Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Twins out on deal

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#81 Battle ur tail off

Battle ur tail off

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 654 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 10:45 AM

Not sure how I feel about this in total. I'd say it's probably a fair trade. Seems to me though, it could have/should have been worked with just a straight up Graterol for Maeda swap. 

Not sure why they would want to give up that draft pick + Raley for cash? That said, its another outfielder and he probably doesn't fit into any of our plans, the pick is kind of where I have a little pause. Twins will probably have to turn that 10 mil into pitching of some sort though IMO. Whether it is through another trade at a later point, a FA signing down the line, etc. 

#82 spycake

spycake

• 17,672 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 10:50 AM

Not sure how I feel about this in total. I'd say it's probably a fair trade. Seems to me though, it could have/should have been worked with just a straight up Graterol for Maeda swap. 

Not sure why they would want to give up that draft pick + Raley for cash?

I think the extra parts of the deal were required by the Dodgers, maybe to compensate for similar health concerns that Boston had.

Not that we did poorly on the extra parts of the deal here, though. Raley was pretty fungible, the 67th pick would have been nice but $10 mil is a good price.

• Twins33, Dman and Battle ur tail off like this

#83 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 23,266 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 10:59 AM

I think this was a good trade. Use the extra money to resign Berrios to a long term deal.

If they find a way to flip every penny of that $10m into an extra year or two of Berrios, the trade becomes great.

But I don't think that will happen, unfortunately. And not necessarily because the Twins are being cheap, I just don't believe Berrios is interested in an extension.

• Twins33 likes this

#84 akmanak

akmanak

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 505 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 11:53 AM

If they find a way to flip every penny of that $10m into an extra year or two of Berrios, the trade becomes great.

But I don't think that will happen, unfortunately. And not necessarily because the Twins are being cheap, I just don't believe Berrios is interested in an extension.

Unfortunately I believe you are correct.

#85 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Twins Daily Staff
  • 2,020 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 12:01 PM

I just don't believe Berrios is interested in an extension.

Agree. I also wonder how trading Graterol affects Berrios' feelings toward the organization, as they seem to have turned into good buddies.

#LaMakina #ElNinoMakina

Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 45, Speed: 45. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but will sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

#86 spycake

spycake

• 17,672 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 12:06 PM

Yeah, and I don't think the availability of $10 mil has ever been the hold-up over a Berrios extension. The Twins have always had enough financial flexibility to make that work.

• USAFChief, Twins33 and Dman like this

#87 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,862 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 10 February 2020 - 01:55 PM

Not sure why they would want to give up that draft pick + Raley for cash? That said, its another outfielder and he probably doesn't fit into any of our plans, the pick is kind of where I have a little pause. Twins will probably have to turn that 10 mil into pitching of some sort though IMO. Whether it is through another trade at a later point, a FA signing down the line, etc. 

Isn't there a player coming back from LA as well, or was that an unsubstantiated rumor?

#88 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,532 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 02:45 PM

Isn't there a player coming back from LA as well, or was that an unsubstantiated rumor?

It all seems like unsubstantiated rumor at this point, this seems like an awfully long hold up. Geez, take the Red Sox out of the equation and there's no one to unethically leak privileged medical information!

The Maeda and Graterol medicals should have already been evaluated and nobody knows Raley as well as the Dodgers do. Have we not heard of a conclusion to this because there's haggling about the "prospect" going back to the Twins? Maybe how the $10M is structured? Is it possible the Angels want back in so there's some new twists and turns with that end?

#89 Sconnie

Sconnie

Wooo!

• 5,699 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 10 February 2020 - 08:22 PM

It all seems like unsubstantiated rumor at this point, this seems like an awfully long hold up. Geez, take the Red Sox out of the equation and there's no one to unethically leak privileged medical information!

The Maeda and Graterol medicals should have already been evaluated and nobody knows Raley as well as the Dodgers do. Have we not heard of a conclusion to this because there's haggling about the "prospect" going back to the Twins? Maybe how the $10M is structured? Is it possible the Angels want back in so there's some new twists and turns with that end?

Jair Carmago A ball catcher is coming back.
http://m.startribune...cher/567745652/

#90 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 189 posts
  • LocationBelo Horizonte, Brazil

Posted 11 February 2020 - 08:00 AM

I want to make something very clear. I`m not against obtaining Maeda, he`s an definitely upgrade from Bailey. But I`d like to point out some things

#1 LA used him as a substitute starter & if we use him as LA did limiting his inning we`ll be fine but if we depend on him for constantly pitch 7 innings we`re in trouble.

In the beginning of last year our pitching rotation was fantastic & our BP was pretty good. Perez was our best pitcher & even Blake was pitching pretty good (I was surprised because I was totally against getting him) but our pitching was a house of cards. Blake was pitching over himself, when he folded the whole BP folded & when the BP folded we had to try to milk every inning out of Perez & Gibson (they pitched much more than even Odorizzi) which proved disastrous. Maeda is like Perez & should be treated as such.

#2 I don`t know if anyone here is a stock market investor but rule #1 is don`t sell when your stock hits bottom.

PIT has a good eye for pitching talent but don`t know how to develop it. Case study #1 Cole, when he left PIT for Houston his stock took off. #2 Chris Archer has a lot of upside potential that PIT couldn`t utilize, last year his #s were terrible . Archer`s stock was very low if PIT wanted to trade he could have been had for a low prospect but intelligently didn`t, now with hope of new coaching his stock I believe has 3X (which is still a bargain)

That said I contest that MN obligated Graterol to the BP thus lowering his trade value that being done they shouldn`t have even considered trading him. & w/ the Boston fiasco that made it more ridiculous to trade him. LA was determined to trade Maeda if they thought Graterol was damaged goods, they would have suggested a different prospect. But the fact is LA has an eye for impact pitching & knew Graterol true value drooled over the opportunity to get him at bargain basement.

LA came off looking pretty good for taking this "damage goods"from us but the truth is that they pulled a fast one over a desperate FO wanting to appease an angry fan base for not signing a impact pitcher. Maeda is a more valuable pitcher than Graterol for the beginning of this season but he`s not an impact pitcher & in the longer run he won`t be more valuable than Graterol. If FO really wanted Maeda they should have offered a appropriate positional prospect which we have in abundance & stand patt!!! 

#3 LA is an established pitching organization, they develop their pitchers. W/ Maeda what you see is what you get so there is no hope of him improving much more than where he`s at right now. PIT on the other hand is notorious for not being able to develop their pitchers as stated before & now they are in a rebuilding mode so they are desperate for good prospects. Musgrove & Archer could be had reasonably to very reasonably w/o trading away our most valuable prospects where we at our weakest & both have more room to develop. I`m saying we could do better 

#4 We have Berrios who is motivated to make Graterol his mentee. This relationship is much like Cruz-Sano a condition which inspires both of them to excel. Graterol is a hook to keep Berrios here. W/o him I don`t know if Berrios would want to stay w/o an ridiculous offer. So when we lost Graterol I believe we lost lot more than just him

#91 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• 1,910 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 11 February 2020 - 08:49 AM

Maeda is closer to Gerrit Cole than Perez. Cole is a true ace, Maeda is a solid #3, Perez is in the indeterminable number of #5's.