 08:13 PM

Accent on the middle syllable for each name? How do you pronounce HTH? Or even better, what does it mean?

My "HTH" (Hope This Helps) was tongue-in-cheek to indicate I wasn't providing anything of much use.

More constructively, here is a televised interview. The introduction is cut off so we don't hear his name pronounced, but at around the 1:50 mark he pronounces his older brother's name, kee-OH-kee ka-VAH-ko, which kind of suggests the accent in the middle of his own first name too.

/ edit - this prospect hound pronounces his name with assurance that is hopefully well-placed. kee-AH-nee.

You should attempt to re-express your opponent’s position so clearly, vividly, and fairly that your opponent says, 'Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.'

#34 Rigby

Rigby

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 165 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 10 February 2020 - 08:14 PM

It took me several years before I could figure out how to pronounce the blonde woman's name on The Big Bang Theory and now the Twins draft this kid. Can someone spell it phonetically for me?? At first I thought they drafted Keanu Reeves!

Pen-EE

• 70charger likes this

#35 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,155 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 09:16 PM

Forgot to post this earlier, but here are our rankings on this:

Seth: 8

Nick: 9

Tom: 7

Cody: 7

#36 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,807 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 03:45 PM

Too high. He's currently basically the equivalent of a promising player in the Dominican league...regardless of where the Twins happened to have drafted him. In fact, I bet the Twins wish they could have played him in the Dominican league last year...because there didn't seem to be a league in affiliated ball where he was suited to play.

#37 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,629 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 05:29 PM

this seems quite high to me. Though, Fangraphs has him 8th.....so what do I know?

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#38 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 8,231 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 08:24 PM

Results matter, sure, but not over 25 games in rookie ball. That sample size is completely meaningless, and I'd say the same thing if he destroyed rookie ball pitching.
At this point, he should still be graded on his tools, in which case this ranking seems fair.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: keoni cavaco, byron buxton, royce lewis, joe mauer, torii hunter