Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Getting $10M better than getting a solid prospect?

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#101 Dman

Dman

• 1,935 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 09:59 AM

Few teams consistently do as well as we do in IFA. My thought was we have a book on him, much like the ones that helped the 2018 trade deadline.

Totally agree. With Polanco, Kepler, Sano, Graterol, Thrope, Arraez etc.Seems like they have a better hit rate than most clubs.

#102 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 23,904 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 10:29 AM

It is just hard to get excited about Camargo and his recent 642 OPS.Guy seems to have some serious holes in his swing.He can sting the ball like a major league player right now but if he rarely hits it then he'll never make it.Yeah he is only 20 and from what I understand he started the year out hot so maybe an injury dropped his performance but looking back at his stats this kind of feels like who he is.Also his defense at catcher isn't great either.Guy looks like a reclamation project and he is Rule V eligible this next year so lets say he does have a great year then they have to worry about protecting him right away.I fail to see the awesome upside.

Raley on the other hand is essentially ready to contribute right now. Granted he has his warts especially OBP but he looks like a near lock to contribute at the MLB level in some manner.There is still risk that he could end up AAAA but I think he will turn out.I don't see star potential there but at least 4th outfielder potential. I get that given the players in our system there is no spot for Raley and freeing up that 40 man spot has value for us as there will be interesting guys that get cut after spring training but to me it feels like Raley is more likely to make it to MLB than Camargo.

To your point though the guys that do this for a living seem to see pretty equal value for these guys from a prospect perspective.I think FanGraphs had both of them at 35+ FV so those that felt that was the swap might be correct.Being a Stat\numbers watcher Camargo feels more like a throw in than someone to dream on.But hey what do I know I thought Jeffers was a horrible draft pick too.All I am saying is that right now today it is hard to get excited about the guy so I can see why people are overlooking him.

But you're looking at the deal in a vacuum, which doesn't exist for front offices when making these decisions.

Right now, Raley is behind Cave and Wade but also consumes a 40-man roster spot. On top of having two people in front of him, he has two better prospects behind him as well, both of which could make the Minnesota roster this season. Camargo, while unimpressive, does not consume a 40-man roster spot and also plays a position of scarcity.

Raley's clock was ticking in the Twins organization. Unless he starts the 2020 season mashing, there's a good chance the Twins need to consider trying to sneak him through waivers by June or July to make room for the inevitable 40-man roster shuffle that happens mid-season because of injury and/or ineffectiveness.

So, from the Twins perspective, the move likely came down to moving a fungible (to them, anyway) commodity for something before risking losing him for nothing. They managed to get someone at least mildly interesting in return, someone they don't need to make a decision about for at least another eight months.

Sometimes, kicking the can down the road and shuffling prospects as roster management is the smart move and it appears this is one of those instances.

• Dman likes this

#103 Dman

Dman

• 1,935 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 11:06 AM

But you're looking at the deal in a vacuum, which doesn't exist for front offices when making these decisions.

Right now, Raley is behind Cave and Wade but also consumes a 40-man roster spot. On top of having two people in front of him, he has two better prospects behind him as well, both of which could make the Minnesota roster this season. Camargo, while unimpressive, does not consume a 40-man roster spot and also plays a position of scarcity.

Raley's clock was ticking in the Twins organization. Unless he starts the 2020 season mashing, there's a good chance the Twins need to consider trying to sneak him through waivers by June or July to make room for the inevitable 40-man roster shuffle that happens mid-season because of injury and/or ineffectiveness.

So, from the Twins perspective, the move likely came down to moving a fungible (to them, anyway) commodity for something before risking losing him for nothing. They managed to get someone at least mildly interesting in return, someone they don't need to make a decision about for at least another eight months.

Sometimes, kicking the can down the road and shuffling prospects as roster management is the smart move and it appears this is one of those instances.

I have never been a part of a FO so likely don't understand how these deals go down.I am a fan that loves the players I follow and probably values them a little bit too highly.Reading the tea leaves on this one though the Dodgers technically have someone that can do what Raley does in Garlick and they were willing to designate him for Raley so they must see something in Raley that they like long term to add him to their 40 man.I just thought the Twins could get more for Raley than a Camargo type prospect, but maybe that is easier said than done.

You are right though I am looking at this in a vacuum. Maybe part of getting the Maeda deal done is Raley and the draft pick with Raley's value over Camargo translated into a little more cash.Hard to say not knowing what was discussed so looking at it as Raley for Camargo is all wrong. I just didn't care for the return that MN got back as a prospect.That doesn't mean I am right, as putting the stat line ahead of everything doesn't always work.I hope Jair finds his stroke and makes me look like a fool.I have never seen him play so have very little idea of what he can do. It's just not a return that is easy for me to see the positives and get behind.

#104 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 23,904 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 12:47 PM

I have never been a part of a FO so likely don't understand how these deals go down.I am a fan that loves the players I follow and probably values them a little bit too highly.Reading the tea leaves on this one though the Dodgers technically have someone that can do what Raley does in Garlick and they were willing to designate him for Raley so they must see something in Raley that they like long term to add him to their 40 man.I just thought the Twins could get more for Raley than a Camargo type prospect, but maybe that is easier said than done.

You are right though I am looking at this in a vacuum. Maybe part of getting the Maeda deal done is Raley and the draft pick with Raley's value over Camargo translated into a little more cash.Hard to say not knowing what was discussed so looking at it as Raley for Camargo is all wrong. I just didn't care for the return that MN got back as a prospect.That doesn't mean I am right, as putting the stat line ahead of everything doesn't always work.I hope Jair finds his stroke and makes me look like a fool.I have never seen him play so have very little idea of what he can do. It's just not a return that is easy for me to see the positives and get behind.

Raley originally came from the Dodgers. Now that they have him back, I suspect there's something they really like about him. It may have been a strong request to get the deal done that he returns to LA, dunno.

• Dman likes this

#105 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,689 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 12:54 PM

Accepting something and being frustrated by it is incongruent

Not at all. Maybe displeased is a better word? I accept that the Twins can't spend like drunken sailors, but it still disappoints me when they didn't in the past.

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#106 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 10,026 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 13 February 2020 - 12:58 PM

Another way of looking at the additions to the trade is now and later. Right now the Twins get $10M when their payroll is as high as it's ever been and the Dodgers get Raley, a viable recall option at some point this season. Later, the Dodgers get a competitive balance pick and the Twins hope to cash a lottery ticket on Camargo, who isn't on the 40-man roster and plays a position of scarcity and has some tools. 

• Dman likes this

#107 Dman

Dman

• 1,935 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 01:16 PM

Raley originally came from the Dodgers. Now that they have him back, I suspect there's something they really like about him. It may have been a strong request to get the deal done that he returns to LA, dunno.

Hey any chance you can enlighten me on exit velocity?I understand the importance as it allows for more chances for hits and home runs but is it more important than the hit tool itself?It seems like the Twins seem to think so to a greater degree than I had originally thought.Is the thinking who cares if you hit 240 or 250 if your slugging is higher then the odds are better for scoring runs?I think I might be behind the times here. 

Camargo's raw power at 65 is a number I have rarely seen that is Rooker level power.So the thinking is he will likely get better at the plate and since he has the raw power already that makes him MLB ready?I am not sure I follow the logic yet.It seems that without a good hit tool you can't get a good outcome in OPS because you create too many outs.The Twins always seem to be seeking guys with good raw power numbers do they feel they can train these guys well enough to get the hit tool to an acceptable level to make the power work?That is all I can come up with for Camargo.He is young and swings a heavy bat.Let's hope he can take walks and hit the ball once in a while.

#108 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 23,904 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 01:41 PM

Hey any chance you can enlighten me on exit velocity?I understand the importance as it allows for more chances for hits and home runs but is it more important than the hit tool itself?It seems like the Twins seem to think so to a greater degree than I had originally thought.Is the thinking who cares if you hit 240 or 250 if your slugging is higher then the odds are better for scoring runs?I think I might be behind the times here. 

Camargo's raw power at 65 is a number I have rarely seen that is Rooker level power.So the thinking is he will likely get better at the plate and since he has the raw power already that makes him MLB ready?I am not sure I follow the logic yet.It seems that without a good hit tool you can't get a good outcome in OPS because you create too many outs.The Twins always seem to be seeking guys with good raw power numbers do they feel they can train these guys well enough to get the hit tool to an acceptable level to make the power work?That is all I can come up with for Camargo.He is young and swings a heavy bat.Let's hope he can take walks and hit the ball once in a while.

I haven't read this (or if I did, it was years ago and I don't remember it) but I suspect this will point you in the right direction better than I could stumble through in a brief post.

https://blogs.fangra...ty-for-hitters/

#109 old nurse

old nurse

• 4,066 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 04:49 PM

How does everyone keep leaving Camargo out of the deal? To the Twins (and likely Dodgers, too), his value is similar to Raley if only because of positional scarcity and the fact he’s nowhere near the 40-man roster.

Luke Raley's value to the Dodgers may be that he is the disaster plan. He hit well in the International league. He has options so they can keep him around.The Twins have one more year of Jake Cave for that role and LaMonte Wade. 

Camargo is more like the draft pick than he is Raley. He has some tools but it is unknown if they will develop. The difference is the draft pick should have a better chance of reaching that level of development.

• Brock Beauchamp likes this

#110 spycake

spycake

• 18,122 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 08:33 PM

There was some question about whether this was $10M spread over 4 years, or $10M this year.

It was reported yesterday that the $10M is immediate. No spreading.

It is immediate, but it may not be $10 mil. According to this, the Dodgers are paying the $3 mil base, plus $1 mil assignment bonus, plus up to $7 mil in incentives this year:

The writer clarified, in a later reply, that if the Maeda doesn’t earn those incentives in 2020, that means the Dodgers will pay less.

So if you count the assignment bonus, it sounds like the Twins will get between $4 mil and $11 mil from the Dodgers in 2020, depending on what incentive level Maeda reaches.
  • Sconnie and Dman like this

#111 Sconnie

Sconnie

Wooo!

• 6,136 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 14 February 2020 - 05:43 AM

yeah, I can picture something along the lines of: “we’ll take Graterol off your hands for Maeda, but we want Raley back too”, then comes the negotiation on the mix of flier and cash to even things out for the Twins.

#112 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• Banned
  • 2,037 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 14 February 2020 - 07:39 AM

"I'm under orders from ownership to dump Maeda's salary. I'll pick up the freight the first year and include someone who can catch him. All I need from you is 2 warm bodies who can deal with nice weather everyday."

#113 spycake

spycake

• 18,122 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 08:28 AM

It's not much of a salary dump (the Dodgers could have simply released him and only owed $12 mil).

I think they just realized they were going to be far enough over the luxury tax threshold with Betts and Price anyway, so they might as well use start using cash to buy more assets this year (in this case, mainly the draft pick and its accompanying bonus pool value).

#114 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 23,904 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 09:38 AM

yeah, I can picture something along the lines of: “we’ll take Graterol off your hands for Maeda, but we want Raley back too”, then comes the negotiation on the mix of flier and cash to even things out for the Twins.

Definitely. That's kinda what I picture as well.

#115 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 23,904 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 09:39 AM

I think they just realized they were going to be far enough over the luxury tax threshold with Betts and Price anyway, so they might as well use start using cash to buy more assets this year (in this case, mainly the draft pick and its accompanying bonus pool value).

I keep meaning to research this but haven't had the time: didn't the Dodgers reset their luxury tax a couple of years ago? I haven't checked the structuring and years of the current threshold but if they reset a couple of years ago, moving all that money in a single year makes the most sense, as the penalties only grow in time.

#116 spycake

spycake

• 18,122 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 11:21 AM

I keep meaning to research this but haven't had the time: didn't the Dodgers reset their luxury tax a couple of years ago? I haven't checked the structuring and years of the current threshold but if they reset a couple of years ago, moving all that money in a single year makes the most sense, as the penalties only grow in time.

Yes. The Dodgers have actually been under the threshold each of the past two seasons (2018 & 2019), after being way over for a few years prior.

And they can probably go way over again this year, and maybe even reset again next winter (pending FAs Betts, Turner, etc.).

#117 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

not so negative

• 9,962 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 03:27 PM

What is a "solid prospect" exactly?

A keeper.

A liquid prospect would be for trading, me thinks.
  • Mike Sixel likes this